Nick Fairley arrested for marijuana possession

papazoid

I believe that alcohol ABUSE is just as bad as marijuana USE...but while a single beer or two "can" impair your ability, for most people it won't have much of an effect...but generally, ONE hit of marijuana does impair one's ability to do basic things such as drive....and I realize this may bring alot of debate in a sports forum, but I do strongly believe NY state law is not nearly as aggressive as it should be....the DWI laws have gotten significantly more punitive, as they should, but marijuana laws have gone the other way; meanwhile, synthetic marijuana and bath salts were just outlawed in NYS, although synthetic marijuana has been illegal on the federal level since the DEA passed a law in December 2010 but had to be federally enforced...and I'm all for criminalizing synthetic marijuana and abuse of bath salts, but then we don't enhance the marijuana laws, that's what I have a problem with. We can debate all night long, and we all have our reasons for our opinions, but that's mine: marijuana laws should be tougher and greater emphasis on prevention than treatment.

Sorry man, but it's not sarcasm, it's truly how I feel...as for feeling sorry for the Lions, not so much the team but their fans...fans can't control who the Lions' FO drafts, but the FO might want to start digging a little deeper and spending more time on the interview process when they draft their players, and oh, I dunno...a random urine screen or two?? That might prevent an arrest....and before we get into a legal debate about how a team can drug screen a player, most of us had to pass a drug test for employment at one time or another, and it should be stipulated in their contracts that random urine screens will be conducted throughout the year....

This is so wrong. You obviously have never smoked. You drink a few beers and I'll take one hit of pot and we'll take a road test. I will drive much better than you.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is so wrong. You obviously have never smoked. You drink a few beers and I'll take one hit of pot and we'll take a road test. I will drive much better than you.

If there is any debate, my first question to BillsBuff would be to describe his personal experience with weed. I think thats a good place to start :thumbsup:

The biggest issue with pot is the crime associated with the profit from illegal sales. The effects on people who use it are negligible, especially when compared to alcohol.

You want to control someone high on pot? Toss them a bag of Doritos and turn on Scooby Doo. Good luck dealing with a 6'5" 270 pound body builder who has a problem with alcohol. You'll have to shoot that !@#$er to get him under control.

The only place marijuana is worse the alcohol is in the miniature minds of man.

The biggest issue with pot is the crime associated with the profit from illegal sales. The effects on people who use it are negligible, especially when compared to alcohol.

You want to control someone high on pot? Toss them a bag of Doritos and turn on Scooby Doo. Good luck dealing with a 6'5" 270 pound body builder who has a problem with alcohol. You'll have to shoot that !@#$er to get him under control.

or steroids. Well said.

Edited by nucci

well said. could not agree with you more.

hahahahahahahahahahah at the person who actually thinks marijuana laws are not tough enough in New York State. In Canada there are Vapour lounges where people are LEGALLY allowed to smoke pot (located in downtown Toronto) the laws are soooo soft there. You just arent allowed to deal/buy it. Compared to that NY State is pretty tough lmao

New York State used to have the toughest marijuana laws in the country. It's actually one of the reasons the state is so broke now. They used to have 10 year MINIMUMS for possession. All that did was fill up the prisons and force them to build even more. Politicians finally figured out they couldn't afford to keep up the charade but the damage was already done.

Idiots.

I would just like to point out that my issue with the drug is I don't want my children messing with the stuff. I drink but not to excess. You know what the difference is between the two are one is legal and the other will get you arrested. That should be enough of a deterrent.

As an adult you can make your own decision. If you choose to smoke pot its your fault for getting arrested. You know it is illegal and just because you think it should be legal doesn't change the fact that if you get caught there is a consequence.

I have never touched the stuff and I really don't need a bunch of stoners trying to convince my kids that a drug is ok because I say it is.

I'm sure a lot of you people understand that there must be some kids or teens read this message board. Keep this kind of stuff to yourselves.

I smoke cigarettes and i'm an idiot for picking up the habit. I don't go on sport message boards trying to convince others why its ok.

New York State used to have the toughest marijuana laws in the country. It's actually one of the reasons the state is so broke now. They used to have 10 year MINIMUMS for possession. All that did was fill up the prisons and force them to build even more. Politicians finally figured out they couldn't afford to keep up the charade but the damage was already done.

Idiots.

This is a rare occasion where my bleeding heart is in agreement with Darin. Hell, even in England, certain jurisdictions found that it was cheaper to put junkies in a halfway house and GIVE them drugs than it was to incarcerate them. The drug laws force our gov't to spend way too much on enforcement, while incentivizing the cartels at the mexican border and the british columbian growers. More lax drug laws would keep more money from escaping our country while encouraging the decreasment of enforcement and prisons. Furthermore, we can tax the hell out of this to reverse the dent the drug trade takes on our gubmint.

Big Buff, cna you please elaborate on your experiences of smoking pot?

