Teams Weakest Position

Owen

Buddy Nix has done a nice job nice being with the Bills. A lot better than the people before him.

This offseason the team has improved greatly in free agency and in the draft... Buddy says he is still trying to upgrade the team...

What position is currently the weakest in your mind? Why? and who should be replaced if anyone?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely the backup QB position is a big one. I'm sort of still iffy about the LT position, and maybe some more DL depth may be wanted.

Wow... I just realized how hard it is to be in the offseason and not be seeing a gaping hole in the team anymore. Thank you Buddy!

I'm also thinking that Nix is doing a really nice job. But there remain many holes and questions...

WR. We have a lot of good backups but only one proven starter.

QB. Our starter is less than sensational and Thigpen really worries me as the backup (there's a reason Fitz started after cracking his ribs).

OL. Let's see how it all works out. Last year, despite some of the stats people quote, our line wasn't dominating.

LB. Not sure how our LBs will fair in the 4-3.

S. I think Wilson/Byrd is an okay tandem - nothing great.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Backup QB is the most glaring hole. I'm probably not as concerned about WR as most, because I saw what the Bills did early last season before the injuries hit. Jones comes back, Easley gets his shot, Graham is in the mix, and Hagan is a nice veteran addition. I'm also not counting Roosevelt out. I honestly think one or more of those guys will step up and the Bills will be fine at the position.

OB.. Fitz is only average at best and no backup in place..

TE.. We all went crazy last year when the Bills actually found an average TE.. Bigger, Faster, Stronger apply @ One Bills Drive...

LB.. Not sure yet where all the players will end up.. Might be alright, but still plenty of questions about this group...

LT.. Have a lot of new bodies but we shall see where it goes, needs may have been answered.. The brite spot of this O-Line is Fitz's quick release...

WR.. Again, plenty of bodies maybe someone will step up into the #2 spot... Easley are you ready?

2nd WR and Back up QB, maybe LB as well?

Definitely the backup QB position is a big one. I'm sort of still iffy about the LT position, and maybe some more DL depth may be wanted.

Wow... I just realized how hard it is to be in the offseason and not be seeing a gaping hole in the team anymore. Thank you Buddy!

Backup QB is the most glaring hole. I'm probably not as concerned about WR as most, because I saw what the Bills did early last season before the injuries hit. Jones comes back, Easley gets his shot, Graham is in the mix, and Hagan is a nice veteran addition. I'm also not counting Roosevelt out. I honestly think one or more of those guys will step up and the Bills will be fine at the position.

Backup QB? Really?

There's a good chance that guy will never even see the field. I would understand listing QB as a whole position, because our starter is not a proven winner, but when you list a backup position as your biggest need I think thats a little bit of a stretch. We have plenty of starters that are less than spectacular (LT, LB, TE, WR). Lets worry about those before we start worrying about backups..

Edited by Billsrhody

I'm also thinking that Nix is doing a really nice job. But there remain many holes and questions...

QB. Our starter is less than sensational and Thigpen really worries me as the backup (there's a reason Fitz started after cracking his ribs).

OL. Let's see how it all works out. Last year, despite some of the stats people quote, our line wasn't dominating.

Wow. I mean wow.

Did you not watch these two guys play last year? Through the first half of the season, George Wilson was playing at not an pro-bowl level, but an all-pro level. And then Jairus Byrd got votes for the AP all-pro team IIRC. Give these guys a pass rush for once and let's see how our safeties look.

We are not going to know than answer to your question until next January. I think this is a year where the Bills finally gave us possibilities to fill in the weaknesses, but we will not know if Glenn is the LT answer, any of our CBs are quality NFL starters, whether a #2 WR is on the roster and even if Fitz can be a consistent and quality NFL starter.

Media hype aside, the Bills are considered an "easy opponent" by most everyone in the league until they actually prove otherwise on Sundays.

The WR issue is just like last year with the Giants. One good guy and a bunch of others that developed with a QB who had the time to work with them and had the versatility to adapt his game. I think Fitz with a better line can do that job. We need to widen our plays, get people out on the field and not just down it.

I don't think our WR corp is that bad and I don't think our backup QB is an issue since he should never see the field. I think our T's have the most to prove in camp. One year of production from Chandler and 2nd year man Lee Smith need to prove themselves.

I am not worried about LB. We have enough pieces there.

I would also go with those first four.

Also, to the OP, I would wait to see what happens thi sthird year before saying Nix has done a really nice job. I think this

team is probably 8-8, but not going to the playoffs just yet.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

I don't think it's fair to identify LT or WR as a continuing need. I think the Bills think they have their starters at tackle and #2 outside WR on the roster. Until the draft class hits the field, I'm inclined to defer to the front office.

LB quality is an interesting question. From the interviews I've read with Wannstedt, it's not a critical position. You wouldn't want me lining up at OLB, but it's not where your big playmakers go. Furthermore, the Bills will be in nickle and dime packages so often that a player like Morrison will only be on the field for something like 30-40% of defensive snaps.

If we give the front office the benefit of the doubt and say that Fitz is the answer and this draft class will pan out, then I think the hole is a lack of overall depth, primarily at WR, LB, TE, QB. The fall-off from Johnson to Nelson/Jones/Graham is significant. Same with Fitz to Thigpen, Sheppard or Barnett to whoever, Chandler to Lee. Injuries happen and depth matters a lot. Bills need to hit on this draft and the next to be competitive with the big AFC teams. If Fitz isn't the answer, it's another 4-5 years of waiting.

I'm thinking Linebacker followed shortly by O-Tackle. What scares me about our LB corp is the unknown. I'm not sure we know if they will be successful in our 4-3. Sheppard is unproven as a MLB I'm not buying anyone other than Barnett as a OLB until they prove it.

It would be easier to list which position don't need an upgrade. RB, Safety, and MAYBE D-line.

All the other positions have either question marks or just need upgrades. Hopefully some young guys will step up this year and the list of positions not needing upgrades will become longer than the ones that do.

It would be easier to list which position don't need an upgrade. RB, Safety, and MAYBE D-line.

All the other positions have either question marks or just need upgrades. Hopefully some young guys will step up this year and the list of positions not needing upgrades will become longer than the ones that do.

Corners: I understand they just drafted for DB, and they rookie hasn't seen the field yet, however he sounds like the real deal, and is said to be intelligent and have ball skills.

You're not convinced?

i have never been so pumped on an upcoming season, we actually have talent all over the roster, not only that but a system thats been in place for three years, depth at positions, and most importanltly a new DC with weapons.

No way we dont go 9-7 this year or better (barring catastrophic injury) not saying playoffs as you can go 10-6 and still not make it or 8-8 and make it.

all teams have weak spots, all teams get better on paper ofter the draft, all teams get worse every year do to age and we seem to forget this.

If we had awesome everything wed be a superbowl favorite, lets just be happy we will have the most important things in the game this year, a good passer and a great pass rush.