Question about our defense

Estro

I've heard a lot of chatter that Gilmore excels in off man. I've heard that Dre Kirkpatrick excels at press cover and zone.

My question is this:

What do the Bills ask their CB's to do primarily? I know it's not always the same exact assignment, but for the most part do the Bills run zone or man in the back end?

I remember under Juaron our CB's always played a solid 10 yards off the WR, so I'm assuming they ran a lot of off man then (perhaps it was zone, I dont know). I haven't noticed any tendency the last couple of years, and really want to know what Wanny's philopophy is in the back end? If anybody has the knowledge, enlighten me. Thanks.

According to Pro Football Weekly Dave likes a to run fast flow up front and Zone in the back. Which is good because Zone doesn't require us to have elite athletes to do it and allows for bigger players and it keeps players looking toward the QB so if he runs they can go after him instead of letting him run up the field without them knowing it because they are in man. Also bigger corners will be better able to match up against the bigger receivers that are now in vogue in the league. CBs Dre Kirkpatrick, Trumaine Johnson and Donnie Fletcher who are all 6'1-2" would be ideal.

The past 2 seasons we played man coverage most of the time until the offense would get into the red zone, in which we would play mostly zone. Wanny strictly in terms of coverages will use all the various zone schemes with much less usage of man to man. A lot will depend on how our personnel performs of course.

So do we all agree that this is the make or break season for McKelvin? I'll be honest. I was willing to call him a bust last year but after all the changes that happened defensively this year, I'm willing to give him one more year.

if the above poster is correct and Wanny will play mostly zone, then McKelvin will not be very productive since he does not possess the savvy or smarts to play zone

he has press cover skills which will be wasted

put him on the slot guy and utilize his skills

if the above poster is correct and Wanny will play mostly zone, then McKelvin will not be very productive since he does not possess the savvy or smarts to play zone

Not to be argumentative but I really feel the exact opposite is true. The last couple years I think McKelvin played it up closer to the line and wasn't able to keep up with WR's double moves and such. He has the speed and athleticism but he seemed to get his feet tangled up or just didn't have the ball skills when the ball was in the air.

The cover 2 under Jauron I think required him to play off and keep everything in front of him and only be responsible for an area of the field and anyone that came in it. I think McKelvin is suited to play that style of CB not press coverage.

I remember most of McKelvin's interceptions coming in zone coverage. Could be wrong.

This was discussed a lil while ago here: TBD: Wanny's Dallas Cowboys Playbook

You can read my take on it there, or if you want the quick answer, CBs will mostly be in zone coverage.

I'm even more excited about it when you take into account that Mario is in the mix. The success of this defense hinges on the front 4 creating pressure in passing situations and keeping the OL off of the LBs so they can read and react on running/play action situations.

Edited by uncle flap

"I've always believed that you gotta mix that in," Wannstedt said of blitzing. "But if you can get to the point, like the Giants are, where you can create pressure with four guys, now in the secondary you don't have to run single coverage. You can run two or three different coverages. You can double guys, trap guys. It gives you a lot more flexibility back there. That's our goal."

BUff News - Wanny after MW signed on our D

Wanny when he was hired as DC

It has been awhile since Wanny's pressers on our D have been posted, so I thought it would be good to include in here

Not to be argumentative but I really feel the exact opposite is true. The last couple years I think McKelvin played it up closer to the line and wasn't able to keep up with WR's double moves and such. He has the speed and athleticism but he seemed to get his feet tangled up or just didn't have the ball skills when the ball was in the air.

The cover 2 under Jauron I think required him to play off and keep everything in front of him and only be responsible for an area of the field and anyone that came in it. I think McKelvin is suited to play that style of CB not press coverage.

I agree with PDaDdy, McKelvin does better when asked to play the ball and not the WR, he gets turned around in Man coverage.

I honestly believe that this will be his break out year.

I agree with PDaDdy, McKelvin does better when asked to play the ball and not the WR, he gets turned around in Man coverage.

I honestly believe that this will be his break out year.

I hope this will be his break out year. After last season on how our D play it was bad. But yet it was our D-coach that did a very poor job too. So hopefully since wanny is our new D-coach hopefully a lot of our players improve a lot

========================================================================================================================

I didn't see the press coverage skills from McKelvin. I saw NO skills from McKelvin. He couldn't cover anyone even if you gave him a blanket. The guy is another blown number 1 pick by the Bills. Like that is something new. LOL McKelvin will be gone when his contract is up, you can bet on it.

I hope this will be his break out year. After last season on how our D play it was bad. But yet it was our D-coach that did a very poor job too. So hopefully since wanny is our new D-coach hopefully a lot of our players improve a lot

===========================================================================================================================

I'll give you the argument that our defensive coaches weren't very good, but they can only do so much with what they have to work with. If you have a bunch of lousy players even the best coach can't do much with them. The coach can't go out there and cover the receivers. If a guy isn't good enough to cover NFL receivers, he will get beat no matter who is standing on the side lines. Bad players are just bad players.

1. I think DW will platoon the DL- Mario Williams, Dareus, K Williams, Mark Anderson might play two thirds of plays with a second line like Carrington, Heard, Gilbert, Merriman playing a third- not sure if DW is all about speed in which case Heard and Troup are less likely to make it or if he likes at least one big DT in the middle- The Bills will have 17 players (not counting any more FA or Draft picks) vie for 9 spots- The Bills could have the best starting 4 in the NFL with the number two line as good as other Bills Team's starting line.

2. Nick Barnett, Shepard, Morrison look to be starting the season in regular downs- with Scott and a nickle corner replacing Shepard and Morrison on passing downs. I think the Bills are going to look for guys who can really run and be willing to take guys a little undersized if they are really athletic over a bigger guy who's a plodder- after the starters I'm guessing it will be Chris White and Moats along with 3-4 drafted LBs and another 3-4 UDFAs fighting over 4 spots

3. Wilson and Byrd look pretty good - CB is where I'm least sure if it will be a familiar name or a new comer starting.

I love our secondary. Florence can play zone or man as good as any in the league. Mckelvin is very good in coverage, it's his ball skills that suck. He is alwats with his guy, just can't make a play on the ball. Hopefully that will change and he will start over Mcgee who is excellent, but injury prone. Love the picks in the secondary from last year. A pass rush will make a this secondary look unreal. They were near the top in picks last year.

I love our secondary. Florence can play zone or man as good as any in the league. Mckelvin is very good in coverage, it's his ball skills that suck. He is alwats with his guy, just can't make a play on the ball. Hopefully that will change and he will start over Mcgee who is excellent, but injury prone. Love the picks in the secondary from last year. A pass rush will make a this secondary look unreal. They were near the top in picks last year.

I agree...It's our only strength apart from the running game!

Please. Cb is like the one position were settled at

We are far from settled at CB. McGee is old and often injured, as reflected by his contract restructuring. McKelvin is in a contract year and who knows what is going to happen with him and how he will perform. Florence is a good asset for the team to have as a nickel/dime CB (same situation as McGee). Williams is the only CB that looks sure to be a starter on opening day. Rogers is a coin flip, but I do love how he performed while returning kicks late in the year. You can never have enough good CB's in this league and I can guarantee you that Buddy Nix does not think that we are settled at CB.

I agree...It's our only strength apart from the running game!

Have you forgotten about Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, and Mark Anderson?