Eric Wood among league's best...

I'm not sure how many of you have been following the NFL.com "Podium Awards" series written by former NFL Scout Daniel Jeremiah, but I found this one particularly interesting.

Apparently, part of putting together his awards list included polling coaches from around the league to get a feel for who were the best of the best. To my relative surprise, when evaluating offensive linemen, he writes:

There was a long list of candidates for this last spot on the podium. The offensive and defensive line coaches that I spoke with were very high on Ravens guard Marshal Yanda. Another name that kept popping up was a bit of a sleeper on the national scene: Bills center Eric Wood.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82965009/article/nfl-podium-awards-jahri-evans-headlines-offensive-linemen

Not that it means a lot, but I found it interesting and mildly surprising that Wood is so highly thought of around the league. I mean, many of us feel he's capable of becoming an All-Pro caliber center when healthy, but I doubt many of us saw him among the best offensive linemen in the league at this point in time.

Feel free to comment...

When I see a picture of him he looks like he could be nothing else except a football player. Straight out of central casting in Hollywood

I thought he looked like the redneck on the Dodge commercial: "Is that a Hemi?"

like hearing coaches around the league point out interior OL for good play. The Dline coaches watch hours of tape on up coming OL and they see and know more then anyone.

Wood was built to be a center, he has had a bad run of luck. Hopefully this year the Bills have an injury free season, and the playoff curse is broken!

like hearing coaches around the league point out interior OL for good play. The Dline coaches watch hours of tape on up coming OL and they see and know more then anyone.

Wood was built to be a center, he has had a bad run of luck. Hopefully this year the Bills have an injury free season, and the playoff curse is broken!

A-men, hallelujah, praise be to my God, your God, the football Gods and that Buffalo Bills Saint that has disappeared for over a decade. This I think is as big a factor as any for a make or break season. We miss you Rusty!!

If we resign Byrd and only have the money for one, who do you resign...Levitre or Wood?

Levitre, EASY. He has the longer arms.

Long arms for OT's is a huge determining factor when predicting overal success, reliability, and sustainability.

trust me

I'm not sure how many of you have been following the NFL.com "Podium Awards" series written by former NFL Scout Daniel Jeremiah, but I found this one particularly interesting.

Apparently, part of putting together his awards list included polling coaches from around the league to get a feel for who were the best of the best. To my relative surprise, when evaluating offensive linemen, he writes:

There was a long list of candidates for this last spot on the podium. The offensive and defensive line coaches that I spoke with were very high on Ravens guard Marshal Yanda. Another name that kept popping up was a bit of a sleeper on the national scene: Bills center Eric Wood.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82965009/article/nfl-podium-awards-jahri-evans-headlines-offensive-linemen

Not that it means a lot, but I found it interesting and mildly surprising that Wood is so highly thought of around the league. I mean, many of us feel he's capable of becoming an All-Pro caliber center when healthy, but I doubt many of us saw him among the best offensive linemen in the league at this point in time.

Feel free to comment...

I think we've all thought this, but our fan bias causes us to hesitate in saying it . . . anyhow, if he can stay healthy for an entire season, and if the BIlls are serious play-off contenders, then he may get the league-wide recognition he deserves.

If we resign Byrd and only have the money for one, who do you resign...Levitre or Wood?

A great question. The versatility of Levitre is undeniable, but we have some good guards in the stable to back him up this year. Wood is our only legit C. Urbik did his best, but he is a guard. If Wood stays healthy for a year (big IF), he is my choice.

if it comes down to that: I say, don't resign Byrd and use the $ to resign the more valuable assets, Wood and Levitre!

Levitre, EASY. He has the longer arms.

Long arms for OT's is a huge determining factor when predicting overal success, reliability, and sustainability.

trust me

I don't know if this is a recurring joke of yours because when you say "trust me," you're invariably wrong… and I've corrected you on this before.

Anyways, for the record Levitre's arm length is 32.5 inches and Wood's is 33.75 inches.

Trust me.

http://footballsfuture.com/2009/combine/c.html

if it comes down to that: I say, don't resign Byrd and use the $ to resign the more valuable assets, Wood and Levitre!

I hear you, but I think Byrd took a huge step last season and is ready to round into the all-around playmaker most of us prematurally anointed him as after his rookie year. He was our best defender last seaon IMO.

As for the lineman, it's a tough decision because you've got two very good players who are ready to enter their primes. Both potential pro-bowlers from here on out. One is hurt a lot, but is the more naturally talented of the two. The other has proven to be reliable and able to play multiple positions at a high level. It's a draw, with the slight edge going to Levitre due to Woods injuries.

Edited by stony

Colin Brown started the season finale against the Pats at center. Anyone remember how he looked?

Brown looked pretty good, as I recall. I didn't re-watch the game though so my impression is just that.

As for Wood, when he stepped in for Hangartner on short notice and dominated Cleveland nose tackle Ahtyba Rubin, it was a pretty clear sign that Wood had been playing out of position at guard.

For those that didn't click the link, the top 3 OL according to the author get gold, silver, and bronze.

In all, the author named only 9 offensive linemen so the implication of Wood being mentioned is pretty clear.