Happy Fourth of July

Nice grammar and lisp. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes: You seem to get into hissy fits rather easily. Just sayin'.

But you didn't read the f'n tweets that the thread was based on, and you'd rather criticize me on the basis of what a couple other posters said? I freely admitted that I was busting your groupie twin's balls to give him back a little of his own medicine, but that was based on his comments, and not anything to do with the OP. This thread wasn't based on the article but on the tweets themselves. If you had read through this thread you would have known that. You're just another liberal who has grown up on the shortcut diet of hubris and Koolaide.

Keep Digging 3RD! Keep digging, China's down there somewhere!

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep Digging 3RD! Keep digging, China's down there somewhere!

You are becoming the most ridiculous ass here. Conner should be worried. Let me give you a hint, when you can't refute something, STFU. You haven't posted one thing here of any import but hey, keep trying

Nice grammar and lisp. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rolleyes: You seem to get into hissy fits rather easily. Just sayin'.

But you didn't read the f'n tweets that the thread was based on, and you'd rather criticize me on the basis of what a couple other posters said? I freely admitted that I was busting your groupie twin's balls to give him back a little of his own medicine, but that was based on his comments, and not anything to do with the OP. This thread wasn't based on the article but on the tweets themselves. If you had read through this thread you would have known that. You're just another liberal who has grown up on the shortcut diet of hubris and Koolaide.

...Two days later and you still refuse to espouse an actual opinion on the Rock tweet itself.

Not that I expected you to, but it'd be nice if you had at least a crumb of intellectual honesty on this board. At least Crayonz tries to entertain with his posts. You could learn a thing or two from your alter ego.

...Two days later and you still refuse to espouse an actual opinion on the Rock tweet itself.

Not that I expected you to, but it'd be nice if you had at least a crumb of intellectual honesty on this board. At least Crayonz tries to entertain with his posts. You could learn a thing or two from your alter ego.

Try as you might, I'm not letting you change the intent of this thread. All you've tried to do is argue with sideshows. With that said, I thought Rock's comment was a snarky way of putting Independence Day down because it didn't include freeing the slaves. Was it as bad as the people claiming America is guilty of genocide or saying !@#$ America? No. Now you got your wish. I responded, but I won't be drawn into some debate with you over Chris Rock's singular statement.

You're one to talk about intellectual honesty. You changed what someone said and put quotation marks around it to try to make them look silly.

Try as you might, I'm not letting you change the intent of this thread. All you've tried to do is argue with sideshows. With that said, I thought Rock's comment was a snarky way of putting Independence Day down because it didn't include freeing the slaves. Was it as bad as the people claiming America is guilty of genocide or saying !@#$ America? No. Now you got your wish. I responded, but I won't be drawn into some debate with you over Chris Rock's singular statement.

You're one to talk about intellectual honesty. You changed what someone said and put quotation marks around it to try to make them look silly.

Does this constitute being un-American in your mind?

Regardless of tone (which I agree was tweeted with a sharp bite -- the man is a social critic after all), isn't what Rock said true? America began its journey towards becoming a free country in 1776, but didn't cross the finish line until many years later.

By tweeting this on the 4th, Rock is not only demonstrating his right to free speech, but also provoking a discourse on America's history of slavery. The tweet got people from both sides of the discussion to speak out -- some crazy, some not -- and force the people in this thread to think about the nation's history warts and all. What better day to do that than on our nation's birthday?

This isn't un-American -- it's the market place of ideas.

No but you're jumping in to support the clown who did.

Where were you on July 4th 1776? Where was your Grandfather? Do the facts of history only count when you like them? Like it or not what he says about slavery is true. Independance Day for our Country is and always will be July 4th. However Independence Day for a certain segment of our citizens is Jan 1st.

I'm not positive what GFYM means, nor do I much care, but if it's what I suspect it is then you've just proven how big of an idiot you actually are.

With progressives it's all about moving forward............ok, well not always. Sometimes they have to go back 250 years.

With progressives it's all about moving forward............ok, well not always. Sometimes they have to go back 250 years.

Sometimes you need to look at where you came from to see where you're going. Are you saying there's no value in that?

Sometimes you need to look at where you came from to see where you're going. Are you saying there's no value in that?

Except when a prorgressive bags on a conservative for doing the exact same thing.

But you're saying there's value in going back 150 amd 250 years to make sure we don't repeat slavery? It's over, it's done, it sucked but hopefully as a country we can get past that. I guess some of us can't.

