Bills RB C.J. Spiller says team is close to being Super Bowl contender

WotAGuy

When Jauron said "It's hard to win in the NFL" everyone around here including me ground him into a powder for that weak minded approach, and now that a player shows the slighted hint of confidence in his team's chances this year, and people around here still aren't happy...

Holy Frickin hell how miserable can you be about this team? They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. I think it's time for people to dial the criticism back just a tad... MmmKay?

QFT

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Bills are getting a little over hyped, but there is nothing wrong with what CJ said. He didn't "guarantee" a SB, he didn't even say they will make it to the super bowl, he didn't even say they were super bowl contenders... He said he thought the team is close to being a contender. I bet most of the sports world would probably say the same thing about the Bills.

Basically this was nothing, turned into something by the media on a slow day.

They are probably waiting for something to comment on.

A player during the off season saying his team is a contender is hardly noteworthy.You are taking it as some kind of vindication from the sound of your comment :)

Talk is cheap ... but unfortunately that's all there is for another couple of months.

Sounds like he handled himself well though, particularly by not taking the bait on number of touches etc.

Really? Tell that to Donte Whitner when he guaranteed the Bills would make the playoffs the one year.......

Really? Tell that to Donte Whitner when he guaranteed the Bills would make the playoffs the one year.......

Guaranteeing success is FAR different than saying your team is "close to being a contender". Harmless statement that pretty much everyone in the sports media is also making...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

A dose of reality-

When Vince Young uttered the words "dream team", that is all it took to start an avalanche of coverage on the Eagles and with every loss it became more magnified.

Anything C.J. Spiller says won't be seen in that light because Buffalo is a small market team, but if he had said that in a major city, he would have caused a stir.

Rhetoric is for teams that have never won anything, and frankly we don't need it right now- we need PRODUCTION.

The Avalanche of coverage didn't start because VY called them the "Dream Team", it Started when they started stockpiling FA's in the offseason and fans thought they would be unstoppable. The only reason the media paid attention to VYs "Dream Team" comment and used it over and over is because they wanted something to throw back at the team to laugh at if/when they fail.

Players on every team will make predicitons about there teams and say they think they can contend this year, Its not like CJ is the first person to ever say something like this.

Here's another take to support Spiller's statement.

As far as being close to a contender, how many teams in the NFL are close to contenders? This is a league with a lot of parody as far as teams that have a shot to compete in the playoffs. Three of the last 7 Superbowl winners have been wildcards (2010 Packers, 2007 Giants, 2005 Steelers). With a team's win total coming down to a handful of key plays each year (dropped TD pass, muffed punt, missed FG, etc), the difference between an 11-5 team and an 8-8 team is as much about consistency and luck as it is about talent.

The Bills of last year were 6-10. Add some consistency (what Spiller said was needed) and luck to make the key plays that turn the tides, plus more talent and depth to escalate their every-down play, and they can contend for a wildcard spot.

Here's another take to support Spiller's statement.

As far as being close to a contender, how many teams in the NFL are close to contenders? This is a league with a lot of parody as far as teams that have a shot to compete in the playoffs. Three of the last 7 Superbowl winners have been wildcards (2010 Packers, 2007 Giants, 2005 Steelers). With a team's win total coming down to a handful of key plays each year (dropped TD pass, muffed punt, missed FG, etc), the difference between an 11-5 team and an 8-8 team is as much about consistency and luck as it is about talent.

The Bills of last year were 6-10. Add some consistency (what Spiller said was needed) and luck to make the key plays that turn the tides, plus more talent and depth to escalate their every-down play, and they can contend for a wildcard spot.

It's a laugh a minute.

How many athletes tell the media, "I think we might suck this year," or, "I think we'll be okay, but not great." None. He showed some guarded optimism and he said it professionally and without arrogance. It's not like he said the 2012 team is going to be a Dream Team. No Buffalo Bill would EVER say anything that stupid.

This is a league with a lot of parody as far as teams that have a shot to compete in the playoffs.

I'll just be happy if the Bills are no longer farcical.

He does make a good point, when healthy we beat the pats and almost had the giants. I think we should make the playoffs barring a massive implosion. Aren't all teams in the playoffs superbowl contenders by default?

Guaranteeing success is FAR different than saying your team is "close to being a contender". Harmless statement that pretty much everyone in the sports media is also making...

Im eating LUNCH HERE.... it's hard to read your (well made) point and keep down my lunch with that avatar.... :ph34r:

Edited by McKinleys Curse

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Its to bad 75% of the bills fans are always negative about everything. I BILLEVE 2 WE CAN DO IT! SUPERBOWL. I am so excited this year that im driving to my first buffalo game vs miami NOV 15th from IOWA

75%??!! I guess that's why we sell out almost every game after 10+ years of being terrible...

VY is now a Bill, no?

That seems to be the intended joke....

However, he wasn't a Bill then, he probably wouldn't have said it about any of the Bills teams for the last 10 years, and he won't say it about this year's team.

To get uptight about what Spiller said is ridiculous. The reactions to this really say more about the fans on this board than anything about the team or Spiller. Some very uptight people...

Edited by Matthews' Bag