Refs should get two replays per game

With the possibility of a strike by the officials bringing in lesser experienced refs I think the replacement refs should get two replays per game. They could put this option to good use for plays when they are all asking each other what happened because they didn't fully see what happened. It would be similar to a coaches challenge. Thoughts?

Interesting idea. However the typical NFL game is so God awful long and slow already I dread the idea of making it even slower.

Would make for another good commercial break though so the NFL and the networks probably wouldn't mind it.

Horrible idea. The quickest way to make refs even worse is to let them second guess themselves. And how are the refs supposed to weigh the importance of the play vs. the time remaining in the game (the coach's dilemma on using challenges)?

Another and highly radical idea is to have no challenges at all and accept calls as they are made.

In addition to this, change the rules to make them not so rigid so fewer penalties would/should be called.

For example, if a offensive lineman twitches as he farts, is it really necessary to call a false start?

Just refining the ultra-rigid rule structure itself could have a very positive impact for the teams as well as the fans.

Another and highly radical idea is to have no challenges at all and accept calls as they are made.

Woah...what kind of crazy talk is that?!?

Replay has sucked monkey balls since day 1. There are just as many bad calls and just as much (or more) bitching about refs now as there was before there was any replay.

Take it out of the coach’s hands altogether. Have a member of the officiating crew up in the box and any call that he deems questionable gets reviewed. When he buzzes the ref for the review, it also buzzes a video crew who start working up the best camera angles, still shots or whatever is needed to make the correct call. By the time the ref gets to the hood, those images are ready to be viewed. It may even be as simple as the guy upstairs just saying, look at this freeze frame, he’s in bounds, overturn the call. While this is going on, the guy upstairs also tells the ref, the ball goes here and this much time is left. Ever notice that seems to take a long time to figure out where the ball goes after a call is over turned? I think it would streamline that process and not slow down the game quite as much.

I don’t want the game slowed down to review tons of calls either but there is too much riding on every game to not use the technology available and get it right.

Take it out of the coach’s hands altogether. Have a member of the officiating crew up in the box and any call that he deems questionable gets reviewed. When he buzzes the ref for the review, it also buzzes a video crew who start working up the best camera angles, still shots or whatever is needed to make the correct call. By the time the ref gets to the hood, those images are ready to be viewed. It may even be as simple as the guy upstairs just saying, look at this freeze frame, he’s in bounds, overturn the call. While this is going on, the guy upstairs also tells the ref, the ball goes here and this much time is left. Ever notice that seems to take a long time to figure out where the ball goes after a call is over turned? I think it would streamline that process and not slow down the game quite as much.

I don’t want the game slowed down to review tons of calls either but there is too much riding on every game to not use the technology available and get it right.

Thats why hockey does it in the booth, rather than having the ref run to the sidelines, jam his head under some chicks skirt to watch re-runs of the Honeymooners. The current model has a lot room for process improvements.

Interesting idea. However the typical NFL game is so God awful long and slow already I dread the idea of making it even slower.

Would make for another good commercial break though so the NFL and the networks probably wouldn't mind it.

Agreed. I can't stand Instant Replay in the form it's in right now. It slow's down the game waaay too much. I feel like all I'm watching is the same 10 commercials over and over again. It's gotten to be a godawful experience for the fans. They need to something to speed this game up. It's gotten to the point of being unwatchable...

Agreed. I can't stand Instant Replay in the form it's in right now. It slow's down the game waaay too much. I feel like all I'm watching is the same 10 commercials over and over again. It's gotten to be a godawful experience for the fans. They need to something to speed this game up. It's gotten to the point of being unwatchable...

the record rating disagree with the last bit, though i agree there is room for improving the process...

It takes three hours plus to play 12 minutes of football as it is. Pay the umps better and make them full time. PLEASE

Full time? What are they doing the other 340 days of the year?

Paying refs more doesn't help the idiotic replay culture that has been created. You want better refs? Dump replay altogether. I don't understand the "get it right" obsession when replay has consistently shown that it doesn't do that any better than live refs.

I never watch a game real time anymore. I record it and will watch it later or after I get a 1.5 hours buffer I will start watching so I can fast forward thru commercials.