the country of exxon

here's the link. looks like interesting reading but probably too depressing to read the book in it's entirety. amazing the influence they have over international and american foreign policy. the quote from bush to the indian prime minister is telling "nobody tells those guys what to do". reactions, comments?

Edited by birdog1960

here's the link. looks like interesting reading but probably too depressing to read the book in it's entirety. amazing the influence they have over international and american foreign policy. the quote from bush to the indian prime minister is telling "nobody tells those guys what to do". reactions, comments?

The quote from Bush was in response to the question "Why don't you just tell them what to do?"

And in general...yes, the American government isn't in the business of telling corporations how to do business. Even when they took over GM, they didn't tell GM how to do business.

The quote from Bush was in response to the question "Why don't you just tell them what to do?"

And in general...yes, the American government isn't in the business of telling corporations how to do business. Even when they took over GM, they didn't tell GM how to do business.

i took it as a more general statement. in this case, i think his tone mattered but since neither of us was there to hear it, let's assume it was a specific answer to this question. how bout exxon's ability to influence the us govt (not to mention our old friend wolfowitz at the world bank) to influence the outcomes of civil upheaval in chad and indonesia for there own purposes?

i'm sure you cynical guys here knew all this before but apparently many large news agencies including politico and time felt it an important book with new revelations, many interviewing the author for further clarity.

Edited by birdog1960

i took it as a more general statement. in this case, i think his tone mattered but since neither of us was there to hear it, let's assume it was a specific answer to this question. how bout exxon's ability to influence the us govt (not to mention our old friend wolfowitz at the world bank) to influence the outcomes of civil upheaval in chad and indonesia for there own purposes?

i'm sure you cynical guys here knew all this before but apparently many large news agencies including politico and time felt it an important book with new revelations, many interviewing the author for further clarity.

Wait, so large news agencies are all over an author who wrote a book that negatively portrays a large oil company and shows the all powerful government they dream of as something less than they believe it should be?

That's surprising. <_<

Many large news agencies thought Scott McClellan's book was important.

Many large news agencies thought Scott McClellan's book was important.

don't think reuters and spiegle had much interest in that one...but your responses are predictable. yall already knew the world was really run by a loosely aligned group of multinational corporations...and that's the way you like it!

don't think reuters and spiegle had much interest in that one...but your responses are predictable. yall already knew the world was really run by a loosely aligned group of multinational corporations...and that's the way you like it!

So if i am to understand you correctly, Exxon and other large multinationals control the "world"? Now when you say "world" , does that include the US, Germany,China and Australia? And if so, can you give some actual evidence in how they are "running" the world?

Your responses, on the other hand, are an unexpectedly fresh and enlightened look into the mind of an aging, liberal, hippie douche. Let me guess, you predicted that too. You're just a regular Nostradamus.

Edited by Rob's House

So if i am to understand you correctly, Exxon and other large multinationals control the "world"? Now when you say "world" , does that include the US, Germany,China and Australia? And if so, can you give some actual evidence in how they are "running" the world?

i think the excerpts of the book in articles and interviews, widely available, give several examples of exxon's power and influence in the world. australia, china, germany? probably not directly or in the same obvious manner they have in places like chad or indonesia but yes, money buys influence in these places as well. do they pull the puppet strings on rulers in china? no, i greatly doubt it but are the chinese worried about the world economy more than feeding their peasants? i bet they are and exxon and other multinationals are big players that are not ignored in policy making and decisions making.

oh and the us? certainly during the bush admin, less so with the dems in power but i think bp had some influence over the feds handling of the spill. so yes, even with the dems they have significant power in the us. more so after the supremes, citizens united ruling.

Edited by birdog1960

Coll's pretty good, and generally writes and researches well. I'm not denigrating his work, not until I read it.

However, I've read your body of work, and feel perfectly comfortable denigrating you, both on general principle and for taking a single quote third-hand with no context and drawing a blanket conclusion.

Mostly on principle, though.

Your responses, on the other hand, are an unexpectedly fresh and enlightened look into the mind of an aging, liberal, hippie douche. Let me guess, you predicted that too. You're just a regular Nostradamus.

that's at least the 3rd time you've tried to insult me by referencing this...do you know anyone not aging? you'd be able to fund your entire law school expense by just revealing that one subject. most societies that are considered sophisticated throughout history honor their elders. the fact that you don't, seems to point to the likelihood that you've been thoroughly hoodwinked by your corporate keepers: youth is the only desirable and appreciated state (despite the fact that most ceo's of major multinational corps are older than i).

that's at least the 3rd time you've tried to insult me by referencing this...do you know anyone not aging? you'd be able to fund your entire law school expense by just revealing that one subject. most societies that are considered sophisticated throughout history honor their elders. the fact that you don't, seems to point to the likelihood that you've been thoroughly hoodwinked by your corporate keepers: youth is the only desirable and appreciated state (despite the fact that most ceo's of major multinational corps are older than i).

Crayonz....paging crayonz.

I don't think he meant "aging" alone, but "aging liberal hippie". In the sense of someone desperately trying to hold on to the last vestiges of their youth, despite all evidence that it has, in fact, passed them by.

You dumb hippie.

I don't think he meant "aging" alone, but "aging liberal hippie". In the sense of someone desperately trying to hold on to the last vestiges of their youth, despite all evidence that it has, in fact, passed them by.

You dumb hippie.

so aging conservative boor is more glamorous, somehow? btw aging and liberal i'll proudly admit to.

So quit buying gasoline, or anything made from oil. It's just that easy to crush these monsters.

if the US Government TRULY controlled me, they would dictate what I eat, where I live, how I live, what I wipe my ass with, what I listen to, what I watch on TV, how my news is consumed, how I educate my children, what my children eat, how I recreate, on and on.

If Exxon Mobil TRULY controlled me they would try to get me to buy more gasoline.

"I pledge allegiance, to the big oil, in the United States of Exxon...."