Ochocinco invites grieving widow he never met to wedding...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's had some mishaps.

I think he's generally a fun loving good guy - but he's earned some bad press too.

(fighting coaches at half time during a playoff game, for example)

Yes. Because no other player in the NFL has ever fought with a coach. Players and coaches get along 24/7 even during practice, training camps and during games and even locker rooms. Gotcha.

I always hear...

"Why can't receivers be less of a diva and more like Marvin Harrison. All he does is shut up. Catches footballs and acts like he's been there so he's a model NFL player." But he gets away with murder so he's OK. Chad Ochocinco yaps, dances and tweets so he's a villain.

I get it and understand now.

Thanks.

Yes. Because no other player in the NFL has ever fought with a coach. Players and coaches get along 24/7 even during practice, training camps and during games and even locker rooms. Gotcha.

I always hear...

"Why can't receivers be less of a diva and more like Marvin Harrison. All he does is shut up. Catches footballs and acts like he's been there so he's a model NFL player." But he gets away with murder so he's OK. Chad Ochocinco yaps, dances and tweets so he's a villain.

I get it and understand now.

Thanks.

Its alleged that the playoff game that Palmer was hurt in, he put his helmet through a window, had Hue Jackson in a headlock, possibly connected with a punch to Lewis all because he only had two catches in the first half.

Even if you don't buy that, it was a team desperate for veteran leadership, and even if his weekly challenges to authority seemed harmless oil sure they were awful for that locker room.

Now it's said that he doesn't follow through on several of these big twitter gifts....

Screw. That. Guy.

Our standards for "good guys" is disappointing. He made me laugh seems to be plenty enough for most. It's not often but I'm with weo on this one.

All you proved with the Harrison reference is we don't really know any of these guys off the field.

Edited by NoSaint

I hate to say this, but the attitude and negative outlook you seem to have about most things lead me to believe you need to get laid in the worst way...

When you have nothing to counter with, you say something like this. Well done.

Sorry to rain on your OC love parade but I was just trying to help you out. As NoSaint says, some of you guys have an inch high threshold for hero worship. When other people point this out to you, you should crumble like this. Pointing out the silliness of a post does not mean I have a "negative outlook"--just with regard to bullsh*t, I guess.

I would imagine getting laid in the worst way is a topic you could no doubt tell us all about.....

Edited by Mr. WEO

I've never heard him described as "a delinquent", actually. He's just a self-promoter, that's all. All of his "acts" of kindness seem to make it into the public eye. If he was silent about his charitable gifting, etc., I wouldn't question his "heart".

Seems like since his career hit the skids the past few seasons, he has taken to social media/internet/airwaves to remind us all he's still here and actually a great guy. He's a football player.

Wasn't it Warrick Dunn who bought houses for single mothers (over 100 if I remember correctly)? I think that there was even an "Outside the Lines" special and some news paper articles that discussed those purchases in the early 2000s. I think Oprah made a big deal about it too. Anyway...

Do you think that those were self-promotional acts?

Wasn't it Warrick Dunn who bought houses for single mothers (over 100 if I remember correctly)? I think that there was even an "Outside the Lines" special and some news paper articles that discussed those purchases in the early 2000s. I think Oprah made a big deal about it too. Anyway...

Do you think that those were self-promotional acts?

No I don't. Those were actual significant charitable acts and Warrick Dunn Charities is an actual charitable organization. He doesn't promote himself, he promotes his charity--and he's still doing it years after he started it as a rookie.

There is an obvious difference between that and the OP's reason for posting this thread--which was to point out what a great guy OC is for inviting a twitter follower to his wedding...on twitter.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I hate to say this, but the attitude and negative outlook you seem to have about most things lead me to believe you need to get laid in the worst way...

I'm not touching the "getting laid" part, but I'd be curious if anyone else can ever remember him actually being positive about anything, in particular any move the Bills have ever made. I personally don't recall it, but I obviously don't read everything written here. That said, I honestly can't remember offhand any single positive post the esteemed Senor WEO has ever made on this board, about anything (except perhaps the Patriots*).....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Chad-Ochocinco-makes-one-young-fan-s-dream-come-?urn=nfl,244600

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-57390696-10391697/chad-ochocinco-sprayed-by-lion-at-charity-event/

http://voices.yahoo.com/chad-ochocinco-does-charity-work-5344599.html

http://www.carbonated.tv/blogs/charity-bull-ride-does-chad-ochocinco-have-more-substance-than-we-thought

http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=usw_ochocinco

This is all from a very simple Google search of Chad Ochocincho and charity. This from the first page of 412,000 total entries, but you get the picture. Say what you want about the guy on the field or the fact that he may not be all that "booksmart" bright, but it's pretty clear that his heart's in the right place and does give his time, money and name to charity, unlike many other players in the League (and, to be fair, like many others as well).....

look at twitter feeds for 'celebs' and they are full of people asking for retweets, prayers, shout-outs etc....it seems odd to me, but it is very prevalent, but I applaud Chad for doing this, i don't think he did it to create something. Bravo to him for being a decent guy.

Why would someone tweet ochocinco to pray for them? And why would she want to go to his wedding? Interesting human interest story OC has created....