Except when a prorgressive bags on a conservative for doing the exact same thing.

But you're saying there's value in going back 150 amd 250 years to make sure we don't repeat slavery? It's over, it's done, it sucked but hopefully as a country we can get past that. I guess some of us can't.

I didn't mean to defend progressives exclusively with my statement. Should have made that more clear, my bad.

I'm not saying that it's necessary to avoid repeating slavery -- I was speaking in more general terms about knowing where we came from as a nation/people/civlization. My people came here under their own volition (religiously motivated Swedes -- they do exist), but I see value in remembering that less than 60 years ago, legal segregation was still in place in sections of our country. That's not ancient history. That's last week in a historical perspective.

Do I dwell on this? No, of course not. Nor does Rock I would venture to guess. There's a difference between "getting past" something and forgetting it ever happened -- or how it was resolved.

I hear what you are saying... It is just the issue has never been fully resolved. As a country, we we given a "leg up" due to slavery... Heck there are still companies in business that gained an advantage from the institution of slavery.

Really... We sadly lost about 65 years (1890 to 1955) where we actually went backwards as a nation.

True... We are never gonna make up for that and gotta go forward. We gotta get past it, but it shouldn't come without some sort of reconcilation. It isn't over and done for many.

I hear what you are saying... It is just the issue has never been fully resolved. As a country, we we given a "leg up" due to slavery... Heck there are still companies in business that gained an advantage from the institution of slavery.

Really... We sadly lost about 65 years (1890 to 1955) where we actually went backwards as a nation.

True... We are never gonna make up for that and gotta go forward. We gotta get past it, but it shouldn't come without some sort of reconcilation. It isn't over and done for many.

Please explain how this country went backwards from 1890 to 1955.

Regardless of tone (which I agree was tweeted with a sharp bite -- the man is a social critic after all), isn't what Rock said true? America began its journey towards becoming a free country in 1776, but didn't cross the finish line until many years later.

By tweeting this on the 4th, Rock is not only demonstrating his right to free speech, but also provoking a discourse on America's history of slavery. The tweet got people from both sides of the discussion to speak out -- some crazy, some not -- and force the people in this thread to think about the nation's history warts and all. What better day to do that than on our nation's birthday?

The thread was about all the tweets bashing America. You know, the ones claiming that we are guilty of genocide, worst country on earth, etc. I was offended by those tweets. That's why I started the thread.

Please explain how this country went backwards from 1890 to 1955.

Well, we certainly did when FDR was in power. You know, the first guy to go on TV and have a fireside chat with the people of all 57 states?

Edited by 3rdnlng

The thread was about all the tweets bashing America. You know, the ones claiming that we are guilty of genocide, worst country on earth, etc. I was offended by those tweets. That's why I started the thread.

So, for the sake of clarity, Chris Rock's tweet did not offend you?

I think we need a new rule here that when in a post two posters have more than 75% the posts in that thread we lock them in their own thread and let them go around in circles alone in there. Kind of ruins a thread.

There are still two sides on the discussion of slavery?

Is "social critic" the new term for "subpar comic"?

I know the question wasn't directed at me but I'd like to answer anyway. It didn't offend me, it annoyed me. It's one of those comments that's supposed to be witty, but is so trite, unoriginal, and cliche that I just roll my eyes. It's bad comedy, for the aforementioned reasons, and from the racial standpoint it's taking a fairly myopic view and it's also stirring the pot. Yeah, we get it Chris, your ancestors were still slaves when America declared indepedence and I'm holding back a big tear for you. But who is really celebrating the politics of the American revolution when they celebrate Independence day, honestly?

If I say yes or if I say no, you are going to continue your attempts to hijack this thread and make it about Chris Rock, instead of all the aholes that were the basis of this thread. I'm not taking the bait. I already told you what I thought.

I know the question wasn't directed at me but I'd like to answer anyway. It didn't offend me, it annoyed me. It's one of those comments that's supposed to be witty, but is so trite, unoriginal, and cliche that I just roll my eyes. It's bad comedy, for the aforementioned reasons, and from the racial standpoint it's taking a fairly myopic view and it's also stirring the pot. Yeah, we get it Chris, your ancestors were still slaves when America declared indepedence and I'm holding back a big tear for you. But who is really celebrating the politics of the American revolution when they celebrate Independence day, honestly?

Which, I would argue, was Rock's intention. Because if you're annoyed, you're talking about it.