How does a dealership not have a car in stock...?

Fezmid

Congrats on the degree and consider yourself lucky. My only response to this thread is to ask you one question. You seriously want to buy a Dodge product? You really need to re-think that. Eeeeesh.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the degree and consider yourself lucky. My only response to this thread is to ask you one question. You seriously want to buy a Dodge product? You really need to re-think that. Eeeeesh.

Trust me, I've been debating that as well. That's why my first step is to simply test drive -- maybe I won't even like it. :)

Fez, you get that as soon as you sign the sales receipt, the car loses ~ half of its value, right?

Besides people who make a ton and have to think of ways to spend it, I have a bit of a hard time understanding why anyone buys a brand new car. Maybe it's just me....

Half? BS.

I just bought an A4 2012 MSRP 39,500 CAD and a 2009 goes for about 31K.

That being said dealerships offer great financing rates compared to the rate you'll pay on a car loan from a bank.

Half? BS.

I just bought an A4 2012 MSRP 39,500 CAD and a 2009 goes for about 31K.

That being said dealerships offer great financing rates compared to the rate you'll pay on a car loan from a bank.

I know dealership deals are great right now. My credit sucks so I was trying to buy a used truck for my son, the most I could afford was around $17K because the interest rates were around 19%.

I ended up getting a brand new Toyota Tundra, 0% interest and the payment was exactly the same as a 6 year old used truck. It was a no brainer decision.

Trust me, I've been debating that as well. That's why my first step is to simply test drive -- maybe I won't even like it. :)

Two things.

First, I got a 2011 Charger just about a year ago when they were first coming out and finding one with the features I wanted was painful because there were so few in stock. I was able to test drive one at a dealer about a month before I was ready to lease and was absolutely not expecting to like it as I'd been a BMW guy for a while (but realized I don't drive enough to justify such a ridiculous cost). It was also the first time I'd ever driven a car with such a powerful engine. By the time I was done messing with the toys like GPS (Garmin), Bluetooth, iPod, remote startup, backup camera, etc. I was completely sold. I kept searching online for the one I was looking for, found it at a nearby dealer, called their internet guy and got the price I wanted with hardly any effort.

It's been a year and I have not had a single issue. I've taken it on long hauls (3-4 hours) to Vegas and Havasu and in spite of the hefty motor, I still get almost 27/mph because it drops down to four-cylinder when you're on the open road. And anyone who gets in it can't help but comment on the quality of the ride and interior.

Now, I'm one guy with a Charger and for all I know the next 100 sucked, but I will absolutely plan on getting a new one when the lease is up in two years.

Two things.

First, I got a 2011 Charger just about a year ago when they were first coming out and finding one with the features I wanted was painful because there were so few in stock. I was able to test drive one at a dealer about a month before I was ready to lease and was absolutely not expecting to like it as I'd been a BMW guy for a while (but realized I don't drive enough to justify such a ridiculous cost). It was also the first time I'd ever driven a car with such a powerful engine. By the time I was done messing with the toys like GPS (Garmin), Bluetooth, iPod, remote startup, backup camera, etc. I was completely sold. I kept searching online for the one I was looking for, found it at a nearby dealer, called their internet guy and got the price I wanted with hardly any effort.

It's been a year and I have not had a single issue. I've taken it on long hauls (3-4 hours) to Vegas and Havasu and in spite of the hefty motor, I still get almost 27/mph because it drops down to four-cylinder when you're on the open road. And anyone who gets in it can't help but comment on the quality of the ride and interior.

Now, I'm one guy with a Charger and for all I know the next 100 sucked, but I will absolutely plan on getting a new one when the lease is up in two years.

Thanks for the comment! I was first turned onto the Charger because a friend of mine has a 2006 (first or second year they were re-introduced). His is bare-bones, no frills, but it was VERY comfortable inside - including the backseat -- and was a smooth ride. My friend loves his, except that it's RWD and it sucks on bad winter days (you don't have to worry about that ;) ). So when I started thinking about a new car a few months ago, I looked into it and saw that you could not only get AWD, but also all sorts of toys like you noted. For the price point, it seems pretty good. Just have to test drive now. :)

BTW, I did talk to my mechanic about Chargers as well. He said they're fun cars, but do start to have some problems at about 40k miles. Something about a tension rod, at least in older models, but who knows about the 2011/12.

PS: Still love my Stewart Filmscreen. :)

Congrats on getting done with school and your graduate degree.

If not the Charger, what other cars are you considering ?

Lastly, tonight I see TSO and the Beethoven's Last Night concert.