I'm not touching the "getting laid" part, but I'd be curious if anyone else can ever remember him actually being positive about anything, in particular any move the Bills have ever made. I personally don't recall it, but I obviously don't read everything written here. That said, I honestly can't remember offhand any single positive post the esteemed Senor WEO has ever made on this board, about anything (except perhaps the Patriots*).....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Chad-Ochocinco-makes-one-young-fan-s-dream-come-?urn=nfl,244600

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-57390696-10391697/chad-ochocinco-sprayed-by-lion-at-charity-event/

http://voices.yahoo.com/chad-ochocinco-does-charity-work-5344599.html

http://www.carbonated.tv/blogs/charity-bull-ride-does-chad-ochocinco-have-more-substance-than-we-thought

http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=usw_ochocinco

This is all from a very simple Google search of Chad Ochocincho and charity. This from the first page of 412,000 total entries, but you get the picture. Say what you want about the guy on the field or the fact that he may not be all that "booksmart" bright, but it's pretty clear that his heart's in the right place and does give his time, money and name to charity, unlike many other players in the League (and, to be fair, like many others as well).....

You missed a few:

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/06/25/chad-johnson-settles-in-bogus-raffle-suit/

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/blog/_/name/assael_shaun/id/6225341/chad-ochocinco-clothing-dispute

Yeah, I did that search yesterday. The lion pissing on OC sums it up. You don't seem to understand the differece between showing up to charitable events (OC handing the certificate of attendance to that kid for a football camp paid for by Deion Sanders sums it up nicely as well..) and running charitable organizations, which is the point I was making. Until someone posted it today, I didn't know that Dunn had given away 115 houses. Or that Asomugha helps provide water, food and shelter to widows and orphans in Nigeria. How is that possible??

Anyway, congrats on almost making it through a single post without mentioning the patriots....

Edited by Mr. WEO

I think its kind of insulting to the woman. "Hey, your husband of 30 years just died a few weeks ago? Why don't you come down to see me get married, that won't bring up any painful memories of your husband!"

Its a nice PR move, gonna bring some good press to you and lots of people will go on about how sweet and nice he is for doing it, I just think that the last thing you want after your spouse of decades passes away is to go see another couple go get married

My thoughts exactly.

Its alleged that the playoff game that Palmer was hurt in, he put his helmet through a window, had Hue Jackson in a headlock, possibly connected with a punch to Lewis all because he only had two catches in the first half.

Even if you don't buy that, it was a team desperate for veteran leadership, and even if his weekly challenges to authority seemed harmless oil sure they were awful for that locker room.

Now it's said that he doesn't follow through on several of these big twitter gifts....

Screw. That. Guy.

Our standards for "good guys" is disappointing. He made me laugh seems to be plenty enough for most. It's not often but I'm with weo on this one.

All you proved with the Harrison reference is we don't really know any of these guys off the field.

lol. C'mon. Really? Sorry but I don't buy that at all. Bengals at the time were a team desperate for veteran leadership? Mr. Brown fills the locker room full of delinquents, trouble makers, castaways, and it's Ochocinco's responsibility to right the ship and keep it from sinking? To me, this is a team that's just destined to fail every single year. Who knows what is said in the huddle and in the locker room. Who's to know if Chad tried, failed and just gave up, but to label Chad as a player who "doesn't care" or is a "cancer to the locker room" is unfair.

my impression is that his wedding was in an exotic location and it was more about providing her an all expense paid trip to some tropical island, and oh by the way, there is a wedding...

My thoughts exactly.

No I don't. Those were actual significant charitable acts and Warrick Dunn Charities is an actual charitable organization. He doesn't promote himself, he promotes his charity--and he's still doing it years after he started it as a rookie.

There is an obvious difference between that and the OP's reason for posting this thread--which was to point out what a great guy OC is for inviting a twitter follower to his wedding...on twitter.

Understood.

I thought that based on that one post you were saying that if something gets pub, it is self-promotional. I was just pointing out that sometimes publicity flows naturally out of the generosity.

I don't know which Ocho Cincos is so I'll conclude the thought there.

Understood.

I thought that based on that one post you were saying that if something gets pub, it is self-promotional. I was just pointing out that sometimes publicity flows naturally out of the generosity.

I don't know which Ocho Cincos is so I'll conclude the thought there.

No problem, #8. I will repeat that there is nothing wrong with promoting one's self or one's charity, but they are no the same. OC's self-promotion uses charity (i'm being kind here) to get some to say "OC? Great guy, great guy". As you can see, he has achieved some success...

I think its kind of insulting to the woman. "Hey, your husband of 30 years just died a few weeks ago? Why don't you come down to see me get married, that won't bring up any painful memories of your husband!"

Its a nice PR move, gonna bring some good press to you and lots of people will go on about how sweet and nice he is for doing it, I just think that the last thing you want after your spouse of decades passes away is to go see another couple go get married

I disagree completely. Do you choose to sulk and get bitter when you lose someone that you love? Or, do you share in an awesome experience like someone getting married? Is she supposed to feel insulted and bitter every time she sees a young married couple from now on?

I disagree completely. Do you choose to sulk and get bitter when you lose someone that you love? Or, do you share in an awesome experience like someone getting married? Is she supposed to feel insulted and bitter every time she sees a young married couple from now on?

my first gut reaction would be that this soon, a wedding might be a bit tough. theres really no shame in that.

Exactly. It's an extremely nice thing to do for her. Good job CJ.

my impression is that his wedding was in an exotic location and it was more about providing her an all expense paid trip to some tropical island, and oh by the way, there is a wedding...

It's quite possible he had to move his wedding to a tropical island. The reason would be that NONE of the big name hotels in Miami would let him book it at their facilities. There reasons included not wanting the negative publicity that comes with a OC "event".

TMZ reported it quite awhile back.