Teams Weakest Position

Owen

For me its the center position, the team went to complete hell once Wood went on IR. The O line never found the same stability without Wood.

Now it remains to be seen how well all this years draft picks acclimate to the pro level. The Bills might have found that #2 WR, LBers, back up center,and LT.

The only real concern is back up QB, but then undrafted rookie QB Aaron Corp beat out Matt Barkley at USC and then broke his leg, so it might be wise of Gailey to give the kid lots of reps to see if he is good enough to become a backup.

preseason should tell us everything

Edited by Fear the Beard

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the one injury we can least afford, is to our starting QB.....we could take a single hit to any other group and still be ok. after QB, then i would say Stevie Johnson and the WR group. i'm not saying these are our best players, just the ones that would be the hardest to replace.

This is a good way of looking at it and you're right: Fitz (whether or not we all agree he's a "franchise quarterback") is indispensable at present. If Fitz got hurt, I'd be afraid to fire up the TV on Sundays to watch Thigpen lead our offense.

Starting QB, hands down. I hope he proves me wrong by showing it's not a need position because the building blocks throughout the team are there for Fitz to be successful. This is a make or break year for him.

I lifted this from the Bills message board it is Toddy McShay's insider 2013 Mock:

Todd McShay's 2013 NFL Mock Draft - First Edition

1. IND - Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah

2. STL - Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin

3. MIN - Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas

4. CLE - Robert Woods, WR, USC

5. TB - D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama

6. OAK - Matt Barkley, QB, USC

7. STL - Keenan Allen, WR, California

8. MIA - Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia

9. NYJ - Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU

10. ARZ - Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU

11. CAR - David Amerson, CB, N.C. State

12. SEA - Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor

13. TB - Johnathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State

14. TEN - William Gholston, DE/DT, Michigan State

15. CHI - Johnny Adams, CB, Michigan State

16. SD - Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina

17. BUF - Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech

18. DEN - Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

19. KC - Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma

20. HOU - T.J. McDonald, S, USC

21. ATL - Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

22. DAL - Eric Reid, S, LSU

23. DET - Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

24. NO - Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois

25. CIN - Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

26. BAL - Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina

27. PHI - Oday Aboushi, OT, Virginia

28. SF - Johnathan Hankins, NT, Ohio State

29. GB - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M

30. PIT - Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

31. NYG - Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford

32. NE - Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State

That's just being silly. Our D-line looks like this: Pro-bowler, Pro-bowler, #3 overall pick in draft, 10 sacks last year. Backed up by Kelsay, Johnson, Edwards, Carrington. Under the salary cap system, you simply cannot have that kind of quality and depth at every position.

Our D-line is much improved on paper. But Mario is coming off an injury, and is new to our team. Often a change of scenery for a players can have poor results as well as good. I'm not saying this will happen, all I'm saying is it's a question mark. As far as Kelsay, Johnson, Edwards, Carrington goes, I just don't expect much from them.

Right now I'm cautiously optimistic.

Corners: I understand they just drafted for DB, and they rookie hasn't seen the field yet, however he sounds like the real deal, and is said to be intelligent and have ball skills.

You're not convinced?

I'm a huge Gamecock fan, so getting Gilmore was a pleasant surprise for me. I expect him to be great, but you just don't know until he hits the field. So hence the question mark.

The team made great moves this off season, but so did the Eagles last year and the Redskins every year. I'm not saying we are them, but you don't win games on paper alone. Until they show it on the field all positions except RB and Safety are suspect.

Edited by MikeSpeed

I lifted this from the Bills message board it is Toddy McShay's insider 2013 Mock:

Todd McShay's 2013 NFL Mock Draft - First Edition

1. IND - Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah

2. STL - Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin

3. MIN - Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas

4. CLE - Robert Woods, WR, USC

5. TB - D.J. Fluker, OT, Alabama

6. OAK - Matt Barkley, QB, USC

7. STL - Keenan Allen, WR, California

8. MIA - Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia

9. NYJ - Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB, LSU

10. ARZ - Sam Montgomery, DE/OLB, LSU

11. CAR - David Amerson, CB, N.C. State

12. SEA - Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor

13. TB - Johnathan Banks, CB, Mississippi State

14. TEN - William Gholston, DE/DT, Michigan State

15. CHI - Johnny Adams, CB, Michigan State

16. SD - Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina

17. BUF - Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech

18. DEN - Manti Te'o, ILB, Notre Dame

19. KC - Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma

20. HOU - T.J. McDonald, S, USC

21. ATL - Kawann Short, DT, Purdue

22. DAL - Eric Reid, S, LSU

23. DET - Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

24. NO - Michael Buchanan, DE, Illinois

25. CIN - Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

26. BAL - Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina

27. PHI - Oday Aboushi, OT, Virginia

28. SF - Johnathan Hankins, NT, Ohio State

29. GB - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M

30. PIT - Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

31. NYG - Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford

32. NE - Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington State

McShay has 5 AFC playoff teams (no AFC West winner) and 7 NFC teams. That seems like quite the oversight.

