How much have Bills improved??

Keep in mind the point I was making revolved around the players that missed most of the season last year that should be available and able to make a big impact this year. Spiller wasn't one of those players. I certainly expect big things from him this year.

T. Choice was one of those players. Gailey loves what Choice brings to the table. He runs hard, catches the ball out of the backfield very well, and is another solid veteran RB to add to the mix. J. White is a just a big huge question mark as a RB, although not a bad ST player. Choice is going to make the team over White for those reasons.

The list above is almost a listing of all new players being added to this year's roster since guys like K. Williams, for instance, missed so many games. Just getting K. Williams back for good is a huge upgrade.

eball has explained above why B. Smith is bound to make a much bigger impact this year. New QB Coach, Mark Lee, is the inventor of the Wilcat so you can bet that he is going to find ways to best use Smith. That can only help make the Bills' offense tougher to deal with. As Gailey has said himself, just having the Wildcat in your arsenal forces the opposing to team to spend time preparing for it, which means they can't spend as much time preparing for the regular offense.

Great point. Under Jauron the team had marginal talent and it seemed that the few good players would wear down until they finally broke down.

Also, great username. You're a Bills AND a Lions fan? Or is the name simply a play on the Bills and billions?

Excellent observation. I would say that as also been the case for Chan's first two years. But i think now with the added quality depth, the coaches will feel more comfortable rotating in guys. Especially some guys from last year who saw considerable playing time like a Moats, Carrington, or Batten.

Even the oline should be better BECAUSE of som eof the injuries last year. By this i mean guys like Harrison saw time and Rhinehardt.

These guys will be able to give a series off maybe here or there during a game.

The one thing i also believe is it will take some time for this team to completely jell. I think after the bye week we will really see what we have here.

As I've said, I'm super excited about the Bills roster, pretty much across the board, now. The additions of Tank and Bradham at LB have infused enough talent at the position to put my concern there to rest, and the secondary, I think, has now been increased to the level of a strength. The defense, as a whole, is set to be good, now, for quite some time.

The offensive line is now set, I think, and only has to wait out the development of the guys on the roster already to see us having one of the better lines in the NFL. The RB's are great. The WR's - another concern I had, could be solved now, too, if Easley comes back and stays back, and if Graham turns out to capably play the position they drafted him for.

Really, the only spot on the team where there will be a major question mark, IMO, is QB. Fitzpatrick is definitely being given notice, I think, by Nix and Gailey. They've got their years numbered if they can't start winning, and they've pretty much shown that they are putting this season on Fitz. Either he can lead them to the playoffs and be CONSISTENT, or he'll be dumped and replaced. Prior to the draft I thought they'd definitely have his replacement ready, in case he fails early this year, and I was pretty worried after the draft that they would stake this whole season on his play - and, I think it could come down to that, too. At least, the QB position could tank an otherwise ready team - but, now we've finally got some young QB's with POTENTIAL! No more Thigpen types, please!

The additions of the two UDFA QB's will give the Bills some HOPE, at least, that they have a young QB to develop, and one who has some skills and could lead this team if Fitz falters.

I know, Tanney and Corp? don't evoke name recognition and confidence, but I believe one of those two QB's really have the Bills excited that they might have found that "Diamond in the rough, Brady-type QB", and I think it is Tanney.

So, although we'll have to wait and see with all of them, Fitz and the QB position is the one spot still very, very close to the brink of possible disaster for us. The other spots on the roster are now full of either proven talent, or young college kids ready to make names for themselves.

I'll say it again - this draft, to me, looks like the best draft I can ever remember seeing in Buffalo. I think we'll end up with seven starters/major contributors from the draft/UDFA process, and I think that'll be by next year's end.

I only hope Fitz can pull it together and keep it consistent, or that one of the young guys has something not a lot of people expected - talent enough to play QB in the NFL. (I'm going to be pushing for Tanney until he proves he's not capable. His stats and that Youtube accuracy are just too good to overlook, and reminds me a lot of F. Jackson).

On paper this team is much improved we will have to wait and see if it translates to the field. If the Bills are to make a playoff run it will be on the back of the defense. Fitzbeardy is good enough to win games but he can't carry a team the way that an elite QB can. Fitz will need to be smarter with the ball. If he can cut down on the int's that may be enough in and of itself.

Couple of reasons:

Chan has said he was unable to implement a lot of what they wanted to do with Brad last year because of the lockout, and then he was forced into more of a conventional WR role as a result of injuries. Also, the Bills hired the Godfather of the Wildcat (Lee) to the staff, and have a full offseason and camp to put together a package for Smith.

