Happy Fourth of July

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are still two sides on the discussion of slavery?

Is "social critic" the new term for "subpar comic"?

At his height, I would classify Chris Rock as being one of the best stand ups to ever take the stage. He can't act to save his life, but as far as stand up goes, he's up there with the all time greats: Carlan, Bruce, Pryor, Cosby, Kinison, Seinfeld.

And if his intention is to be annoying then I think he's a douche bag. And no longer funny.

Which is more than a fair reaction.

But I think we can both agree that calling him anti-American for saying it, as 3rd is attempting to do, is just silly.

At his height, I would classify Chris Rock as being one of the best stand ups to ever take the stage. He can't act to save his life, but as far as stand up goes, he's up there with the all time greats: Carlan, Bruce, Pryor, Cosby, Kinison, Seinfeld.

Which is more than a fair reaction.

But I think we can both agree that calling him anti-American for saying it, as 3rd is attempting to do, is just silly.

Doing everything you can to draw me in, eh? Do you have a link to that or are you just using hyperbole?

I think we need a new rule here that when in a post two posters have more than 75% the posts in that thread we lock them in their own thread and let them go around in circles alone in there. Kind of ruins a thread.

I've been asking the same question which he won't answer. He's absurd, I'll grant you, just like this thread, and my attempts to have a reasonable conversation with him are probably futile. But considering the OP posts 90% of the most outlandish stuff on PPP and is also the quickest poster to resort to hyperbolic declarations like calling someone an American hater, I think it's fair to try to determine what, if anything, he actually believes in when he makes these ridiculous posts.

Doing everything you can to draw me in, eh? Do you have a link to that or are you just using hyperbole?

Not only did you call me an America hater (multiple times) in this thread, the topic heading alone points to that conclusion. "Happy Fourth of July to all you patriots ... and to hell with all these !@#$s" -- to which you linked an article which, despite its misleading headline, focuses on Chris Rock's tweet. Every other tweet was in response either in support of, or against, Chris Rock's original tweet. Or, in your mind, people who AREN'T patriots.

So no. Not hyperbole. Just your own statements.

Edited by tgreg99

He was funny in the 90s. It really is a shame watching genuinely funny people lose their touch. His last stand-up was hardly worth sitting through. Maybe it's like Doug Stanhope says, they just run out of ****.

I've been asking the same question which he won't answer. He's absurd, I'll grant you, just like this thread, and my attempts to have a reasonable conversation with him are probably futile. But considering the OP posts 90% of the most outlandish stuff on PPP and is also the quickest poster to resort to hyperbolic declarations like calling someone an American hater, I think it's fair to try to determine what, if anything, he actually believes in when he makes these ridiculous posts.

Not only did you call me an America hater (multiple times) in this thread, the topic heading alone points to that conclusion. "Happy Fourth of July to all you patriots ... and to hell with all these !@#$s" -- to which you linked an article which, despite its misleading headline, focuses on Chris Rock's tweet. Every other tweet was in response either in support of, or against, Chris Rock's original tweet. Or, in your mind, people who AREN'T patriots.

So no. Not hyperbole. Just your own statements.

You know damn well I was just busting your balls when I asked you if you hated America (multiple times). Tweets like claiming America is guilty of genocide and "F*** America" are supporting Rock's tweet? Maybe I should reconsider my opinion (that I already gave you) regarding Rock's tweet. Where did I call Rock anti-American?

He was funny in the 90s. It really is a shame watching genuinely funny people lose their touch. His last stand-up was hardly worth sitting through. Maybe it's like Doug Stanhope says, they just run out of ****.

I think that's true for sure.

In my mind it's because the best comedians are product of their times. So when their times end, their comedy ends too. Comedy is all relevant to the social context of the time it's being done. Rock was hilarious in the 90s because he had fresh takes on the times we were living in. A lot of his observational humor were hilarious then because we had never really thought of them in that context before.

But the times we're living in have changed. As has Rock's perspective on these new times. Now he's experiencing our times, not from the eyes of a person trying to make it in the world, but from someone who's already made it and is just trying to keep it.