So I just finished graduate school today (YAY!), and I decided I wanted to test drive a 2012 Dodge Charger because I'm in the market for a new vehicle. So I drive to the local dealership, ask to test drive the car... And I'm told that they sold their only Charger a couple of days ago! :blink: He checks on when they're getting more in, and it appears it'll be weeks. :blink: :blink: It's not like this dealership was tiny -- there were a lot of OTHER cars on the lot (including a few Challengers). And it's not like Dodge isn't heavily advertising the Charger on TV - I've seen several commercials for them over the past few days.

How can you be a dealership and not stock at least one or two of every model the company sells?? :doh:

Has it ever occured to you that the dealer did not want to sell to you because they don't want nerds like you to be seen driving their "cool" cars?

:D

Well, the dealership told me that if I find the car somewhere else that I should come back to buy from them so that they could do the swap like you mentioned. I was trying to figure out why I would do all of the legwork to give them the sale though....

You shouldn't. Let the dealership get the car before hand so you can test drive it.

They want a some down payment to show your true interest. Tell em I am willing to put a some down payment(100 bucks or so)if you can get the car I want.

If they don't do that then they lose the sale. simple

Congrats on getting done with school and your graduate degree.

If not the Charger, what other cars are you considering ?

Lastly, tonight I see TSO and the Beethoven's Last Night concert.

I have a '99 Camry now and it runs great - so I'd definitely consider another one. Was looking at Infiniti, but they're a bit more than I wanted to spend (even $35k is pushing it). Right now, those are probably the only two -- do I go with boring but ultra-reliable or sporty with cool features but not as a reliable?

Or do I skip the whole car thing and keep driving my 13 year old car? :lol:

Have fun at the concert! They skipped over Minneapolis this year. :(

Has it ever occured to you that the dealer did not want to sell to you because they don't want nerds like you to be seen driving their "cool" cars?:D

D'oh! :lol:

Well, not too sure of that. Alzheimer's and dementia can take it away but, that would be negative thinking

That's me taking it away from myself. :P

i've always been told by car people to avoid the first year of a brand new model. that said, my last 2 cars, an inifinit g35 coupe and an audi tt were both first model years and they were both great cars, although the tt was a bit buggy in the electronics. when shopping for these cars, i found the same thing as you are now finding: nobody had them! there was a sold tt at the dealership that i test drove and then ordered mine. i drove a g35 sedan before ordering the coupe. interestingly, i went to a nissan dealer to drive a 350z (which was out earlier than the similar g35) and the dealer wanted a deposit before i test drove it. i told him to *($% himself and emailed nissan with no known results except that i felt better. the infiniti dealer, on the other hand, couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating, driving my car the 100 miles from his dealership to my office after it arrived. anyway, if i were you, i'd probably wait til the next model year when there should be more selection, a longer track record and possibly a better deal.

So I just finished graduate school today (YAY!), and I decided I wanted to test drive a 2012 Dodge Charger because I'm in the market for a new vehicle. So I drive to the local dealership, ask to test drive the car... And I'm told that they sold their only Charger a couple of days ago! :blink: He checks on when they're getting more in, and it appears it'll be weeks. :blink: :blink: It's not like this dealership was tiny -- there were a lot of OTHER cars on the lot (including a few Challengers). And it's not like Dodge isn't heavily advertising the Charger on TV - I've seen several commercials for them over the past few days.

How can you be a dealership and not stock at least one or two of every model the company sells?? :doh:

You dodged a bullet. You don't want a Charger.

My father-in-law owns a dealership and well... buy with your HEAD, not with your eyes.

I was first turned onto the Charger because a friend of mine has a 2006 (first or second year they were re-introduced). His is bare-bones, no frills, but it was VERY comfortable inside - including the backseat -- and was a smooth ride.

not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have a '99 Camry now and it runs great - so I'd definitely consider another one. Was looking at Infiniti, but they're a bit more than I wanted to spend (even $35k is pushing it). Right now, those are probably the only two -- do I go with boring but ultra-reliable or sporty with cool features but not as a reliable?

Or do I skip the whole car thing and keep driving my 13 year old car? :lol:

Infiniti is the "upgraded" Nissan. You shouldnt have ANY problems with reliability. And if you want to save some money, I suggest looking into the Nissan equivalent of the Infiniti you're looking at. Very good cars all around.

not that there's anything wrong with that.

Beat me to it!! :thumbsup:

Only RWD - can't do that in MN. :(

ok....one more try. subie wrx. test drove one recently. blazing fast and turns on rails. a bit boy racerish for a newly minted advanced degreed scholar but loads of fun and better than average reliability. tried to get my wife to buy it but the 2 tone racing seats killed the deal.

You dodged a bullet. You don't want a Charger.

My father-in-law owns a dealership and well... buy with your HEAD, not with your eyes.

Why? Everyone I know who has one seems to like it... I know it's a Dodge and all and they don't have the best reputation going back throughout the years, but like I said - everyone who has one seems to love 'em.... /sigh