Feds seek ban on cell use while driving

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/27/usa-driving-idUSL2E8FQOK820120427

I have a couple of questions concerning this.

Will we need a National Auto Insurance program like Obamacare to cover damages by uninsured drivers that causes an accident while texting/calling while driving?

The Supreme Court is hearing arguments over Arizona's Immigration law. The Feds say it's not up to Arizona to enforce Federal law.

So who enforces the cell phone law?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LaHood said, however, he was not as concerned about people who eat, apply makeup, or perform other distracting activities in cars because "not everyone does that."

Of course not everyone does that, just as not everyone texts while driving. I'll tell you what though, I pay very close attention at stop lights during my commute to what other drivers are doing and the applying of make up, reading the newspaper, and eating bowls of cereal drivers are not at all uncommon. People are friggin morons. I've had to ask friends to pull over and let me out of the car before because they refused to stop messing around with their smartphones while behind the wheel. Still, I don't really see any way to effectively police this.

Dirty little secret is that something like 10% of all accidents where distracted driving turns out to be the determined cause are from cell phone use. Yet, Mr LaHood can do no better than "not everyyone does that"

This dumbass law passes and the first thing Im gonna do is get behind dthe wheel, drive about 110 on the Interstate, call Ray LaHoods office, read him Article X of the Constitution, and tell him to go !@#$ himself.

Edited by RkFast

I was just having this very same conversation with my mom this week. While it would be without question a great thing, enforcing this law would be damn near impossible. Besides, don't many states like NY have this law already?

There are some things the governement should have a say in, and some things they shouldn't; this being a nation wide problem I am for them having their say. A cell phone is a distraction while driving; talking on one is bad enough let alone how dangerous texting is. What is so important in your life that you can't stop along the side of the road or in a parking lot for a few minutes to carry on a conversation; while putting others lives at risk? This is a nationwide matter that the government should have a say in because it should be the same from state to state. Now I know there will be rebuttles about things such as healthcare and things of that nature. Of course, as all do, and I respect others opinions, I have my own thoughts on that type stuff as well.

There are some things the governement should have a say in, and some things they shouldn't; this being a nation wide problem I am for them having their say. A cell phone is a distraction while driving; talking on one is bad enough let alone how dangerous texting is. What is so important in your life that you can't stop along the side of the road or in a parking lot for a few minutes to carry on a conversation; while putting others lives at risk? This is a nationwide matter that the government should have a say in because it should be the same from state to state. Now I know there will be rebuttles about things such as healthcare and things of that nature. Of course, as all do, and I respect others opinions, I have my own thoughts on that type stuff as well.

Translation: I slept through American History classes. All of them.

While I respect your opinion, I don't think that you are correct.

Just identfying something as a "nationwide" problem certainly does not come anywhere the threshold needed for Federal intervention.

There are already multiple laws addressing it in many states and that is where it should be kept. If your state does not have any law and you think they should, then you should petition them.

This is a trap that a vast number of Americans have fallen into, there is a problem identified, and then we expect the politicians in DC to fix it. Well, that needs to change, before they "help us" into oblivion.

Edited by B-Man

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/27/usa-driving-idUSL2E8FQOK820120427

I have a couple of questions concerning this.

Will we need a National Auto Insurance program like Obamacare to cover damages by uninsured drivers that causes an accident while texting/calling while driving?

The Supreme Court is hearing arguments over Arizona's Immigration law. The Feds say it's not up to Arizona to enforce Federal law.

So who enforces the cell phone law?

Quite the loaded issue the way you put it here. As far as the national ban on cell phone use while driving I don't see why it should a problem. This is something that is extremely dangerous and some states, such as my own(Arizona) have failed to address this. As far as I know we don't have a ban on cell phone use here, and if we do is sure as hell isn't enforced considering that I see cops tooling around town talking on their cell phones. However it would have to be up to state and local law enforcement to police this.

Now how can we do this if the Obama administration feels that local police and state law enforcement shouldn't be enforcing federal law? They're digging themselves quite the hole here. I personally feel that the Obama administration's lawsuit regarding the SB1070 is just plain stupid. It's hard for a person who isn't from this area to understand how hard it is to deal with illegals running around all over the place. Driving uninsured, working jobs under the table for less pay than minimum, leaching off the system... However the state law doesn't repeal or go farther than the federal law so i don't know how the administration can fight it.

I believe we do have a federal boarder patrol though.

Translation: I slept through American History classes. All of them.

Such anger. Have you seen anyone about this yet?

There has been talk in the car business about putting a device in cars to disable phones and texing.

Ive also read that the pressure is coming from the Fed's.

Yes, there is a device that will prevent the driver from being able to use a cell phone but not anyone else in the car. I don't know how it works but I've done some advisory work for them as a start-up company.

While I respect your opinion, I do think that you are correct.

Just identfying something as a "nationwide" problem certainly does not come anywhere the threshold needed for Federal intervention.

There are already multiple laws addressing it in many states and that is where it should be kept. If your state does not have any law and you think they should, then you should petition them.

This is a trap that a vast number of Americans have fallen into, there is a problem identified, and then we expect the politicians in DC to fix it. Well, that needs to change, before they "help us" into oblivion.

I would have to agree with SWVA here. This is something that is dangerous to not only the driver of the car, but to others as well. People are dying as a result of some states failure to act and if the states are not going to act on it it's time for the federal government to get involved.

Now don't get me wrong. I know that this is a loaded issue and I respect your opinion much more than many others on this board, but I think you are the one that is wrong on this issue.

Quite the loaded issue the way you put it here. As far as the national ban on cell phone use while driving I don't see why it should a problem. This is something that is extremely dangerous and some states, such as my own(Arizona) have failed to address this.

No, its NOT dangerous. Only to rubes and idiots who dont know how to properly do it and/or dont have the proper equipment.

Just becuase youre too stupid or too broke to get a car with a proper integrated handsfree device, I should'nt have to suffer.

No, its NOT dangerous. Only to rubes and idiots who dont know how to properly do it and/or dont have the proper equipment.

Just becuase youre too stupid or too broke to get a car with a proper integrated handsfree device, I should'nt have to suffer.

That's it.... Let it all out. Do you feel better now?

Good point. If you have a hands free device and can look around freely in your mirrors and to sides and such you should be ok. It is the phone in the hand that is the problem. If anything set it down and make yourself more aware of your surroundings. Listening to the radio and singing is the same as the hands free device, so I support you here.

Wrong. I'm a very good driver and always aware if my surroundings. However I KNOW I'm distracted when I'm on my phone. When you're talking on your phone you are focused on the person on the other end not the road. It's just the way the brain works.

Having said that a federal law is not the way to go.

Good point. If you have a hands free device and can look around freely in your mirrors and to sides and such you should be ok. It is the phone in the hand that is the problem. If anything set it down and make yourself more aware of your surroundings. Listening to the radio and singing is the same as the hands free device, so I support you here.

You're wrong too. I can drive with one finger but I'm distracted when on a hand free device.