Easley

And I ask again, other than having hope for the last two training camps, did Easley really look that good in the preseason outings?

To me, he certainly did not stand out to be the clear No. 2 - and we're talking about winning the job from Donald Jones.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just had sort of a light bulb. Maybe we got another one-dimmensional deep-threat kind of WR with good hands because we got good on the OL. I think maybe the strategy is to take advantage of the time that Fitz might actually have this year. Additionally, it looks like T.J. Graham has some run after catch ability that we could really use. Maybe we plan to use him underneath like a roscoe-type as well.

Roscoe was the slot guy so if we use him like that then who will be the #2 ? Or is that where you hope Easley comes in ? Still a lot of questions !!

And I ask again, other than having hope for the last two training camps, did Easley really look that good in the preseason outings?

To me, he certainly did not stand out to be the clear No. 2 - and we're talking about winning the job from Donald Jones.

Almost Andre Reed ish. Almost

He looked very good during the Jacksonville game. Granted, it was only a flash and the Jags turned out to be pretty putrid last season.

So, two years of precious little practice, and zero regular season experience running routes or absorbing contact doesn't concern you at all? You guys are certifiable if you're expecting greatness from Easley. I wish him all the best but I'll be pissed if the bills don't have a Plan A.

Who said anything about greatness. The point was whether he'd be in football shape.

He was raw coming out of UConn and will need a lot of reps at SJF. But he's also had two years of absorbing the playbook and working with the coaching staff, so he didn't just fall off the tunip truck...

Donald Jones isn't the long-term solution, but there wasn't that much pissing and moaning about the #2 wideout when they were 5-2 last fall. If Easley needs more time to settle in and can contribute even modest snaps by week 4-5, then Chan will find a way to make it work...

yes please lets hang our WR hopes on a kid who has never played an actual NFL down...whose college production was minimal, and has repeated injury and health problems...

dont get me wrong, I like him and hope like hell he can have an impact...but my hopes arent high for him this year...hopefully this WR we just drafted is the real deal, otherwise I have a feeling we will be looking at Stevie and Trash again this season

As a fan, I agree with you. There's no reason for us to believe Easley will be a productive NFL starter. However, OBD may have a different take. And I think that may be BeastMode's point. He's speculating that they've seen enough of Easley in training camp, and after conferring with our trainers and medical staff, that they're confident in his on-field production this year.

I just had sort of a light bulb. Maybe we got another one-dimmensional deep-threat kind of WR with good hands because we got good on the OL. I think maybe the strategy is to take advantage of the time that Fitz might actually have this year. Additionally, it looks like T.J. Graham has some run after catch ability that we could really use. Maybe we plan to use him underneath like a roscoe-type as well.

I agree with the underneath stuff because TJ is supposedly a good run-after-catch guy. But regardless how good the OL may become, I don't have much faith in Fitz's ability to throw deep with consistency. I don't think the deep ball will ever be a big part of the Bills O as long as Fitz is the QB.

The way Fitz spreads the ball around with quick passes I do not see a big problem with the WRs this year... Graham will open the field with just his presents on the field. The kid can flat out fly... Graham was added mostly in the 3rd round because of his speed which defenders have to account for and his great ability to Kick Return and Punt Return... Gailey would not go for him in the 3rd round unless he felt he was a good pickup... I like the looks of the Offense this year and as for the Defense...WOW what a improvement over last year... same with special teams...

Who said anything about greatness. The point was whether he'd be in football shape.

He was raw coming out of UConn and will need a lot of reps at SJF. But he's also had two years of absorbing the playbook and working with the coaching staff, so he didn't just fall off the tunip truck...

Donald Jones isn't the long-term solution, but there wasn't that much pissing and moaning about the #2 wideout when they were 5-2 last fall. If Easley needs more time to settle in and can contribute even modest snaps by week 4-5, then Chan will find a way to make it work...

I definitely saw the lack of a good #2 as an issue even during the strong start (and we easily forget just how close many of those early wins were). It wasn't a sustainable situation; lo and behold, when injuries struck, they were shot.

