During replay reviews…

dont see how that makes any difference to the quality of the calls

and lets be honest, you might as well just roll a freakin dice the way it is now. they certainly dont get the call right nearly as much as they should. still cant figure out how the hell stevie johnson didnt have a first down in cincy. i meain its. right. there. on. the. screen. and yet the ref calmly walks up and says ruling on the field stands. for that kind of efficiency i can roll a damn dice

every single week of the season there is at least one blown replay call somewhere. and i dont mean homerism calls, i mean clear as day evidence right in front of you and yet somehow they still get it wrong. i just dont get how they cant eliminate the overwhelming majority of those want-to-pull-your-hair-out errors

its so absurdly obvious they need to move all the replay calls upstairs. idk wtf they are waiting for

This sounds like a horrible decision to me. This opens up the refs to a whole additional level of scrutiny over how much time the spend, what shots are reviewed and how many times etc..

For the first time, fans attending the game will see the same video feed that the referee is studying. The video, if used during the review, cannot be replayed in the stadium after the decision is announced

So fans attending the game will see the feed. Does that mean the feed is not shared with the networks? Are we going to spend all season with the TV cameras pointed at the in-stadium screens with the TV announcers providing real-time color?

The refs are going to get a whole new level of criticism this year. I predict this will change next year after the reaction.

Why on Earth would they do this? I guess they think more transparency will help the sense of fairness. With the home crowd reacting real-time, I don't see how it would.

1335009527[/url]' post='2442257']

dont see how that makes any difference to the quality of the calls

and lets be honest, you might as well just roll a freakin dice the way it is now. they certainly dont get the call right nearly as much as they should. still cant figure out how the hell stevie johnson didnt have a first down in cincy. i meain its. right. there. on. the. screen. and yet the ref calmly walks up and says ruling on the field stands. for that kind of efficiency i can roll a damn dice

every single week of the season there is at least one blown replay call somewhere. and i dont mean homerism calls, i mean clear as day evidence right in front of you and yet somehow they still get it wrong. i just dont get how they cant eliminate the overwhelming majority of those want-to-pull-your-hair-out errors

its so absurdly obvious they need to move all the replay calls upstairs. idk wtf they are waiting for

This.

The Stevie play and then giving dalton the first on the 2 running plays blew my mind. They didn't even measure one of them, they just said "FIRST DOWN"

Horrible decision. So the refs get to hear the home crowd booing or cheering based upon the call they want to see made? This has disaster written all over it. Aren't the refs supposed to be making their decisions without outside influence?

Is it true they have to watch it in real time? AKA they cant slow it down and zoom in like you can see on TV. I think thats BS and kinda takes the point out of replay.

I actually hate the replay system. They stop the game, wait 5 mins, just to still get the call wrong. Like that missed PAT that was called good in that Cuse game allast year. I mean really? He blatently missed it, it was called wrong on the field, they reviewed it, and still got it wrong..... I can live with the Refs being human, I cannot stand when they take mins to make a wrong call after having all of the evidence right there in front of them. After crap like that, I cant help but think they are throwing the game.

Do away with IR. Put the game back in the hands of the refs where it belongs. Its a human game, not one played by robots. IR takes the human element out of the game, slows the pace and opens every-single-play up to scrutiny. Ill take the occasional missed call, which nine times out of nine and a half equal out and both teams benefit from, for a faster, better flowing game NOT open to second guessing all the time.

I know Im in the minority here, but you can keep your "I dunno Dan...by the replay you can tell half a millimeter of his shoelace is out of bounds" nonsense.

Do away with IR. Put the game back in the hands of the refs where it belongs. Its a human game, not one played by robots. IR takes the human element out of the game, slows the pace and opens every-single-play up to scrutiny. Ill take the occasional missed call, which nine times out of nine and a half equal out and both teams benefit from, for a faster, better flowing game NOT open to second guessing all the time.

I know Im in the minority here, but you can keep your "I dunno Dan...by the replay you can tell half a millimeter of his shoelace is out of bounds" nonsense.

this.

this times a million.

me and you brother - we are fighting an uphill battle against the rest of the country.

i got some friends in ireland, they missed the world cup cause of a blown call in 09

that would be the equivalent of brady throwing to a 12th man on the field to win the afc championship against us and the refs not having instant replay.

but man, theres a human element to the game, thats what makes it a GAME and not a microsoft excel spreadsheet.

after coming back this season to stun the raiders and win one of the most exciting bills games i can remember in the last 10 years, im at a bar celebrating, and the announcers say, 10 minutes later, well, buffalo has officially won, the replay is over.

the outcome of the game was in limbo as the players were in the lockerrooms showering?

its like, the point of instant replay is to make the refs LESS of a part of the game. almost legislate them out, and have their work done by impartial machines.

but yet. having instant replay makes their role important on EVERY SINGLE PLAY, which makes them MORE of a factor in the game. now, calls that you never would have questioned, that you never would have had the thought of questioning, are AUTOMATICALLY reviewed. its overkill. its ridiculous. its like, your team makes an amazing play and your first thought is:

"will it stand up to review." i mean think about that. we watch sports to see the amazing. we see the amazing, and then, we wait for 5 minutes to make sure some video can confirm that we just saw the amazing.

why do all this? for some extra commercial time? soon were going to justify the bills staying in buffalo, by having a standing buffalo on one side of our helmet, and a godaddy.com logo on the other. the game is dying.

Edited by JohnnyGold

Horrible decision. So the refs get to hear the home crowd booing or cheering based upon the call they want to see made? This has disaster written all over it. Aren't the refs supposed to be making their decisions without outside influence?

Because the home opinion was otherwise a mystery, not to be shared with the refs.

Because the home opinion was otherwise a mystery, not to be shared with the refs.

Of course not, but at least during the process the fans weren't watching replays over and over again, followed by the "oohs" and "aahs" that go along with their preferences.

I agree it generally adds to the "these are the worst refs ever" sentiment which I don't like. People see 14 hi def frame by frame replays from crazy angles, zoomed in to see each blade of grass and suddenly the ref that made the call from the backside of the play, with a player crossing his view is a failure for making a call in real time without the benefit of knowing what to key on (who is the pass going to, will the ball bobble, will the hit be dirty) and suddenly when angle 13 shows a tiny blade of grass between the toe and sideline the ref is incompetent --- with the added camera (huge tv dollars) and instant forums to complain (hey guys!)that probably won't change.... But I'm ok with the "it all comes out in the wash" approach on most if not all calls.

Edited by NoSaint

Of course not, but at least during the process the fans weren't watching replays over and over again, followed by the "oohs" and "aahs" that go along with their preferences.

If it truly effects any ref, that ref doesn't belong On Friday night yet alone Sunday. That said, I'm sure it will really class up the situation having drunk fans get that access

For the first time, fans attending the game will see the same video feed that the referee is studying. The video, if used during the review, cannot be replayed in the stadium after the decision is announced

So if this is the case, why does the ref need to go over to the awkward little replay tent thingie? If the same feed is being played to the home crowd, why wouldn't the ref look up at the big screen with everyone else?