stevie johnson

b-unit

As I said before, if you look at his STATS from the two years he has played, his STATS are in the top ten in the league. There are not ten WRs in the entire league whose STATS are better than Steve Johnson.

Of course, stats do not tell the whole story.

If thats how you want to put it, which IMO is worse for many fans arguement, his STATS tell the story of a posession WR that will get you 70-80 catches and 1000 yards...thats averaging them over 2 years (not 4 or we would be in big trouble)...bring in the new #1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not say Stevie has "owned" Revis island due to the fact the Bills lost both of those games. Any stats he put up against Revis really mean sqat if the Bills don't win the game in the end.

Bluntly, you've disqualified yourself in this conversation with that ridiculous statement.

According to you, if the team loses, no player could have played a good game, huh?

It's hard to describe how absurd that is.

...The Chiefs lost the game Derrick Thomas when posted 7 sacks, btw. Another guy who had a bad game according to you, apparently (while setting an NFL record).

If thats how you want to put it, which IMO is worse for many fans arguement, his STATS tell the story of a posession WR that will get you 70-80 catches and 1000 yards...thats averaging them over 2 years (not 4 or we would be in big trouble)...bring in the new #1

I don't think he is a top tier #1 either. I think he is middle of the pack. But if you look at his actual production, 70-80 catches and 1000 yards and 8-9 TDs a season is upper tier for a WR. Each year there are 10 guys who do that, but less than that do it consistently, and it's still a very good year for a #1 WR. It's just not elite.

Bluntly, you've disqualified yourself in this conversation with that ridiculous statement.

According to you, if the team loses, no player could have played a good game, huh?

It's hard to describe how absurd that is.

...The Chiefs lost the game Derrick Thomas when posted 7 sacks, btw. Another guy who had a bad game according to you, apparently (while setting an NFL record).

Sorry Bob...you may want to sit this one out. 7 Sacks in a game is FAR DIFFERENT than 8 Receptions for 75 yards or 3 receptions for 85 yards....I dont think Canton was calling for Stevies gloves after either game...WOW...

I don't think he is a top tier #1 either. I think he is middle of the pack. But if you look at his actual production, 70-80 catches and 1000 yards and 8-9 TDs a season is upper tier for a WR. Each year there are 10 guys who do that, but less than that do it consistently, and it's still a very good year for a #1 WR. It's just not elite.

Kelly, almost there...each year 15-20 do that and Steve is near the 20 vs. the 15....and correct...definitely not elite. Even at 20 it is the upper tier but not where the position could not be upgraded. Atlanta had Roddy White who is far and above better than Stevie and they traded for another #1 that is also far and above better than Stevie...if Floyd, Blackmon or anyone else the Bills draft could come close to what Jones put up for Atlanta last year that person if instantly thrust on to what Stevie has produced

Sorry Bob...you may want to sit this one out. 7 Sacks in a game is FAR DIFFERENT than 8 Receptions for 75 yards or 3 receptions for 85 yards....I dont think Canton was calling for Stevies gloves after either game...WOW...

Actually you are the one with the dunce cap on in this conversation.....begging for anyone to agree with your idiotic take. Its funny because other then loser Kelly is the one that is closest to agreeing with you and you cant see it.

I am embarrised you are are a fan of our team

Actually you are the one with the dunce cap on in this conversation.....begging for anyone to agree with your idiotic take. Its funny because other then loser Kelly is the one that is closest to agreeing with you and you cant see it.

I am embarrised you are are a fan of our team

I know where Kelly is at there John and trust me, he is not the only one. Go back and read the posts. Please give me STATS as you kept saying last night and let me know where the fault lies?

It was another poster who was asking you for the stats but thats ok you were pretty ridiculous trying to say I was comparing Stevie Johnson to Jerry Rice

At least keep the stories straight if you can

Just as it was another poster that said Stevied OWNED Revis Island. The point that I made is do 3 Receptions for 85 yard or 8 for 75 really mean anything to you at the end of the day if the Bills lose? You go home from the game or turn the TV off "Happy" because Stevie "owned" (per the posters) Revis Island but the Bills lost?

Derrick Thomas's 7 sacks are a record, but you as a KC fan would rather see that record vs. a Chiefs win? Maybe you guys all would since the Bills have not won many games in 11 years...personally I could give a crap less. I dont care if we have the #1 offense or the #32 offense as long as they are winning games. You are "ashamed" of me being a fan? Why because I want to WIN? Isnt this what it is all about? Think about it and think about where your standards are these days...Why do you continue to defend what the Bills have put on the field the past 11 years?

