Vince Young interview…

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that hard to believe.

I remember you being a pretty cordial poster. Whoever got the bite with the bark probably deserved it. Either way, glad you're back.

thanks for saying

Cam Newton vowed to never stop using his legs when he came to the NFL because Cam knows its part of what makes him unique, harder to defend, the new age power Forward /QB Gruden likes to call them. Vince Young has close to the same size and skill set as Cam.

Jeff Fisher tried to make VY something he's not which is your typical pocket passer, taking away half of what makes Young a great QB.

Chan Gailey will give back to Vince something Jeff Fisher tried to take away...

Edited by Fig Newton

thanks for saying

Cam Newton vowed to never stop using his legs when he came to the NFL because Cam knows its part of what makes him unique, harder to defend, the new age power Forward /QB Gruden likes to call them. Vince Young has close to the same size and skill set as Cam.

Jeff Fisher tried to make VY something he's not which is your typical pocket passer, taking away half of what makes Young a great QB.

Chan Gailey will give back to Vince something Jeff Fisher tried to take away...

VY is 29 years old...he's not scrambling around for 50+ yard TD's like he was when he was in college. Vince NEEDS to learn how to be a pocket passer first, and then use his remaining athletic talents to get him yards when he is in a pinch. He is not Cam Newton, and will not be a successful NFL QB when he's running for his life.

I know my words will be a little off topic but I wanted to say the following:

Excellent thread San Jose.

As you can tell from my stats I am a rookie hardly worthy of even having an opinion. But please don’t let my lack of computer BB community fellowship influence you. I may not have much experience riding the wave of conversing over topics where you must first read what someone has said and then form cohesive non transparent thoughts and formulating them into intelligent words that don’t seem scripted. All while never having the luxury of seeing any body language to get a comfortable feeling of what they are trying to say. I want to be taken seriously but I haven’t earned the right to expect others to value or respect my opinion because I am still a nobody.

I can’t imagine what great pearls of wisdom must have been witnessed by others when you have posted 11,000 + times. I know that sounds terribly sarcastic but it is not meant to be.

I have been a Bills fan for some 33 years now. My fandom was never swayed by whether or not the team won or lost. Sure, I would rather they win but I will always be a fan regardless. I have buffalos running in my veins.

I know this is rather winded but my post was meant to say to San Jose that I really very much appreciate your thread. I am a deeper thinker as well. I enjoy the posts that try to understand the deeper meaning of what ever topic is associated with the Bills. Please do more of these such posts.

I will never approach the amount of comments that you have posted. I could not live long enough to come even close.

I know I shouldn’t, but I care deeply for this team. I care about them as individuals. I care that Ralph Wilson is over 90 years old and has yet to win a NFL championship. I know he did pre merge but not as things are now. For all that Mr. Wilson has done for football he deserves a championship before he moves on. I care about Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chris Kelsay, Fred Jackson, Vince Young, Brian Moorman, and EVERY other player on this team. I care about Chan Gaily, Buddy Nix, the trainers, the front office and EVERY other person associated with the Bills organization. I care about Joe Fan. We endured an awful lot over these past 12 years. I think we have paid our dues for going to the Super Bowl four straight times. During those Super Bowl runs we were blessed greatly as fans. I remember the ecstasy of making it too four straight Big Shows. I remember the embarrassment of the four straight losses. I remember my gut being ripped out of my body when the ref failed to see what was so obvious. Even my wife could see it see a forward pass. The longer one waits for redemption the better the sweetness of its satisfying taste when it is finally realized.

IT’S OUR TIME…. IT’S THE BILLS TIME.

Make it so.

Edited by Bills......Till I Die

I know my words will be a little off topic but I wanted to say the following:

Excellent thread San Jose.

As you can tell from my stats I am a rookie hardly worthy of even having an opinion. But please don’t let my lack of computer BB community fellowship influence you. I may not have much experience riding the wave of conversing over topics where you must first read what someone has said and then form cohesive non transparent thoughts and formulating them into intelligent words that don’t seem scripted. All while never having the luxury of seeing any body language to get a comfortable feeling of what they are trying to say. I want to be taken seriously but I haven’t earned the right to expect others to value or respect my opinion because I am still a nobody.

I can’t imagine what great pearls of wisdom must have been witnessed by others when you have posted 11,000 + times. I know that sounds terribly sarcastic but it is not meant to be.

I have been a Bills fan for some 33 years now. My fandom was never swayed by whether or not the team won or lost. Sure, I would rather they win but I will always be a fan regardless. I have buffalos running in my veins.

I know this is rather winded but my post was meant to say to San Jose that I really very much appreciate your thread. I am a deeper thinker as well. I enjoy the posts that try to understand the deeper meaning of what ever topic is associated with the Bills. Please do more of these such posts.

