Will Moats make the team?

Moats and Batten are as good as gone. Carrington may push Kelsay out of a job as well. It may end up being a numbers game. If they keep Scott and I suspect they will and then it will be a decison of how many DB's to keep vs an extra lineman. Tough decisions on the DB's. Do you give up on Rogers and/or McElvin in favor of experience with McGee and Florence? The two rookies and Williams along with Byrd, Searcy, and Wilson make 6 DB's already. Do they keep 8, 9, 10 DB's? I think with all the injuries last year they keep 9 and Rogers is the guy let go though I wouldn't be surprised if it is Florence.

Would hate to see Kelsay go to the Pat's and be a Vrabel type with them...that would suck..

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As the team improves talent wise it's a good thing that it's getting more difficult to decide which potential great talent is worth keeping. The Bills r improving and as they are it will bring up interesting debates as to which players to keep. Two players differentatiated by even 1% might spark up a good drawn out discussion.

As much as I've pissed on Kelsey in my mind he might be worth keeping for another season.

As the team improves talent wise it's a good thing that it's getting more difficult to decide which potential great talent is worth keeping. The Bills r improving and as they are it will bring up interesting debates as to which players to keep. Two players differentatiated by even 1% might spark up a good drawn out discussion.

As much as I've pissed on Kelsey in my mind he might be worth keeping for another season.

Totally agree. Kelsay is good for depth as a pass rushing DE. He seems to be good in the locker room from all we have heard. He may have been the worst OLB of all time but he is decent as a DE.

What happened to Moats? It seemed like two years ago, he was one of the few bright spots in what seemed to be a dismal draft class. I think it was more than just the Favre hit. He seemed to have a pass rushing skill set.

What happened to Moats? It seemed like two years ago, he was one of the few bright spots in what seemed to be a dismal draft class. I think it was more than just the Favre hit. He seemed to have a pass rushing skill set.

They had Moats move from 3-4 OLB to 3-4 ILB in his second year, and he's naturally more comfortable as a pass rusher than as a cover LB since he played 4-3 DE in college. This may partly explain the decline.

Now as a Wannstachian 4-3 OLB, he is even further removed from pass rushing. I still hope he makes the team because he is the best pass-rushing LB we have (Merriman is a DE) and has value in blitz packages.

Ive seen some early 53 man roster predictions and most have Moats getting cut. I hope he makes the team. Hes great for Buffalo and i believe hes a capable backup LB.

It would be nice but he totally does not fit our speedy 43 LB design. So unless he can muscle up for End it doesn't look good.

I think both him and Batten are gone, and are replaced with draft picks.

Batten is an End now and we didn't draft or bring in any UDFAs so he is staying.

It would be nice but he totally does not fit our speedy 43 LB design. So unless he can muscle up for End it doesn't look good.

Batten is an End now and we didn't draft or bring in any UDFAs so he is staying.

DEs: Williams, Kelsay, Anderson, Merriman, Edwards, Batten. I doubt that the Bills are gong to keep 6 DEs and Batten is the worst player in the group.

Bills might want to think about shopping Moats and Batten around for a case of beer or something as opposed to having to cut them for *literally* nothing.

Aside from making a name for himself as the guy who ended Brett Favre's starts streak, what has Moats shown to indicate he's "great for Buffalo?"

Same question I had? He seems to be a good kid, but he hasn't done much on the filed.

It really is great we're having this discussion; truthfully, as a team you don't want "easy" decisions when it comes to cutting the roster -- if every cut hurts, it means the talent is that much better across the board.

I don't know enough about the differences between 3-4 and 4-3 positions to intelligently opine on the respective value of players like Batten, Moats, Carrington, etc., but I'm confident Wanny will keep the best guys for what he wants to do.

Ive seen some early 53 man roster predictions and most have Moats getting cut. I hope he makes the team. Hes great for Buffalo and i believe hes a capable backup LB.

I see he's listed (at least for now) as an OLB. Does he have the talent/athleticism to drop into coverage?

Batten said if I recall correctly from another post "I will not let them cut me" Damnit I wish all our picks had his confidence.

Are you assuming that they don't? His statement sounds like false bravado to me. He will earn a spot or he won't. If he doesn't then he's not good enough. :beer:

Moats is a great guy, but I don't think he'll make the roster. I don't believe he has the coverage skills necessary to play Wannys Defense as a LB. I hope he proves me wrong, because I really do like the guy.

He's shown some flashes when pass rushing out of the 3-4 OLB position. I'm not sure he's big enough to handle the 4-3 DE position, or fast enough to handle 4-3 OLB position.

I like him, but I'm not sure he fits anymore. That's what training camp and pre-season are for. :)

It really is great we're having this discussion; truthfully, as a team you don't want "easy" decisions when it comes to cutting the roster -- if every cut hurts, it means the talent is that much better across the board.

So very true. :)

I don't know enough about the differences between 3-4 and 4-3 positions to intelligently opine on the respective value of players like Batten, Moats, Carrington, etc., but I'm confident Wanny will keep the best guys for what he wants to do.

It may also mean that the overall talent on your team is very low and picking the guys who actually make your team better could be quite murky at best. I would prefer a scenario where a guy like Moats is an obvious cut because we are so stacked on defense. I think he's used up the equity from his Favre hit. He had every opportunity last year to make plays and he didn't reveal himself as any kind of special talent.

I still don't get why people love this guy. What has he ever done on the field other than a single hit on Farve? The guy was a defensive end in college, failed miserably at 3-4 OLB and ILB in the NFL IMO (had plenty of chances to prove himself), and know is behind a host of much more capable and experienced real NFL DE's. I don't see anyway he makes the team, he may be cut before training camp. He is not a solid tackler, does not look good in the open field, and has no coverage skills, so 4-3 LB is pretty much out of the question. I don't think he played much on ST, and when he did he was invisible...

Nothing against the guy, he just doesn't doesn't look like an NFL player. They can't all succeed.

Edited by Turbosrrgood