And, as for Jerry Rice...sorry if that was not you, but that is EXACTLY what he did when he brought Rice into that conversation

Only knock on Johnson I have is his drops. Wide open or clutch. Both he and Fitz seem to go breasts up with the game on the line or pressure.

I would say that is a pretty big knock...along with the dumb penalties...

way to own up to your mistake misidentifying me......but I expected nothing less

- You miss the entire point.....which also is not suprising in the least. The fact that Stevie has a good game against Revis but the team lost has NOTHING to do with Stevie....its a team game. We didn't lose the game because of Stevie Johnson. If the OTHER members of the team played the same way Stevie does on that day we win that game.....this is what is so baffling about you to me.....you equate Stevies production to the final outcomes of games......you do realize that there are SEVERAL good recievers on other teams that play their ass off and their team still loses......it doesnt make that player any worse of a player because of the loss.

- You take one thing and you equate it to another which you should not do.......the KC situation has absolutely nothing to do with our situation at all.

- Lee Evans was once the number 1 of this team and Stevie Johnson was the number 2....Lee got traded....Stevie became the number 1....and his production remained the same even though he now takes either the double team or the best coverage corner....THAT is what makes him a true number 1. Is he a elite number 1 NO AND NOBODY YESTERDAY WAS SAYING THAT. The reference to Jerry Rice was when talking about height, speed, physical body traits......Jerry was not a fast receiver....Stevie is not a fast receiver.....they both do what they do off precise route running and run after catch.....THAT IS AS FAR AS THAT COMPARISON WENT. But you chose to do this all or nothing thing while making your arguement that just made it so people really couldnt take you seriously at all.

- Stevie Johnson is the best receiver we have had since Eric Moulds....he is a true number 1.....he is not elite......it is unknown just where he ranks in number 1s because he has crap lined up across from him.

- I will stick up for the good players of this team that stay here and are trying to biuld something.....he got embarresed at the end of last season by the coach but manned up and then went further by taking a deal tha allowed us to keep him....he could have gotten a bigger payday because his production the last 2 years beats out just about every free agent WR in this free agent period.

He is one of ours....he is good....we need more of them.....Im not going to listen to some "fan" talking crap about him.

1334466279[/url]' post='2437127']

way to own up to your mistake misidentifying me......but I expected nothing less

- You miss the entire point.....which also is not suprising in the least. The fact that Stevie has a good game against Revis but the team lost has NOTHING to do with Stevie....its a team game. We didn't lose the game because of Stevie Johnson. If the OTHER members of the team played the same way Stevie does on that day we win that game.....this is what is so baffling about you to me.....you equate Stevies production to the final outcomes of games......you do realize that there are SEVERAL good recievers on other teams that play their ass off and their team still loses......it doesnt make that player any worse of a player because of the loss.

- You take one thing and you equate it to another which you should not do.......the KC situation has absolutely nothing to do with our situation at all.

- Lee Evans was once the number 1 of this team and Stevie Johnson was the number 2....Lee got traded....Stevie became the number 1....and his production remained the same even though he now takes either the double team or the best coverage corner....THAT is what makes him a true number 1. Is he a elite number 1 NO AND NOBODY YESTERDAY WAS SAYING THAT. The reference to Jerry Rice was when talking about height, speed, physical body traits......Jerry was not a fast receiver....Stevie is not a fast receiver.....they both do what they do off precise route running and run after catch.....THAT IS AS FAR AS THAT COMPARISON WENT. But you chose to do this all or nothing thing while making your arguement that just made it so people really couldnt take you seriously at all.

- Stevie Johnson is the best receiver we have had since Eric Moulds....he is a true number 1.....he is not elite......it is unknown just where he ranks in number 1s because he has crap lined up across from him.

- I will stick up for the good players of this team that stay here and are trying to biuld something.....he got embarresed at the end of last season by the coach but manned up and then went further by taking a deal tha allowed us to keep him....he could have gotten a bigger payday because his production the last 2 years beats out just about every free agent WR in this free agent period.

He is one of ours....he is good....we need more of them.....Im not going to listen to some "fan" talking crap about him.

I'm on board with this guy.