And that's never as funny as the other way around in my opinion.

You know damn well I was just busting your balls when I asked you if you hated America (multiple times). Tweets like claiming America is guilty of genocide and "F*** America" are supporting Rock's tweet? Maybe I should reconsider my opinion (that I already gave you) regarding Rock's tweet. Where did I call Rock anti-American?

You haven't said it.

Instead, you picked an "article" which implies it, posted a message implying everyone who tweeted in the article was unpatriotic, and lashed out at any poster who questioned the merits of such a belief.

But.

When I asked you specifically to give the board your own opinion on whether or not Rock's statements were un-American, you refused to answer. Rob answered honestly. I answered honestly. Tom answered honestly. But you refused to make a definitive statement either way.

Which means either you don't really believe in the stuff you're pushing or you don't have balls enough to stand up and say what you really want to say.

Either way, it's embarrassing.

I think that's true for sure.

In my mind it's because the best comedians are product of their times. So when their times end, their comedy ends too. Comedy is all relevant to the social context of the time it's being done. Rock was hilarious in the 90s because he had fresh takes on the times we were living in. A lot of his observational humor were hilarious then because we had never really thought of them in that context before.

But the times we're living in have changed. As has Rock's perspective on these new times. Now he's experiencing our times, not from the eyes of a person trying to make it in the world, but from someone who's already made it and is just trying to keep it.

And that's never as funny as the other way around in my opinion.

I think that's true. I also think sometimes these guys are happy to do what they're good at until they make it. Then they want to be taken seriously. Look at Jim Carey or, more tragically, Bill Murray - funny guys who got big and all of a sudden wanted to be serious dramatic actors. A lot of comedians probably get comfortable and want to tell people what they think. 90s Chris Rock talked about the human condition and things that everyone can relate to like men and women and relationships. New Chris Rock talks about political and racial issues. Just the way it is I guess. When I make it I'm going to tell you guys what I really think too.

Edited by Rob's House

I think that's true. I also think sometimes these guys are happy to do what they're good at until they make it. Then they want to be taken seriously. Look at Jim Carey or, more tragically, Bill Murray - funny guys who got big and all of a sudden wanted to be serious dramatic actors. A lot of comedians probably get comfortable and want to tell people what they think. 90s Chris Rock talked about the human condition and things that everyone can relate to like men and women and relationships. New Chris Rock talks about political and racial issues. Just the way it is I guess. When I make it I'm going to tell you guys what I really think too.

There's definitely A LOT of this going on. For sure.

You haven't said it.

Instead, you picked an "article" which implies it, posted a message implying everyone who tweeted in the article was unpatriotic, and lashed out at any poster who questioned the merits of such a belief.

But.

When I asked you specifically to give the board your own opinion on whether or not Rock's statements were un-American, you refused to answer. Rob answered honestly. I answered honestly. Tom answered honestly. But you refused to make a definitive statement either way.

Which means either you don't really believe in the stuff you're pushing or you don't have balls enough to stand up and say what you really want to say.

Either way, it's embarrassing.

I specifically told you I wasn't going to let you take me into your sideshow. I had told you what I felt about his comments, but you then wanted more. All it was about was your attempt to debate this thread on your terms, and play the gotcha game. Aren't you offended at all about the egregious tweets? Or is it that you aren't sure which ones were so offensive? I'll tell you what, I'll give you one more thing. I'll tell you if I think Rock's comments were un-American after you tell me what you thought of the majority of the other tweets. Deal?

I specifically told you I wasn't going to let you take me into your sideshow. I had told you what I felt about his comments, but you then wanted more. All it was about was your attempt to debate this thread on your terms, and play the gotcha game. Aren't you offended at all about the egregious tweets? Or is it that you aren't sure which ones were so offensive? I'll tell you what, I'll give you one more thing. I'll tell you if I think Rock's comments were un-American after you tell me what you thought of the majority of the other tweets. Deal?

You've been owned by so many people in this thread alone that you should change your screen name to "Timeshare."

Is he short or tall? I don't even know. And I really didn't know comedians got graded on a curve based on their height.