May Movies: Avengers, MIB 3, Dark Shadows, & Battleship.....

Bleh. I love depressing films, but only when they're at least marginally well thought-out.

I actually do too...but this ain't it lol. You're one of the smarter guys on here, Levi...and just from what I know about you through our forum interaction, if you came back and said you thought this was a good film, I'd truly be shocked. A much better choice for this sort of film would be something like "My Life" with Michael Keaton. Even that wasn't a GREAT film, but it doesn't insult your intelligence like this one.

It's pretty rare that I hack all over a film...I don't like being a negative person, but especially since I have some experience with the subject matter here, I just really felt this was a poor effort. The cast is great, but the film is poop.

Where do you live Tgreg? I was crushed last night when I realized it wasn't playing anywhere near me. I'm a huge Wes Anderson fan, I've seen every one of his films in the theater since I saw Bottle Rocket. My favorite being Rushmore.

Los Angeles ... I didn't realize it was a limited release until this morning. It will get a broader release I am certain. It's too fun not too.

Can't wait to see Moonrise Kingdom. Saw MIB3 this weekend. It was better than the original MIB. Dark Shadows was CRAP. Not touching Battleship. Also can't wait for Prometheus.

Saw MIB 3 also - tepid at best. Better than part 2 but certainly not as good as the first one. I actually had some hopes for #3 but thought the plot lacked depth and the jokes were forced. Not much flowed freely. It was good entertainment for 1 hr 45 minutes but could have been better.

Dark Shadows is a rare Burton movie that I have zero interest in watching. (this coming from a guy who thought his 'Planet of the Apes' was pretty good). Depp better change his style in a hurry as his performances are getting way too repetitive. More 'Public Enemy' and less Captain Sparrow will do him good.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Saw MIB 3 also - tepid at best. Better than part 2 but certainly not as good as the first one. I actually had some hopes for #3 but thought the plot lacked depth and the jokes were forced. Not much flowed freely. It was good entertainment for 1 hr 45 minutes but could have been better.

Dark Shadows is a rare Burton movie that I have zero interest in watching. (this coming from a guy who thought his 'Planet of the Apes' was pretty good). Depp better change his style in a hurry as his performances are getting way too repetitive. More 'Public Enemy' and less Captain Sparrow will do him good.

Burton will have "Frankenweenie" out later this year, so that should be fun to see.

As for Depp, I tend to agree with you on how it would be nice to see him do some different things. "Public Enemies" was good, but it had the potential to be great. A shame too, because I like Michael Mann as a director, and I really wanted to love that movie.

Looks like we will have to wait on Depp. He'll be Tonto in next year's "Lone Ranger" movie and it looks like Pirates 5 is all set to go.

Los Angeles ... I didn't realize it was a limited release until this morning. It will get a broader release I am certain. It's too fun not too.

My apologies as well. I listed "Moonrise Kingdom" as if it would have had a wide release in this thread, alas it only opened in NY & LA this past weekend. Look for it to expand in the coming week or two. Sorry for any confusion.

Burton will have "Frankenweenie" out later this year, so that should be fun to see.

As for Depp, I tend to agree with you on how it would be nice to see him do some different things. "Public Enemies" was good, but it had the potential to be great. A shame too, because I like Michael Mann as a director, and I really wanted to love that movie.

Looks like we will have to wait on Depp. He'll be Tonto in next year's "Lone Ranger" movie and it looks like Pirates 5 is all set to go.

I agree on your 'Public Enemies' comment. I do want Depp to take on more of such roles though and just stop doing these ridiculously stupid 'Pirates' movies which are turning him into a caricature. I understand that the Pirates franchise makes a lot of money but at some point, a good actor has to think about his legacy and stop thinking about how to swoon through the same role 4 (or five) times over.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I liked MIB3. It closed a number of open questions that had been brought up in the first two. And that ending was so poignant. Great casting for Josh Brolin as Young K. That was just a spot-on impression --- that's something that's been tried before in any number of movies and it's a gambit every time because I've seen it fail miserably. I'm sorry if you were looking for a Woody Allen movie or something, but that's not what MIB is.

Agreed about Depp. He's basically played the same character in different garb in almost every one of his recent movies. Likewise, there's a reason why many people can't stand DMB or Nickelback.

I'm glad to hear that MIB3 didn't totally suck...I had heard there were some issues with production and it was sort of moving forward without direction. Sounds like they at least pulled off a product that is entertaining, even if it's not quite up to par with the first one.

I'm glad to hear that MIB3 didn't totally suck...I had heard there were some issues with production and it was sort of moving forward without direction. Sounds like they at least pulled off a product that is entertaining, even if it's not quite up to par with the first one.

That's a tall order when you think about it. The sequel was 5 years after the first movie. And this sequel was 10 years after MIB2.

I agree on your 'Public Enemies' comment. I do want Depp to take on more of such roles though and just stop doing these ridiculously stupid 'Pirates' movies which are turning him into a caricature. I understand that the Pirates franchise makes a lot of money but at some point, a good actor has to think about his legacy and stop thinking about how to swoon through the same role 4 (or five) times over.

Turning into a caricature? I'd say he's already been there for about 10 years or so now. Sometimes I wonder if a script starts out with a completely normal character and it quickly gets morphed into that same androgynous freak that he plays every single time.

edit: Oh, and for those who saw MIB3, how is the K screen time split up between Jones and Brolin, 50/50, 40/60... ?

Edited by shrader