I will never approach the amount of comments that you have posted. I could not live long enough to come even close.

I know I shouldn’t, but I care deeply for this team. I care about them as individuals. I care that Ralph Wilson is over 90 years old and has yet to win a NFL championship. I know he did pre merge but not as things are now. For all that Mr. Wilson has done for football he deserves a championship before he moves on. I care about Ryan Fitzpatrick, Chris Kelsay, Fred Jackson, Vince Young, Brian Moorman, and EVERY other player on this team. I care about Chan Gaily, Buddy Nix, the trainers, the front office and EVERY other person associated with the Bills organization. I care about Joe Fan. We endured an awful lot over these past 12 years. I think we have paid our dues for going to the Super Bowl four straight times. During those Super Bowl runs we were blessed greatly as fans. I remember the ecstasy of making it too four straight Big Shows. I remember the embarrassment of the four straight losses. I remember my gut being ripped out of my body when the ref failed to see what was so obvious. Even my wife could see it see a forward pass. The longer one waits for redemption the better the sweetness of its satisfying taste when it is finally realized.

IT’S OUR TIME…. IT’S THE BILLS TIME.

Make it so.

Wow, nice post!

And ya, SJBF is kinda cool, intee!

VY is 29 years old...he's not scrambling around for 50+ yard TD's like he was when he was in college. Vince NEEDS to learn how to be a pocket passer first, and then use his remaining athletic talents to get him yards when he is in a pinch. He is not Cam Newton, and will not be a successful NFL QB when he's running for his life.

Never said VY doesn't need to use his arm 1st and foremost, but the danger of running with the football helps open up plays/football field for other players.

How old is FJ? What folks need to understand is its the type of play that Vince feels comfortable with, flourishes in, VY needs/wants to use his legs.

If you think Gailey is going to try to turn Young into your typical pocket passer and make the same mistake Jeff Fisher did, you are sadly mistaken in my opinion.

Gailey will allow VY to do what he does best because thats what coach Gailey does with his players...

Edited by Fig Newton

Never said VY doesn't need to use his arm 1st and foremost,

If he still has trouble reading a defense and/or throwing the ball at this stage in his career ...

but the danger of running with the football helps open up plays/football field for other players.

... this becomes moot. Defenses will stack the line, take away the run and dump offs, and force the offense and VY into throwing in attempt to beat them.

If he still has trouble reading a defense and/or throwing the ball at this stage in his career ...

... this becomes moot. Defenses will stack the line, take away the run and dump offs, and force the offense and VY into throwing in attempt to beat them.

You make my point for me, defenses adjust/gear towards the run and it opens up the passing game and makes it easier for VY to throw the football. Gailey will do with Vince some of the same thing the Bronco's did with Tebow last season in an offense/philosophy more like what VY flourished under while playing at UT/ College.(In my humble,OK, perhaps not so humble opinion,hehe)

Buffalo has what very few teams can match in the NFL which is the highly inovative mind of Bills HC Chan Gailey...

Most people grow up at some point in their lives. VY is a 29 year old man who has gone through a lot -- much of it his own doing -- and perhaps the light has finally come on. Hopefully he understands he may be running out of one year "tryouts" and wants to truly see if he can keep his career going for another 5-6 years.

I just got done watching the Vince Young interview from the Bills website.

All of us like to think that we can judge character and I'm no different.

When I watch/listen to someone speak, I try to judge many things simultaneously…

Is he sincere or does he seem phony?

Are his comments thoughtful and spontaneous or are they scripted?

Does he have good perspective or not?

Does he have efficiency in speech with good content to word ratio? Can he formulate and articulate thoughts well?

Is there a hint of self-centeredness or narcissism or is the person humble/humbled?

Anyways, here's the link and I'd be very curious to know what you guys think of Young's interview.

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Vince-Young-Thursday-Press-Conference/ce0bb01e-cccc-492b-8e59-28677c748ba7

Wisdom and humility come with age, and evaluated, hard knocks, and "learned from" experience. I like what I heard.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! Good post :thumbdown:

How about these young corners looking good in OTA's. Ron Brooks? Justin Rodgers?

How about Mark "freaking" Anderson? Does he look like an absolute physical freak or what?

Reportedly Easley has been working hard in the weight room, is in good shape, and has also impressed in workouts.

Merriman is back in action, and Kyle Williams looks like he has made A LOT of progress.

I know it's just a bunch of guys running around in shorts, bit these are the kinds of things I'm interested in right now.

All good signs!

But I think the big question(s) for the Bills success this season is: How well do Merriman, Williams, Easley, Jones, Wood, McGee, Urbik, and Fred X (am I missing anyone?) come back from their injuries. If all, or most of these guys recover and return to 100% = it could be a special season. If not, it could be very disappointing after all the build-up.