I don't think it's fair to identify LT or WR as a continuing need. I think the Bills think they have their starters at tackle and #2 outside WR on the roster. Until the draft class hits the field, I'm inclined to defer to the front office.

LB quality is an interesting question. From the interviews I've read with Wannstedt, it's not a critical position. You wouldn't want me lining up at OLB, but it's not where your big playmakers go. Furthermore, the Bills will be in nickle and dime packages so often that a player like Morrison will only be on the field for something like 30-40% of defensive snaps.

If we give the front office the benefit of the doubt and say that Fitz is the answer and this draft class will pan out, then I think the hole is a lack of overall depth, primarily at WR, LB, TE, QB. The fall-off from Johnson to Nelson/Jones/Graham is significant. Same with Fitz to Thigpen, Sheppard or Barnett to whoever, Chandler to Lee. Injuries happen and depth matters a lot. Bills need to hit on this draft and the next to be competitive with the big AFC teams. If Fitz isn't the answer, it's another 4-5 years of waiting.

Who is that? Easley? He has never played a down in the NFL and hails from U Conn. Graham? He could take longer to develop than Stevie did. Nelson - he is better suited as a split out TE than a WR. He is a career #4. The rest would be hard pressed to even make the Browns roster. Maybe there is a surprise cut for salary cap reasons somewhere. It is doubtful the Steeler would move Wallace now with the great draft they had. With Suggs injury and the new offensive lineman they have, they are legit SB contenders.

McShay has 5 AFC playoff teams (no AFC West winner) and 7 NFC teams. That seems like quite the oversight.

If you read the intro, it was just the reverse order of a power ranking post draft.

Buddy Nix has done a nice job nice being with the Bills. A lot better than the people before him.

This offseason the team has improved greatly in free agency and in the draft... Buddy says he is still trying to upgrade the team...

What position is currently the weakest in your mind? Why? and who should be replaced if anyone?

QB is for me hands down is the weak link until proven otherwise simply because of how important the position is and how many question marks remain. Every year for the last 2 years I keep hearing Fitz is gonna step just to see a laundry list of excuses as to why he struggles (of course, none are his fault). Thigpen is lucky to even be on a roster behind him and scares me if Fitz gets hurt.

I would love nothing more than to see Fitz be the guy, but I still need to see more from him and consistency. This team lives or dies with him this year, and I dont want to hear any more excuses this year. Put up or shut up. If he can step up this team can surprise and be dangerous this year. He keeps throwing into double and triple coverage, missing targets, being among the leaders in turnovers, etc then we will be a 9 win team at best.

So, for me, its the weakest position as he has yet to ever put a consistent season together and Thigpen offers no hope if Fitz goes down. Please oh please prove me wrong Fitz! I want to win this year and he holds the keys to it all and that makes me nervous.

Edited by Alphadawg7

If you spend even a little time reading the BBMB or the TBD message board a case can be made that the 12th man is a weak spot.

Dont have to be bright to be positive spot, sometimes helps when your teams is 0 for century to this point in playoff appearances.

:D

QB is for me hands down is the weak link until proven otherwise simply because of how important the position is and how many question marks remain. Every year for the last 2 years I keep hearing Fitz is gonna step just to see a laundry list of excuses as to why he struggles (of course, none are his fault). Thigpen is lucky to even be on a roster behind him and scares me if Fitz gets hurt.

I would love nothing more than to see Fitz be the guy, but I still need to see more from him and consistency. This team lives or dies with him this year, and I dont want to hear any more excuses this year. Put up or shut up. If he can step up this team can surprise and be dangerous this year. He keeps throwing into double and triple coverage, missing targets, being among the leaders in turnovers, etc then we will be a 9 win team at best.

So, for me, its the weakest position as he has yet to ever put a consistent season together and Thigpen offers no hope if Fitz goes down. Please oh please prove me wrong Fitz! I want to win this year and he holds the keys to it all and that makes me nervous.

I agree that the QB is a weak link, but not the weakest. Fitz has his weaknesses like you stated but he is far from a disaster. But behind Fitz there is nothing but despair and failure which makes the position overall pretty weak.

In my opinion however the weakest "position", based on last season, is offensive coordinator.

The quickest way to end this season for the Bills is pigpen playing because Fitz went down.

But the second quickest way is Gailey forcing his 5-wide gameplans all season again and not adapting to defenses. Gailey is alleged to be a offensive genius by some here, he showed me none of that last season. If he does considerably better this season and this weakness becomes a strength then watch out. If this season is more of the same from Chan-the-man then the word of the season will be mediocrity.