Buscaglia tweet suggests Fred's contract may be close?

Joe tweeted that Fred's agent responded to a question about progress on a new deal with "check back with me in a couple of days."

Or it means this is the first time that the two sides are actually exchanging proposals and LaBoy will know if they are reasonably close or miles away. It's good to know they started talking though, and it's what Nix promised to do, after the draft.

Also last week they were informed what their rookie allotment is so the price certainty for their payroll has increased marginally between the allotment and knowing how many draft picks they have to sign (9 instead of 10).

So that's why Nix traded up and gave up a draft pick....So we could give give Fred a raise.

Or it means this is the first time that the two sides are actually exchanging proposals and LaBoy will know if they are reasonably close or miles away. It's good to know they started talking though, and it's what Nix promised to do, after the draft.

This is great news- for better or worse something will happen soon.

If Fred and Buddy can't agree on a "fair" extension, I think we'll see Fred be dealt before training camp rather than be kept as a disgruntled back who will walk at the end of the year for nothing.

That said, my gut tells me they'll work it out. I don't think Fred's agent would comment at all if he thought they won't be able to reach an agreement that keeps Fred here.

PS Not to nitpick, but LaBoy is Stevie's agent. Ron Raccuia is Fred's.

Buscaglia's story

Edited by uncle flap

This is great news- for better or worse something will happen soon.

If Fred and Buddy can't agree on a "fair" extension, I think we'll see Fred be dealt before training camp rather than be kept as a disgruntled back who will walk at the end of the year for nothing.

That said, my gut tells me they'll work it out. I don't think Fred's agent would comment at all if he thought they won't be able to reach an agreement that keeps Fred here.

PS Not to nitpick, but LaBoy is Stevie's agent. Ron Raccuia is Fred's.

Buscaglia's story

Oh right. My bad. Thanks.

yeah, I think they will work it out, too. Unfortunately, Fred is one of the hardest players in the league, especially at this point in his career, to put a dollar value on. I think they need to somewhat overpay him, but that overpaying is still in the 3 year 15 mil total range.

yeah, I think they will work it out, too. Unfortunately, Fred is one of the hardest players in the league, especially at this point in his career, to put a dollar value on. I think they need to somewhat overpay him, but that overpaying is still in the 3 year 15 mil total range.

What does CJ make (avg per season)?

I think that would be fair, but I don't know if that would qualify as outright "overpaying." I hope that Fred is reasonable and accepts a deal in that range, but if he is looking to be rewarded for past performance on the cheap that may not be enough. I don't think he would get much more if he was on the open market though, so it's tough to say.

What does CJ make (avg per season)?

His base salary this year is $852,917 but his average is $5 million over course of the contract.

NFL Salaries

You can also see all NFL RB average and base salaries to try to figure what the rate for Fred might be.

Not as a raise for Fred Jackson, no, which is what we were talking about. And certainly not in the scheme of things for an NFL player.

You hit the nail on the head. Based on Freddie's salary last year, he should expect an increase in the $3 million dollar range annually. That is definitely more than what the 7th rounder would have seen in a 3 year deal, never mind annually. That being said, $390K is still a bucketload of money to most anyone that is not a pro athlete.

I really, really want to see Freddie retire as a Bill. Watching him go elsewhere to finish his career would be a travesty. Maybe not a "Thurman to the Dolphins" moment, but a travesty regardless.

Ha. Not much of a raise. That 7th pick would be signed for $390,000 or so. 7th rounders make about 1.3 mil for three years.

Actually that 7th rounder making the team vs a vet taking the same roster spot could have saved us some cash.

For a player of Fred's age, guaranteed money is the only thing that matters.