hbo's "newsroom"

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'know, it's interesting that you libs talk about this show and haven't mentioned "Political Animals" with Sigourney Weaver.

Plot: Wife of a former womanizing president loses the primary to an incompetent dolt who has no clue how to run a lemonade stand let alone the country.

Y'know, it's interesting that you libs talk about this show and haven't mentioned "Political Animals" with Sigourney Weaver.

Plot: Wife of a former womanizing president loses the primary to an incompetent dolt who has no clue how to run a lemonade stand let alone the country.

"And I have a great idea...instead of a straight daughter, let's give them a gay son. Then nobody will accuse us of making a show about the Clintons!"

Actually never heard of that one. I'll just say this for your own good, you may want to put down your insane conservative quest to "win America" once in a while btw and enjoy life. I live in the south and have plenty of friends...long running friends...who are plenty Republican and plenty negative on Obama. Yet a few of them actually like this show. Will McAvoy is turning into a great character, and they like the show b/c of it. You see my redneckish southern republican friends are smart enough to know one thing...most HBO shows are better than the rest so it's worth a shot and often they like them. Foreign concept? Just..living life outside of politics? Not to most Americans surprisingly enough. Contrary to this board...most of my GOP friends don't have to turn off a fictional comedy/drama b/c they say something mean about the Tea Party.

I know this is a "lib show" to you. But in reality...away from PPP...it's actually just a show.

Edited by TheNewBills

Actually never heard of that one. I'll just say this for your own good, you may want to put down your insane conservative quest to "win America" once in a while btw and enjoy life. I live in the south and have plenty of friends...long running friends...who are plenty Republican and plenty negative on Obama. Yet a few of them actually like this show. Will McAvoy is turning into a great character, and they like the show b/c of it. You see my redneckish southern republican friends are smart enough to know one thing...most HBO shows are better than the rest so it's worth a shot and often they like them. Foreign concept? Just..living life outside of politics? Not to most Americans surprisingly enough. Contrary to this board...most of my GOP friends don't have to turn off a fictional comedy/drama b/c they say something mean about the Tea Party.

I know this is a "lib show" to you. But in reality...away from PPP...it's actually just a show.

Ummm, yeah, I appreciate the dumbass nature of this post, but I don't watch shows on HBO because I don't have HBO. But thanks for your stereotypical tripe about how all conservatives are on an insane quest to "win America." Probably your most clever post ever...sort of a Big Cat thought process tucked in a conner original thought and wrapped in some DiN intelligence. Quite the mental trifecta you bring to the table.

.I know this is a "lib show" to you. But in reality...away from PPP...it's actually just a show.

Thanks for the laugh.

Every review that I have read acknowledges its liberal leaning, but what do they know...................its just a show..............lol

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/08/obama_praises_aaron_sorkin_anne_hathaway_weinstein_fundraiser.html

President Obama Praises Syracuse Alum, Aaron Sorkin at Fundraiser

HBO's "The Newsroom" may still be getting mixed reviews from the critics, but one big name is praising the new show's creator and executive producer.

President Barack Obama singled out Syracuse University alumnus Aaron Sorkin among other celebrity supporters at a high-profile fundraiser Monday at film producer Harvey Weinstein's estate.

i definitely dont hate the show by any means on a pure entertainment level. I havent seen the last couple of episodes, but generally I dont even disagree with most of the bashing they have done on the right side (disclaimer: again, i havent seen a few episodes out there). that said, i do not think for one minute that the goal is to create "just a show."

it is a well done political ad at this point (again, from what i have seen). the fact that it is generally enjoyable speaks volumes to the fact that it is VERY well done.

doesnt mean you cant pop up some popcorn and have an enjoyable sunday evening with it - but people should be aware that there are underlying agendas mixed in. frankly, that should be true of a lot more of what we watch. ignoring that aspect of critical thinking is no good.

i definitely dont hate the show by any means on a pure entertainment level. I havent seen the last couple of episodes, but generally I dont even disagree with most of the bashing they have done on the right side (disclaimer: again, i havent seen a few episodes out there). that said, i do not think for one minute that the goal is to create "just a show."

it is a well done political ad at this point (again, from what i have seen). the fact that it is generally enjoyable speaks volumes to the fact that it is VERY well done.

doesnt mean you cant pop up some popcorn and have an enjoyable sunday evening with it - but people should be aware that there are underlying agendas mixed in. frankly, that should be true of a lot more of what we watch. ignoring that aspect of critical thinking is no good.

Agreed. Anyone who says The Newsroom isn't (heavily) biased towards one direction either isn't watching the show or needs a refresher on subtext. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed without thinking about the agenda ... it certainly can but that's up to the viewer. EVERY show and movie has subtext if they're worth a damn. Sometimes its intentional political bent like in The Newsroom, other times it's an unintentional biproduct of the times the creators lived in (see The Wire). Art is about social commentary -- always and forever. Why else put yourself through the torture necessary to create it?

Edit: Why is there a huge video instead of a link in my sig line? Sorry... will have to erase that.

Edited by tgreg99

EVERY show and movie has subtext if they're worth a damn.

Of course. And I'm not saying it doesn't lean left. But it is just a show. It's fiction and a few of the episodes have been hilarious. Some of the characters are getting good and not every episode is just bashing the right believe it or not.

A lot of people on this board like the Simpsons. Simpsons clearly leans left...is the Simpsons a commercial for Obama?

Of course. And I'm not saying it doesn't lean left. But it is just a show. It's fiction and a few of the episodes have been hilarious. Some of the characters are getting good and not every episode is just bashing the right believe it or not.

A lot of people on this board like the Simpsons. Simpsons clearly leans left...is the Simpsons a commercial for Obama?

I'm a fan of the show. I've watched every episode and think Sorkin is quite frankly one of the best American playwrights of our day. The show is brilliantly acted by a fantastic ensemble cast despite suffering from some less than enganging love triangles (Sorkin owes Ricky Gervais a check for ripping off the Tim and Dawn romance). And it's true that not every episode bashes the right.

But when you close an episode with the President, who's currently campaigning for his life, delivering a speech about his greatest foreign policy accomplishment over the closing credits -- it's more than just "leaning" left. It's a full on ad for Obama.

Edited by tgreg99

I'm a fan of the show. I've watched every episode and think Sorkin is quite frankly one of the best American playwrights of our day. The show is brilliantly acted by a fantastic ensemble cast despite suffering from some less than enganging love triangles (Sorkin owes Ricky Gervais a check for ripping off the Tim and Dawn romance). And it's true that not every episode bashes the right.

But when you close an episode with the President, who's currently campaigning for his life, delivering a speech about his greatest foreign policy accomplishment over the closing credits -- it's more than just "leaning" left. It's a full on ad for Obama.

Look Will McAvoy is a Republican. Case closed. :)

no, but i think you can see how the simpsons delivery of quirky made up outlandish stories delivered by cartoon people with occasional political overtones - while still something to be aware of - is different than a show presenting real life, real current american political events through the mouth of a newscaster preaching facts and fairness can be different beasts.

in fact, im pretty sure you get that 100% and are just giving a bit of a hard time here, but ill still bite.

I don't give my money to people who handwave away my arguments with blatant strawmen, hyperbole, and outright lies.

Next question.

Really? I give my money to Chik-Fil-A b/c their chicken is the best in fast food. I then give it to HBO b/c they have the best original programming.

Edited by TheNewBills

Really? I give my money to Chik-Fil-A b/c their chicken is the best in fast food. I then give it to HBO b/c they have the best original programming.

Which is fine, because it's your money, and you should be able to spend it wherever you see fit without interference. That's a large part of what economic freedom is all about.