A shout out to Buddy, Doug, Chan and the players.

Listening to player interviews and reading about many of these guys,

The Bills are filled with likeable, hard working, smart, talented athletes with good character that are easy to root for.

Many of them do charitable work and many of them show a strong faith in the Lord.

Nice job Buddy Nix, Doug Whalley, and Chan Gailey. Thanks for bringing these group of players here.

Way to go Bills players.

Thanks for being a part of our community.

Edited by Superhero

Agreed. A big reason I am so passionate for our Bills is due to the type of character that our team continues to bring in. It must be hard to be an Eagles fan rooting for Dog Killer (Vick), the Bengals with those idiots and countless other idiots on other teams. I'm proud to be a Bills fan, not only for the team itself, but the type of character our team continues to bring in.

I couldn't care less about the faith in the Lord stuff, but otherwise I'm 100% on board with the OP.

Not saying you should on a personal level (that, obviously, is your choice and always should be), but on a football level, I've always felt that players with a strong faith background were (a) less likely to get involved in off-the-field nonsense, and (b) more likely to value where they're at career-wise and make the most of it.

Just my opinion; hopefully that doesn't open up a can of worms.

Nevertheless, I totally agree with the OP; this is a team of players you can't help but really, really want to see succeed.

You probably just could have left that to yourself..

Why is that? Not ok to acknowledge that isn't important to me?

Not saying you should on a personal level (that, obviously, is your choice and always should be), but on a football level, I've always felt that players with a strong faith background were (a) less likely to get involved in off-the-field nonsense, and (b) more likely to value where they're at career-wise and make the most of it.

Just my opinion; hopefully that doesn't open up a can of worms.

Nevertheless, I totally agree with the OP; this is a team of players you can't help but really, really want to see succeed.

I don't have facts to back me up, but I would guess the VAST majority of NFL players come from what most would call "strong faith" backgrounds. I doubt there is a correlation as you have suggested.

That said -- I love the makeup of the players on this Bills roster and thoroughly enjoy rooting for them.

love this team as it is constructed of good people who happen to have some talent to bring to the field on sundays. it's important to have examples to show your kids of being a good person first and having values. i don't believe in the "i am not a role model" stuff. like it or not, you absolutely are.

Why is that? Not ok to acknowledge that isn't important to me?

I don't have facts to back me up, but I would guess the VAST majority of NFL players come from what most would call "strong faith" backgrounds. I doubt there is a correlation as you have suggested.

That said -- I love the makeup of the players on this Bills roster and thoroughly enjoy rooting for them.

You're right ... You don't have facts to back it up.

I couldn't care less about the faith in the Lord stuff, but otherwise I'm 100% on board with the OP.

Come on eball, you can't post a comment like that. You know how touchy the large religious majority gets when someone, anyone disagrees with them.

Me personally, i'd rather have the guys in the early '90s - you know the ones who went out drinking and cheating on their wives, and went to 4 superbowls?

I know a helluva lot of good people who are agnostic or atheist and a helluva lot of good people who are religious… and none of you have any facts to back your opposing views.

Which is essentially my point.

Come on eball, you can't post a comment like that. You know how touchy the large religious majority gets when someone, anyone disagrees with them.

Me personally, i'd rather have the guys in the early '90s - you know the ones who went out drinking and cheating on their wives, and went to 4 superbowls?

Touchy? eballs the one that felt it was important to point out he disagrees with the faith in the lord part. Why not let it go?

I know a helluva lot of good people who are agnostic or atheist and a helluva lot of good people who are religious… and none of you have any facts to back your opposing views.

Of course; I never meant to imply otherwise.

My response to eball was simply to point out one reason why an organization might put a small amount of stock into whether or not the player has a strong faith background. I also have no issue with eball's response, as--like you pointed out--nobody has the facts to back up their position.

I was raised by my family to have a strong faith, so I relate to players that have one as well, but I certainly don't knock the ones that don't; provided--of course--that they conduct themselves as professionals, which I think is the real focus of the organization.

Just my thoughts.

Let's be honest, religion is a touchy subject for ALL sides.

However, I didn't see anyone react in this thread with anything outrageous.

Which is essentially my point.

I picked that up pretty clearly...it's all subjective on that subject.

Touchy? eballs the one that felt it was important to point out he disagrees with the faith in the lord part. Why not let it go?

Important? No. I merely read the OP, and shared my thoughts that, to ME, a player's religious faith, or lack thereof, does not play into whether or not I find it easy to root for him. Further, it's MY opinion that the existence of such faith does not necessarily correlate to how "good" of a citizen that person is. I hope it's ok for me to have those opinions.

Thanks for this post, and thanks to eball for his previous ones as well. I think it's incredibly disparaging to players who aren't religious to automatically link being of faith- in one religion- to having good character; it implies that those who aren't religious lack a positive influence on the community.

I hope doug whaley is really learning alot from nix and i hope he stays with us as nixs prodigy. i think if this happens we will relieve the late 80s early 90s all over again! we are on the right track

Agreed. Doug Whaley seems like a straight-shooter like Nix and Gailey. One great thing about Buddy and Chan is that when they say something, they follow through and do it. Examples: Buddy said he wanted to draft 2 OTs and 2 CBs and did it. He said he would extend Freddy and did it. Chan said any player who celebrated in the end zone and drew a penalty would sit the rest of the game, and he sat Stevie.

In Buddy We Trust

Agreed. Doug Whaley seems like a straight-shooter like Nix and Gailey. One great thing about Buddy and Chan is that when they say something, they follow through and do it. Examples: Buddy said he wanted to draft 2 OTs and 2 CBs and did it. He said he would extend Freddy and did it. Chan said any player who celebrated in the end zone and drew a penalty would sit the rest of the game, and he sat Stevie.

In Buddy We Trust

I wondered why when the Bills were up 21-0 in the last game of the season they lost; now I know. I just wonder if the players quit? What happened? If they were pissed I understand; but, on the flip side of the coin to have them up 21-0 shows they were committed to win. A questionable debate.

I wondered why when the Bills were up 21-0 in the last game of the season they lost; now I know. I just wonder if the players quit? What happened? If they were pissed I understand; but, on the flip side of the coin to have them up 21-0 shows they were committed to win. A questionable debate.

Sitting Stevie might have led some players to think they were not in it to win it at that point in the game, but in any event, the wheels came off the bus. Maybe, the 2012 edition of the Bills won't let that happen this year.