I would just like to point out that my issue with the drug is I don't want my children messing with the stuff. I drink but not to excess. You know what the difference is between the two are one is legal and the other will get you arrested. That should be enough of a deterrent.

As an adult you can make your own decision. If you choose to smoke pot its your fault for getting arrested. You know it is illegal and just because you think it should be legal doesn't change the fact that if you get caught there is a consequence.

I have never touched the stuff and I really don't need a bunch of stoners trying to convince my kids that a drug is ok because I say it is.

I'm sure a lot of you people understand that there must be some kids or teens read this message board. Keep this kind of stuff to yourselves.

I smoke cigarettes and i'm an idiot for picking up the habit. I don't go on sport message boards trying to convince others why its ok.

I encourage every person reading this (adult, teen or whatever) to question everything anyone tells you. Have your own experiences, collect your own data, make your own educated decision. Dont just listen to people because they are older than you. They probably arent that much smarter, just better at faking it or being bossy. Just because something is illegal, don't bury your head in the sand against what is right.

A very wise Chemistry professor once told me "Never stop asking 'Why?'"

Furthermore, most teens reading this probably have better pot than all of us old men.

+1

Some light reading for you folks...

Australia calls the War on Drugs a "failure", will be changing policies.

Former President of Columbia calls America's drug war a "failure"

PAT ROBERTSON calls for the legalization of marijuana

Time magazine (amongst others) calls D.A.R.E. a failure

And as ONE example, anyone want to take a guess at which Billionaire is listed at #701 on Forbes wealthiest people list? Oh yeah, Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman Loera. Looks like all that tax money really has these guys on the run... :rolleyes:

Edited by DrDareustein

:lol: Yeah, because this is going to be the single place on the internet (or in the world for that matter) where they'd get information and opinion on marijuana. Did you grow up under a rock or something? Get over your !@#$ing self.

This is a rare occasion where my bleeding heart is in agreement with Darin.

Look at you, being right for once. :lol:

I find it disturbing that we don't treat marijuana use and/or possession as serious as other narcotics such as cocaine, heroin, PCP, Ecstasy, etc....sorry, but nothing is going to change my mind that marijuana is a serious threat to the good people of this great nation!!

Fact is it is a very usefull medicine as pain relief but also slows and in some cases even cures cataract. Fact recreational use has been traced back as far as 2737 BC. Fact tobacco and alcohol are far more dangerous then marijuana, alcohol to the extend of harddrugs even. Fact is it doesnt compare to harddrugs like cocaine, heroin or PCP. Also xtc or mdma in pure form has been shown in studies to be healthy and there is even a hint that it may help against alzheimer. Only reason this stuff is banned is because users are less productive and the governement needs workers not spacers, then again how productive are you when watching football or any other entertainment you enjoy, do you go to work drunk? XTC and marijuana do no one harm on a usage level. The harm comes from it being illegal, criminals smuggle the stuff and try to monopolize markets, if anything it needs to be legalized and regulated. Bonus fact; the Netherlands allows marijuna and XTC for personal usage, as a result the Netherlands has the lowest amount of drug addicts in the world.

Edit: Ow and if you ever find someone is too high on marijuna know that sugar naturalizes THC. Often Americans come down to Amsterdam to hit the coffeeshops and get all spaced out because the Dutch stuff is ways stronger, trick I learned from a police officer; sit them down and give them 1 or 2 cokes and they will be fine in 15 minutes.

With regards to DUI, being under the influence of marijuna or any other drug, even prescribed drugs are all considered DUI and you will loose your license in the Netherlands.

Edited by bladiebla

This just solidifies Dareus' dominance over the NFL. Fairley has pretty much been an injury bust so far, now this drug bust makes him a total bust. Still, these drug laws are a mess. Medicinal needs to be legalized in NY just like Vermont and Michigan. We can all quit our jobs and become farmers. Each plant nets $4000, which the state can tax the hell out of and everybody wins! And these random drug busts are obvious racial profiling. How often do you hear about a white guy getting arrested for pot? It's unheard of. The inequality of it all is reason enough to fully decriminalize.

Ok ok everyone relax....(puff.....exhale)

hey on a serious note, how did Fairley do his rookie season? I didn't see him play one snap this year and I know he was out for awhile but did he show any flashes of that unblockable monster he was in the Bowl game?

I wanted that dude to be a Bill after seeing that game but I'm glad we went with Big 99. Was Detroit happy with the pick?

Good for Fairley. Say what you will about legality, but at least he's (probably) not killing his body with opiates passed out by the team MDs. NFL players are in constant pain during and after their careers.

Good for Fairley. Say what you will about legality, but at least he's (probably) not killing his body with opiates passed out by the team MDs. NFL players are in constant pain during and after their careers.

Good point. Brett Favre was one of the biggest addicts the NFL has seen. The only difference between him and JaMarcus Russell (liquid codeine) and Travis Henry (coke), is that Favre's problem was prescribed to him. But hey, as long as those pharma companies are profiting, everything is ok.