I'll be much more comfortable with Easley as a #5 to start the season, who may come in and contribute as the games roll on and an inevitable injury occurs. Forget greatness. Asking Easley to be a starter right now is basically equivalent to what we were doing with Merriman last year - minus the past record of All Pro play. It'd be nice if it happens, but relying on that scenario is just plain stupid.

I actually think Derek Hagan is a forgotten man here and might be more ready to step in with quality #2 play, given the opportunity. I hope for the best for Easley - it'd mean great things for the Bills. I just think a lot of people are unjustifiably pinning their hopes on the guy.

I definitely saw the lack of a good #2 as an issue even during the strong start (and we easily forget just how close many of those early wins were). It wasn't a sustainable situation; lo and behold, when injuries struck, they were shot.

I'll be much more comfortable with Easley as a #5 to start the season, who may come in and contribute as the games roll on and an inevitable injury occurs. Forget greatness. Asking Easley to be a starter right now is basically equivalent to what we were doing with Merriman last year - minus the past record of All Pro play. It'd be nice if it happens, but relying on that scenario is just plain stupid.

I actually think Derek Hagan is a forgotten man here and might be more ready to step in with quality #2 play, given the opportunity. I hope for the best for Easley - it'd mean great things for the Bills. I just think a lot of people are unjustifiably pinning their hopes on the guy.

I don't think that asking Easley to be the starter this year is asking too much at all. The starter at #2 doesn't need to be a star. He doesn't need to catch 50 balls the entire season. He has to be a threat and to make a play once in awhile. He has to be just a tad better than what Donald Jones did last year before he got hurt, and I would bet anything that Easley can do that despite his lack of playing time. He was going to beat out Jones for the #2 job last year before the unlucky ailment showed up. A threat at #2 allowed Nelson and Chandler to abuse the middle of the field where defenses didn't know who to key on.

You don't have to pin your hopes on him to be a star, or even very good. You only have to pin your hopes on him to get down the field and to catch 3 passes a game for 45 yards and catch a deep pass once in a while. Then Fitz can choose his weapon of choice pre-snap between five viable targets. We have four and need a fifth, especially because if we don't have a fifth, our #3 and #4, Nelson and Chandler, suddenly become our #2 and #3 and they cannot carry the load. That was our second biggest problem last year behind the OL injuries.

Those games were close because our defense was so pourous. I suspect it'll be stouter this year, giving Chan more flexibility to run a balanced attack.

While he's certainly a less than ideal option, Jones can be the #2 with Easley spelling him based on his development and Graham as the change-up flier. It's still a weakspot, but they can't plug every hole (nor can any team).

I don't think that asking Easley to be the starter this year is asking too much at all. The starter at #2 doesn't need to be a star. He doesn't need to catch 50 balls the entire season. He has to be a threat and to make a play once in awhile. He has to be just a tad better than what Donald Jones did last year before he got hurt, and I would bet anything that Easley can do that despite his lack of playing time. He was going to beat out Jones for the #2 job last year before the unlucky ailment showed up. A threat at #2 allowed Nelson and Chandler to abuse the middle of the field where defenses didn't know who to key on.

You don't have to pin your hopes on him to be a star, or even very good. You only have to pin your hopes on him to get down the field and to catch 3 passes a game for 45 yards and catch a deep pass once in a while. Then Fitz can choose his weapon of choice pre-snap between five viable targets. We have four and need a fifth, especially because if we don't have a fifth, our #3 and #4, Nelson and Chandler, suddenly become our #2 and #3 and they cannot carry the load. That was our second biggest problem last year behind the OL injuries.

You can argue that part of the fast early start was due to Donal Jones' perceived threat. When that evaporated, defenses started to cheat up more. Easley would need to do a bit more than what Jones did. I don't want to see those 19 yard passes on 3rd & 1 fall over the WRs head.

Easley has better size and speed than Jones. And Jones himself was injured in the 5th game of the season and came back too early from a high ankle sprain, which eventually knocked him out for the season. But by the time he came back (after the Redskins game, which was the turning point of the season), there were other issues on the team.

So, two years of precious little practice, and zero regular season experience running routes or absorbing contact doesn't concern you at all? You guys are certifiable if you're expecting greatness from Easley. I wish him all the best but I'll be pissed if the bills don't have a Plan A.