I am very excited to see how the Bills use him this season, and expect a great deal of productivity.

I see where you're coming from, but the problem with Smith remains his ability (or lack thereof) to throw the ball. There was a game early last season if I re-call where he missed a wide open TD. The play was designed well, he just couldn't execute it.

I just think that the wildcat without the threat of a pass has been largely figured out by the league, regardless of who you have coaching it.

I hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see some bang for our buck out of B. Smith.

As far as the OP goes, I couldn't agree more. If healthy, we are a whole new team. I can't wait for week 1.

I thought it was a very reasonable list. I really look forward to following each of them this year as we get ready for the

pre-season and then of course the football regular season and playoffs.

Feel that Chan should be on this list too. His hands were tied with the lock out and then significant injuries must've a heck of a challenge. I think the playbook is going to surprise us and hopefully quite a few teams.

You guys mention Fitz being a focus and rightly so. As Chan does so goes Fitz. So expect a much different year from the offense.

I think we will also have big improvement from Joe D and the O line. I think the man is super excited with what he now has to work with

I absolutely agree that for the Wildcat to have any success you have to have the threat of the pass, which means that you actually have to throw the ball out of the Wildcat formation in order for then opposing LBs to respect it. You need to throw it even if the passes aren't successful.

The last thing that a LB wants is to have B. Smith throw the ball over his head as he's running with the ball towards the LOS.

8-8 or 9-7.

Avg QB...poor LB...Avg OL...Avg WR

still---much improvement over last year-good job Buddy

Avg QB agreed.

Poor LB should be better with new D Line and Sheppard getting a full offseason. Morrison still the weak link.

Avg OL- Stay healthy this season, this becomes a strength

Avg WR agreed.

I see 9-7 or 10-6 and next season being spend rebuilding the offense.

ChanOverChin, this is a good way to look at this. The team we field on opening day 2012 in New Jersey will be very different than the team that produced such dismal results during the second half of the 2011 season.

But it won't be 30 (31) players different. Some of the guys you listed won't be on the squad opening day.

Nonetheless, I don't think the national sports media fully understands how devastating our injuries were last year. It wasn't just the raw number we had on IR. It was who we had on IR. There was often a huge difference between the play of the starter who was injured and the back up who lined up in his place.

And then there was Fitz who never missed a game due to injury. Yet toward the end of the season he had a banged up line in front of him, back ups and street FAs running routes, Stevie playing at half speed while hurt, FJ on IR, and his own ribs torturing him with severe pain.

Yep, this year looks to be much different.

I agree that some of the players that I mentioned will not be on the final 53 man roster. I assume you're referring to guys like Tanney and Corp.

I was amazed at how many actual players that had missed so much of last year once I started to put the list together.

I agree that some of the players that I mentioned will not be on the final 53 man roster. I assume you're referring to guys like Tanney and Corp.

I was amazed at how many actual players that had missed so much of last year once I started to put the list together.

Injuries always play a big role for every team.

The Bills made great strides with the defensive starters this off season. But team depth is still a big question mark. With the exception of maybe the secondary and running backs, any injury to a starter is going to be extremely noticeable.

Enough to challenge for a playoff spot IMO.

Enough to have a few players lead the league statistically.

Enough that teams will be once again afraid to play in Buffalo!

Enough that there may be interest in my tickets in December!

Sorry, may be your opinion but it is not the truth. Fitz has the talent and the players surrounding him to be succesful.

This also is just an opinion.

Edited by kidprison

The Bills made great strides with the defensive starters this off season. But team depth is still a big question mark. With the exception of maybe the secondary and running backs, any injury to a starter is going to be extremely noticeable.

I think you can add OL to the list of areas in which depth has been addressed.

Assuming Fitz stays healthy, we should be somewhere in 9-7, 10-6, 11-5 territory. We still play in a tough division, so I think anything above 11 wins is highly optimistic. (But I'm hoping for the best).

Go Bills! :beer:

I am hoping that with the additions to our O line and getting Wood back we will be a little/lot thicker with quality depth, Even with Sanders the 5 rounder. By season start i bet he will be able to spell someone and i expect more of Glenn who can play multiple positions also. we made some errors at the time of, and really were not prepared for massive injury toll at LT to "two" of our top "two" players. That is asking alot. Wood was really on his a game then lost of course. These guys are going to be on the same page this year with offseason, and i expect to surprise the doubters.

I would question the receiving corp myself. not sure what we really have yet.