8 REC for 75 yards (1 TD) in the first game and 3 for 85 yards in the second game (both losses) is how we as Bills fans define OWNING a player? Seem like pretty average days for a WR to me. At least he had 8 REC but that YPC is not impressive at all. OWNING a player, to me at least, is throwing up numbers such as 5 REC 125 yards and 2 TD's...that is OWNING a player. Stevie had 2 decent games which he should have as a #1 WR. Just because Revis didnt shut him out does not mean he was OWNED...I am not defending REVIS but more so explaining what I feel a more logical definition of what OWNING a player means

If 85 yards a game was average for a receiver, the yearly yardage for an average receiver would be 1,360. I don't know where people get it in their heads that receivers having less than 100 yards a game is not a good showing.

Again BOSS MAN, It is you missing the point. Will lay it out simply for you:

1. Bringing Jerry Rice's name into the conversation with Stevie (and making comparisions) is doing EXACTLY that. Comparing him to Stevie. Now, I know you did not do so, but you are trying to justify it which means you defend it and are too comparing Stevie to Rice. There are hundreds of WR's that have come through the league that have had Rice's size, speed, etc...They should NEVER (including Stevie) be mentioned in the same conversation as Rice. ESPECIALLY as comparrison.

2. Glad you agree that he is not an Elite #1 and my point again, HE IS REPLACEABLE as a #1. A guy that averages 75 catches and 1000 yards per year is replaceable as a #1. Not saying to remove him from the team, just that there are better.

3. If other players played the way Stevie did (take the good and the bad) as he dropped the game winning pass against the Jets...we miss about 30 more tackles and have 9 more drops. This is not Pee-Wee football...these guys are paid Millions to make the plays. Make them.

4. I did not bring up the KC situation. Please (again) look back. Some other guy said that and I was responding. He seems to feel that Stevies performance was on par with Thomas's in the loss KC suffered. Again, dont compare, and you did not but others do, to players that the Bills have unless you mean it. Throwing players such as Thomas and/or Rice into conversations with current Bills players and SPECIFICALLY comparing them means exactly that...you are comparing that player or achievement with the Bills player.

5. You say that he manned up? How? Because he went to the bench when he was told? Was he not told before the game not to act like an ass? You say that his production "basically" beat out any other FA WR this offseason? Sure, so you think it was a deep bunch of WR Free Agents? You dont think they were slightly overpaid? Stevie got what he was worth PERIOD

If 85 yards a game was average for a receiver, the yearly yardage for an average receiver would be 1,360. I don't know where people get it in their heads that receivers having less than 100 yards a game is not a good showing.

Cool, if he could do that against Revis he should be averaging 130 against far lesser DB's in the league...oh wait, he gained 1000 yards

Edited by Booger

exactly, which would have been good for 6th in the NFL.

i've seen this argument played out 100 times before. "is player X a #1 center in the NHL?" "GOD NO, HE'S NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS CROSBY!!!" it's the same bull **** here. Just because Stevie isn't in the class of Megatron, Fitz, and Andre doesn't mean he's not a #1. It means he's not an elite player, which is something everybody here is okay with saying.

exactly, which would have been good for 6th in the NFL.

i've seen this argument played out 100 times before. "is player X a #1 center in the NHL?" "GOD NO, HE'S NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS CROSBY!!!" it's the same bull **** here. Just because Stevie isn't in the class of Megatron, Fitz, and Andre doesn't mean he's not a #1. It means he's not an elite player, which is something everybody here is okay with saying.

Sure...we will leave it at that. Definitely not elite. 20th best #1 in the league.

Thank you. Exactly. 85 yards a game is elite. There were only 5 WR in the entire league who averaged that or more. In 2010 there were 2. In 2009 there was 1.

And YES. Stevie HAS OWNED Revis Island. Just because they lost those games doesn't mean it was because of Stevie.

Second Jets game this year we lost because of SJ. Between the EZ celebration that made our freshly claimed kicker off of the waiver wire have to kick off from our own 20. (Yes it was a bad kick by the kicker)

Then the one he dropped with under a minute to play. Either he scores on that play that hits him in the hands full stride or gets very close. Had he caught that last one and scored a TD, then yes he would own Revis. But he didn't, so he doesn't.

He doesn't own Revis any more than Jackie Smith owned the Stealers DBs in SB XIII.

How dense are you? Seriously.

- So you are saying that a fan cannot compare the "physical attributes" of another wide receiver when making a comparison when they are making it obvious that they are not in the same league? If it makes you sleep better at night that you stick to that arguement then like I said....embarrised for you because it hurts your creditbility to stick to that......it really does.

