Median American Family Net Worth Decline

http://cnnmoney.mobi/wk_snarticle?articleId=urn:newsml:CNNMoney.com:20120611:fed-family-net-worth:1&category=cnnm_business

Key Points:

37% decline in median net worth of American family from 2007-2010. From 126,400 to 77,300.

Top 10% net worth grew from 1.17 million to 1.19 million 2007-2010.

Middle class families in the 40-60 percentile, median net income decreased from 92,300 to 65,900 - a 29% decline.

Conclusion middle class has higher concentration of wealth in home equity and recession has impacted employment and wages of middle class.

Key Analysis:

High unemployment = lower average household income.

Rampant mortgage foreclosures = net loss of home equity for most neighborhoods.

With the way the markets are, it's no wonder the top 10%'s net worth increased by only $20,000 over three years.

Obamanomics – spreading the misery around one class of people at a time.

it's amazing how different people can look at the same data and come to very different conclusions. table 4 shouts out to me. the difference between mean and median, especially among the top 10% deserves comment. it doesn't require a statistics degree to guess the explanation. the mean and median net worth chasm between white and nonwhite americans also deserves mention although i note that the cnn article doesn't.

it's amazing how different people can look at the same data and come to very different conclusions. table 4 shouts out to me. the difference between mean and median, especially among the top 10% deserves comment. it doesn't require a statistics degree to guess the explanation. the mean and median net worth chasm between white and nonwhite americans also deserves mention although i note that the cnn article doesn't.

What about the disparity in growth/loss by race?

White Median -13.1% vs Non White Median -7.2%

White Mean +9.2% vs Non White Median +22%

Or did you not bother to look beyond the surface numbers?

It doesn't take a statistics degree to talk intelligently about these numbers.

But it does take a hell of a lot more than the level of stupidity that you seem to possess.

So if the economy had drastic reductions in regulation during the past decade, and taxes were and are at an all time low, then why would we lower taxes even more and have even less regulation??? :unsure:

in fact, before the recession, middle class income has gone down over the past 30 years?

does this mean supply side is really voodoo economics like bush said?

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER

Conclusion middle class has higher concentration of wealth in home equity and recession has impacted employment and wages of middle class.

No ****. In other news, the sun rose in the east today.

Now let's fix that by re-electing a President whose done nothing but create obstacles for job creating businesses (or at least those who don't have big money DNC donors on the Board).

There is a stark difference between median and mean for all income levels, not just the top 10%. What that says to me is the investing class didn't panic when the markets tanked, and instead profited from the rebound.

Maybe the difference between median and mean in that table would be smaller if we valued teaching financial literacy in our public schools more than multicultural sensitivity.

Does it deserve comment or an explanation of the data to you?

this only makes you look weak in a debate... :wallbash: :wallbash:

I refuse to debate you. All you do is fill up this board with crap, lies, backtracking and nonsense. I would hope that everyone would ignore you so that you will eventually go away. The mods must be feeling very benevolent.

What about the disparity in growth/loss by race?

White Median -13.1% vs Non White Median -7.2%

White Mean +9.2% vs Non White Median +22%

Or did you not bother to look beyond the surface numbers?

did you not look at the absolute white vs nonwhite median and mean numbers? the mean and median net worth numbers for nonwhites are abysmal. so they lost less in median and gained a bit in mean...there still abysmal. yes, the poor lost less and in some cases gained some but when you start with almost nothing, that's not very meaningful. the numbers in that table show the extreme top heaviness of wealth distribution in the us - even among the top 10%. to see this even more clearly, the top 10% should be further subdivided. much of that groups wealth lies in the hands of the top 1 or 2%. there's plenty of other data available that illustrates this....this is just another example.

did you not look at the absolute white vs nonwhite median and mean numbers? the mean and median net worth numbers for nonwhites are abysmal. so they lost less in median and gained a bit in mean...there still abysmal. yes, the poor lost less and in some cases gained some but when you start with almost nothing, that's not very meaningful. the numbers in that table show the extreme top heaviness of wealth distribution in the us - even among the top 10%. to see this even more clearly, the top 10% should be further subdivided. much of that groups wealth lies in the hands of the top 1 or 2%. there's plenty of other data available that illustrates this....this is just another example.

Out of all the "conclusions" that people offered, yours was the most partisan

No ****. In other news, the sun rose in the east today.

Now let's fix that by re-electing a President whose done nothing but create obstacles for job creating businesses (or at least those who don't have big money DNC donors on the Board).

There is a stark difference between median and mean for all income levels, not just the top 10%. What that says to me is the investing class didn't panic when the markets tanked, and instead profited from the rebound.

Maybe the difference between median and mean in that table would be smaller if we valued teaching financial literacy in our public schools more than multicultural sensitivity.

there is almost a $2 mil difference between median and mean in the top 10%. some of this can be explained by investment success but i'll bet more of it is due to the enormous wealth of the top decile within the top decile. a few thousand billionaires skew the mean markedly up.

there is almost a $2 mil difference between median and mean in the top 10%. some of this can be explained by investment success but i'll bet more of it is due to the enormous wealth of the top decile within the top decile. a few thousand billionaires skew the mean markedly up.

And the sun rises in the east. :rolleyes:

That always happens at the tail end of a normal distribution. It's part of the reason certain idiots who used to participate on this board think "error" causes regression to the mean.

And the sun rises in the east. :rolleyes:

That always happens at the tail end of a normal distribution. It's part of the reason certain idiots who used to participate on this board think "error" causes regression to the mean.

I wanted to be the first to say it because it is inevitable.