I've watched interviews with Vince since he was a kid. The main difference, other than his improved speaking ability, is that he understands finally how dependent he is on his coaches. VY has always been the type of player who could take the offense out of an OC's hands. NFL coaches don't like that, they're not impressed with it, and the NFL is too tough for any player to win consistently on physical ability alone. VY's never been the fruitloop that he's been made out to be, but he's obviously matured and brightened up from where he was three years ago. He also must feel like he's sitting in the catbird's seat. He's backing up a guy who has never won anything significant, who has a worse record and is slightly older, but with fewer tattoos. Vince has won a lot. He's played under the brightest lights, under loads of pressure and expectations. His tattoos are boss. My impression of that interview is that he's very loose, in a good way.

Excellent thread…

Wow, nice post!

Thank you both very much. I'm sincerely flattered. I love posting here and I'm glad some good comes of it from time to time.

Wisdom and humility come with age, and evaluated, hard knocks, and "learned from" experience. I like what I heard.

That was my takeaway from the interview too. He seemed emotionally sober and quite authentic to me. Like I said I could be wrong but VY made a strong positive impression on me in that interview.

I've watched interviews with Vince since he was a kid… My impression of that interview is that he's very loose, in a good way.

I know from your earlier posts that you're quite familiar with Vince's entire career so I give particularly weight to your take on this subject.

I just got done watching the Vince Young interview from the Bills website.

Anyways, here's the link and I'd be very curious to know what you guys think of Young's interview.

http://www.buffalobi...59-28677c748ba7

I think it's interesting to compare and contrast with Fitz' interview. Watch them in sequence. Flannel shirts at Walmart, Fitz? Walmart? But seriously, it's very clear Fitz is very confident in his mental game, very comfortable in his mastery of the system, very happy to be working with Lee on mechanics. He comments that so far, they're working on very simple stuff and it'll get more interesting later on (with the undertone "BRING IT!". He seemed like he's trying to put VY at ease, talking about how he (Fitz) has fewer tattoos but they really have similar personalities.

I thought VY seemed sincere and honest -a bit tense and uncomfortable, no more than is natural extent for being new to a situation and team. He seemed determined to work hard and make a success, "stay in the book". He didn't express awareness that they're working on "very simple stuff" so far. He had a couple little signs of being "high maintenance" - something about getting Coach Lee out of meetings to ask him questions. I don't know how typical that is for football or for QB.

He was clearly most sincere and animated when he was talking about his family and looking for a house. Having a family and taking care of his family is clearly of great importance to him. I Googled and it looked as though he only married recently, which can make a big difference to the maturity of a guy's outlook. The right spouse can really help keep stuff in perspective, keep it real.

Edited by Hopeful

Interesting, Hopeful.

I didn't know he had recently married.

I contrasted VY's interview with Merriman's… two former stars who have fallen from grace and are trying to rebuild their careers.

In spite of both being big stars at one time and being in similar career lulls, they come off as very different people.

Merriman seems like he's the same guy he's always been.

Vince Young strikes me as a changed man.

He also must feel like he's sitting in the catbird's seat. He's backing up a guy who has never won anything significant, who has a worse record and is slightly older, but with fewer tattoos. Vince has won a lot.

Ah, doesn't the "win a lot/never won anything significant" thing have a lot to do with the team around him?

I guess I don't follow why this is "the catbird seat", assuming he out-competes Thiggy for #2 (which I ack if he learns the system and listens, he should)

Interesting, Hopeful.

I didn't know he had recently married.

Well not sure on the date but the post was May 7th 2012

I contrasted VY's interview with Merriman's… two former stars who have fallen from grace and are trying to rebuild their careers.

In spite of both being big stars at one time and being in similar career lulls, they come off as very different people.

Merriman seems like he's the same guy he's always been.

Is this a bad thing? :devil:

Big diff. between the two circumstances. AFAIK, Merriman's career fell apart for no particular fault of his own, repeated injuries that he's tried his best to rehab. Maybe he should have had surgery earlier, but that's always a judgement call. So why should he change who he is? We hope he hasn't changed, except for coming back from the injury.

Young, on the other hand, helped his career implode by his own actions. So we hope he's changed.

Go watch Fitz's interview then VY then Fitz again.

Edited by Hopeful

"The catbird seat" was a poor choice of words by me. I think he's in a comfortable position relative to other times in his NFL career. And actually it's because he's being given the benefit of the doubt by the Bills organization and a good portion of the Bills nation. Backing up Fitz isn't quite the same as backing up Vick in Philly with their current expectations. He has all summer to study and acclimate, just more breathing room.