Concerns about Defense

This article that was up on Buffalo Bills.com today, it was saying that the DT's are losing weight. I dnt mind this as they want to be more explosive off the ball thats fine. But i was concerned about is where it stated about Wanny wanting the Defensive line flying to the QB. That is exactly what the Eagles did last year, and they got carved up by the run. Questions over thier LB's, also questions over our LB's. If we start focussing on QB only i will be a little concerned. I would rather Dareus by heavier and allow him to play the run just like last year.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Less-is-more-for-Bills-DTs/3d1439cc-8a59-4ee8-81ce-5e9f0a60a932

On another note the Defense started inserting some Blitz schemes with some would be sacks.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/OTA-Report---Day-4/d1360b50-3894-4d98-8860-553841dd952e

The Eagles insisted on playing the Wide 9 formation which spreads their D-line with the DE's out wide. They did this in an attempt to get more pressure on the QB but also created huge running lanes especially on draws and screens. The Eagles also didn't have tackles anywhere near as good as Williams or Dareus so it was a completely different situation

Wanny prefers using quicker penetrating lineman in a rotation instead of huge run stuffers like Big Ted

I am a little concerned with the LB's but Wanny was always able to get production out of guys at LB that were not considered tops in the league

My main concerns on this team are still on offense especially at WR and the guy calling the plays being obsessed with the pass with an average at best QB and a below average receiving corp when the offense should really revolve around the RB's

Edited by Max997

This article that was up on Buffalo Bills.com today, it was saying that the DT's are losing weight. I dnt mind this as they want to be more explosive off the ball thats fine. But i was concerned about is where it stated about Wanny wanting the Defensive line flying to the QB. That is exactly what the Eagles did last year, and they got carved up by the run. Questions over thier LB's, also questions over our LB's. If we start focussing on QB only i will be a little concerned. I would rather Dareus by heavier and allow him to play the run just like last year.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Less-is-more-for-Bills-DTs/3d1439cc-8a59-4ee8-81ce-5e9f0a60a932

On another note the Defense started inserting some Blitz schemes with some would be sacks.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/OTA-Report---Day-4/d1360b50-3894-4d98-8860-553841dd952e

Totally different line philosophy.

Guys....we dont play a 3-4 anymore

- "Run Pluggers" need not apply.....if your pass rush is coming from your down linemen then they need to be quick, strong, and athletic. Marcel Darius SHOULD be playing at 310 pounds in this system and Kyle Williams that is his natural weight

- Then you have Mario Williams will probably be playing between 270-275 pounds

- The small guy is Anderson.....on run downs its Merriman or Kelsay....all playing in the 260-270 range

- Behind them your linebackers are in the 240-250 range because they need to be athletic and cover

BUT

- Our corners are big run support guys (Gilmore, Williams)

We are not going to have a hard time stopping the run provided that the team plays disciplined football......and when teams fear your pass rush....you make offenses much more predictable.

Eagles vs. Bills D = Apples & Oranges, two very different defenses. As mentioned above, the birds ran that wide 9 thing, and got carved up on the ground. Furthermore, not sure they got to the QB any better. Losing a few pounds should make them a bit strong (presuming the weight control is from the weight room as well as diet, and thus, a but stronger) => I heard they're using P90X :D

In addition to what everyone else has said, the Iggles took an offensive line coach, Juan Castillo, and made him their defensive coordinator, a move largely received with a resounding "WTF?"

We have yet to play a down with him as DC, but I think everyone can agree Wanny beats Juanny every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

In addition to what everyone else has said, the Iggles took an offensive line coach, Juan Castillo, and made him their defensive coordinator, a move largely received with a resounding "WTF?"

We have yet to play a down with him as DC, but I think everyone can agree Wanny beats Juanny every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Exactly. Nobody should be worried about emulating the Eagles D. Wanny is a relatively highly thought of defensive coach while Philly is employing an offensive line coach in that spot. There's no comparison.

Nothing they do this year could be worse than how they played last year, so i have absolutely zero concern for this upcoming season on defense. Add to the fact that some of the guys are talking about dropping 5 - 15 lbs of weight is hardly going to transform them into Phil Hansen and Jeff Wright.

Eagles vs. Bills D = Apples & Oranges, two very different defenses. As mentioned above, the birds ran that wide 9 thing, and got carved up on the ground. Furthermore, not sure they got to the QB any better. Losing a few pounds should make them a bit strong (presuming the weight control is from the weight room as well as diet, and thus, a but stronger) => I heard they're using P90X :D

Whew I thought they would use shake weights

Nothing they do this year could be worse than how they played last year, so i have absolutely zero concern for this upcoming season on defense.

No kidding. There is only one direction this defense could go.

I think this is totally a nitpick.....

Even if the run defense does not improve significantly (I think it will) if just the PASS RUSH improved this defensive ranking would jump about 15 spots.....

People have to understand.....teams grinded it out against us because they knew at any time they could take to the air and get a first down when they needed it.....

The defense needs to dictate to offenses what it is going to do