You do realize that about 80 percent of the snap and training the non starters get is in the preseason rigth. Once the season starts other than the bye week, the time during the week is spent getting the playbook installed for that weeks game. Most of the actual traiing for developing players actually happens in training camp.

While understand you point that until he makes it through a full season, you dont want to depend on him completely, to dismiss him because of 1 injury and a condition that he has been medically cleared from isnt something I would do either. Personally feel like he is favorite to win the position, but they have a few castoffs from other teams that were fairly high picks besides drafting a WR they have confidence in as well, so dont think they are without options.

Main concern to me, is how long will it take for the O-Line to gel with the new faces. If the line give Fitz time, the recievers will be allowed to run deeper and have more time to run larger portion of passing tree, which should make them all look better.

Edited by rstencel

You can argue that part of the fast early start was due to Donal Jones' perceived threat. When that evaporated, defenses started to cheat up more. Easley would need to do a bit more than what Jones did. I don't want to see those 19 yard passes on 3rd & 1 fall over the WRs head.

Which is why I said he just has to be a tad better than Donald Jones was early last year. ;) To me there is a very good chance he can be. He's bigger, faster, more highly regarded, and his teammates were raving about him (as they were Jones). He did look good in pre-season to me last year, very good in fact, despite a couple drops. He was getting open, he showed great speed, he looked fluid, he made a couple plays. I am not "counting" on him, but I would not be surprised if he were the surprise player on the Bills offense this year (even if he doesn't have huge stats).

You can argue that part of the fast early start was due to Donal Jones' perceived threat. When that evaporated, defenses started to cheat up more.

Yep.

Jones had 16 grabs for 174 yards (10.9 avg) through the first five games before his injury.

That translates to 51 catches for 557 yards over a 16-game season--about what you want out of your #2 guy.

After he went out in week six (ommitting a brief 2-game return when he was still playing hurt), they had no perceived deep threat and it was easy to gameplan against them.

A combination of Jones-Easley-Graham can probably improve on that production...

FWIW, and I do not always believe what Nix says about "BPA", but this morning Nix on GR all but flat out said that if Glenn was not available at 41 the Bills would have taken Stephen Hill or Brian Quick at #2. Not a surprise, unless you think they would have taken Jonathan Martin instead.

And in the same interview, Nix says Easley is going to get the opportunity, he was completely healthy before the season was over last year, he looks like Tarzan now and has been around everyday getting ready for the season.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I respect your judgment, but I actually think that our hopes are more contingent on the emergence of T.J. Graham than of Easley. Again, I also think Hagan is in the mix. If the Bills are going to become harder to defend, they need to have a different threat in the mix. If Easley is only marginally better than Jones - factoring in drops and health - and Graham is facing the usual rookie learning curve, they are going to have to lean heavy on Chandler and Nelson again to open things up for Stevie. It's one reason we have high hopes for commitment to a running game.

I respect your judgment, but I actually think that our hopes are more contingent on the emergence of T.J. Graham than of Easley. Again, I also think Hagan is in the mix. If the Bills are going to become harder to defend, they need to have a different threat in the mix. If Easley is only marginally better than Jones - factoring in drops and health - and Graham is facing the usual rookie learning curve, they are going to have to lean heavy on Chandler and Nelson again to open things up for Stevie. It's one reason we have high hopes for commitment to a running game.

Fair enough. I respect your judgment, too. I would just like to know why you do not think that production a tad better than Jones last year (the Jones before he got hurt for the first time, like the first 5-6 games) isn't going to be enough for our #2? We were dynamic up until that point and had one of the very best offenses in the league in yards, efficiency and scoring. And we should have a better OL this year, as well as a better CJ and Brad Smith and now Graham.

Yep.

Jones had 16 grabs for 174 yards (10.9 avg) through the first five games before his injury.

That translates to 51 catches for 557 yards over a 16-game season--about what you want out of your #2 guy.

After he went out in week six (ommitting a brief 2-game return when he was still playing hurt), they had no perceived deep threat and it was easy to gameplan against them.

A combination of Jones-Easley-Graham can probably improve on that production...

Jones was already marginalized by the Cincy game. Derek Hagan showed more downfield ability, but the offense was shot by then. Jones' role in the offense was to stretch the field. He was not effective in that role.