The offensive line we always dreamed of

after reading this article about Oline age and experience I went through to see how the Bills line measures up.

My link

assuming glenn pans out at LT (which is a big if)

we have a combined age of 130 (and if Pears the oldest on the line at 30 eventually gets replaced by Hariston or Sanders the line gets 7-8 years younger)

according to the article if the average number of of starts together gets above 50 for any given Oline they are almost always an elite line.

this year they will have an average starts (with the bills) of :22

that means that in only two years with a total age of 140 the bills line (if still together) will have an average of 50 starts and be 10 years younger than the point at which an oline declines because of age.

if you think about the DLine in two years still averaging under 30 yrs old and over 32 games experience shared

and the secondary in two years way under 30 yrs old and way over 32 games experience shared

Buddy has done his job for sure

He has built a team that can plug in draft talent at any position and have a veteran core that can support that raw talent and be competitive (talent wise) for years to come

after reading this article about Oline age and experience I went through to see how the Bills line measures up.

My link

assuming glenn pans out at LT (which is a big if)

we have a combined age of 130 (and if Pears the oldest on the line at 30 eventually gets replaced by Hariston or Sanders the line gets 7-8 years younger)

according to the article if the average number of of starts together gets above 50 for any given Oline they are almost always an elite line.

this year they will have an average starts (with the bills) of :22

that means that in only two years with a total age of 140 the bills line (if still together) will have an average of 50 starts and be 10 years younger than the point at which an oline declines because of age.

if you think about the DLine in two years still averaging under 30 yrs old and over 32 games experience shared

and the secondary in two years way under 30 yrs old and way over 32 games experience shared

Buddy has done his job for sure

He has built a team that can plug in draft talent at any position and have a veteran core that can support that raw talent and be competitive (talent wise) for years to come

This team really has a lot of what it takes to be very good on paper. Unfortunately the game gets played on the field and though its too bad we can celebrate the SB yet, this why the Bills will be very interesting to watch (and most important root for) the next few years.

I was thinking of Buddy Nix's job with this team earlier today when I was reading some article online. When you look at this team - as the initial post has eluded to - there is a lot of good, promising, talent almost all around, AND IT IS YOUNG! You draw up this theoretical job a GM is supposed to do when taking over a team, and the result is very close to what the Bills have - and if Fitzpatrick pans out, he will be on it to a T.

I was thinking, man, if this team begins winning, and going on a run of 3 or 4 years of continued success - playoffs, maybe a SB - you always see teams (except, it seems, the Steelers and Patriots) go through cycles where they are good for a few years, and then bad. Also, with these cycles, most teams hire and fire coaches every four to six years or so. Now, I was thinking, if Buddy has done this in a few years, turning over most of the team, making it young and full of potential - won't his job get easier now? Won't he have less holes to fill year in and out? If Buddy can build this team like this, why couldn't he keep it going?

The answer, I know, is drafting, luck, and the play of the QB. I am psyched, more now than ever, about this team!

Average age is one thing but honestly I don't know if it's been brought up before on this board or not...but really the biggest indicator for elite talent for Olinemen is arm length. Look at Steve Hutchinson, or Kevin Mawae, or Bruce Matthews, or even Jim Brown's oline.. they all had one thing in common=superior reach.

Trust me.

Average age is one thing but honestly I don't know if it's been brought up before on this board or not...but really the biggest indicator for elite talent for Olinemen is arm length.

i've always heard that the biggest indicator of elite talent is foot size.

boioioioinnnngggg

The O-line is actually shaping up nicely if Glenn pans out and Wood can stay healthy. Glenn is that big physical LT, Levitre the solid LG, Wood the big time C, Urbik the mauler at RG, and Pears does a decent job of holding down the RT spot, and Hariston is the heir apparent at RT.

And Hariston gives us a really good backup at both tackle spots, Reinhart a nice backup guard who can play both guard spots, and we drafted Zerbie Sanders who might be able to develop into a decent back up as well.

I cant exactly put my finger on it but whenever I see Glenn move or in small drills I cant get the word bust out of my head. I know Sanders doesn't have the cache that's Glenn does but he looks good. Hope I'm wrong on glenn.

Edited by BillyBaroo

I cant exactly put my finger on it but whenever I see Glenn move or in small drills I cant get the word bust out of my head. I know Sanders doesn't have the cache that's Glenn does but he looks good. Hope I'm wrong on glenn.

I guess you must just know more than Chan and his staff.

I'm not sure what "the cache that's Glen does" means though

There's always the issues of health - a line with Wood is a lot different than a line with Brown at Center - and, whether or not Levitre gets re-signed, although I think the Bills just about have to sign him, after all he's done for them, BUT, if they stay healthy, and if the group remains:

Tackle - Glenn, Hairston, Sanders, Pears, Young

Guard - Levitre, Ubrik, Rhinehart, Jaspers

C - Wood, Asper, Brown

That starter line of Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Ubrik, Hairston - with backup tackle Pears/Sanders and backup G Rhinehart makes for one of the better lines in the NFL over the next half decade - which is what the original post was saying, and I believe it. It's so crazy to finally be seeing all this young, talented depth on this roster, and to have to wonder, instead of who is going to play, who is going to have to sit out because of too much depth!

Tim Graham said in a chat that he talked to the coaches and they're very excited about Glenn. I'll go with that.

Wow ... I think you are the only one who hasn't been totally impressed with Glenn's performance from day one. Nix, Gailey, and every report have him ahead of schedule and perhaps our best pick in the draft even though Gilmore is playing great too.

It has been years since I played OL so I do not claim to be an expert but I always pay attention to line play so in the limited video's I have seen Glenn is the real deal.

Now, perhaps you have been at field level for the rookie camp, the OTA's and the mini-camp and have insight none of us have.

And, as to this OL and its depth ... WOW!!!

I'm still waiting to see if this line can hold their blocks effectively longer then 2-3 seconds for the mid to deep pass plays on a consistent basis. Not just now and again while trying to use smoke and mirrors.

The last two years the Bills have utilized mostly a short quick passing scheme, and Fitz has an uncanny ability to get the ball to the open receiver in 2-3 seconds. Which has helped make the O line look like it is a top ten unit with so few sacks. The reality is the the offense needs to utilize the entire playbook to become completely efficient. Meaning the offense needs to have a deep passing game to keep the defense from crowding the line to stop the short passing game, and run game.

I'm hoping Glenn is the answer at LT, and that Wood can stay healthy this year.

"If Glenn pans out" is the million dollar question. I'm hoping as it is our biggest weakness and I'm surprised we didn't go for the best LT available with our first pick. That said, I'm hearing Glenn is looking good so far, and if he pans out, I think we'll hve a formidable offense.