- Be sure to drop the bills a note where to find those 75 catch/1000 yard season/10 plus touchdown wideouts and I would like to know as well.....because the fact of the matter is there is a possiblity both Floyd AND Blackmon may never see those marks......nore do a lot of the NFL wide receivers out there right now..........your 100 plus/1000 yard plus recievers are a HANDFUL select few. ALSO you might want to go back and see how those handful of WR's did on Revis Island. It truly is one game......but a comparison worth noting. You are bitching because Johnson is not a elite reciever when the fact is we are damn lucky to have him. Should we keep bringing in good players? Do I hope that Easley makes it back and kicks butt? Do I hope we draft a WR early? You bet......you always try to improve your team.....but why the need to knock Stevie in the process?

- comment 3 is another one of those "all or nothing" comments I was talking about.......always on the negative side. What I mean by my comment is if everyone on this team was making a mistake every now and then but doing whatever the equivalnt of 75 yards/1000 yard season/10 plus touchdowns is for THEIR position then this team would be very good across the board......savvy?

- When I say he manned up he admitted his mistake after the game.....it was talked about in the media....and it DOES NOT MATTER if you think he was paid what he was worth....there were wideouts that were paid more that did not match his production....he and his agent aren't stupid.....and losing him would lose a legit number 1 option wide receiver from the team.....he stayed....he took less.....he deserves that respect.

Second Jets game this year we lost because of SJ. Between the EZ celebration that made our freshly claimed kicker off of the waiver wire have to kick off from our own 20. (Yes it was a bad kick by the kicker)

Then the one he dropped with under a minute to play. Either he scores on that play that hits him in the hands full stride or gets very close. Had he caught that last one and scored a TD, then yes he would own Revis. But he didn't, so he doesn't.

He doesn't own Revis any more than Jackie Smith owned the Stealers DBs in SB XIII.

Red....he certainly didn't help us win that game but a game is not won and lost over one player and one play......it only seems that way. Our defense was crap ALL YEAR......FITZ slumpled badly in the 2nd half of the season.....injuries hurt us badly....etc etc etc

I will say this....Stevie just got a contract that will hopefully make him understand he is a team leader now....and penalties like that cant happen. It was immature and it hurt us at that particular time.

How dense are you? Seriously.

- So you are saying that a fan cannot compare the "physical attributes" of another wide receiver when making a comparison when they are making it obvious that they are not in the same league? If it makes you sleep better at night that you stick to that arguement then like I said....embarrised for you because it hurts your creditbility to stick to that......it really does.

- Be sure to drop the bills a note where to find those 75 catch/1000 yard season/10 plus touchdown wideouts and I would like to know as well.....because the fact of the matter is there is a possiblity both Floyd AND Blackmon may never see those marks......nore do a lot of the NFL wide receivers out there right now..........your 100 plus/1000 yard plus recievers are a HANDFUL select few. ALSO you might want to go back and see how those handful of WR's did on Revis Island. It truly is one game......but a comparison worth noting. You are bitching because Johnson is not a elite reciever when the fact is we are damn lucky to have him. Should we keep bringing in good players? Do I hope that Easley makes it back and kicks butt? Do I hope we draft a WR early? You bet......you always try to improve your team.....but why the need to knock Stevie in the process?

- comment 3 is another one of those "all or nothing" comments I was talking about.......always on the negative side. What I mean by my comment is if everyone on this team was making a mistake every now and then but doing whatever the equivalnt of 75 yards/1000 yard season/10 plus touchdowns is for THEIR position then this team would be very good across the board......savvy?

- When I say he manned up he admitted his mistake after the game.....it was talked about in the media....and it DOES NOT MATTER if you think he was paid what he was worth....there were wideouts that were paid more that did not match his production....he and his agent aren't stupid.....and losing him would lose a legit number 1 option wide receiver from the team.....he stayed....he took less.....he deserves that respect.

Come on man...stop inflating his TD's unless you are counting ones he should of had (IE, JETS game). Stevie had 7 TD's last year. Trust me, they dont lock Stevie up he is not signing in Buffalo for what he signed for. I would give that credit to the Front Office of the Bills vs. Stevie. Manning up after the fact means ZERO when it comes to a team sport...He deserves respect if he makes the catch, stops the stupid penalties and continues to produce