What are your biggest concerns about the Buffalo Bills?

i have no serious concerns. I do have a worry though and it's been mentioned already, that Chan does not show flexibility this year.

I was aghast(yep it's a word) that we kept throwing and throwing and throwing after it was obvious we should be running slipper and Choice. If he does not use Fred and Cj to their potential i will not happy. Because we will have a defense that can get off the field i see no reason to not flip open up the play book this year. I am worried Chan is not as smart as i want him to be.

I think it's a bit different way of saying the same thing - there are different kinds of smart. There's creative and innovative smart. Then there's practical and think fast on your feet/be flexible smart.

I think Chan is creative and innovative smart - given all the time he needs. I'm worried he isn't practical-smart

I don't think it's an accident that season opener and the game after the bye week were blowouts. Chan had plenty of time to prepare.

What I worry about is that Chan isn't as quick-thinking and flexible in his thinking as the pressures of the NFL season require the OC to be.

There isn't a lot of time during the season- there's a reason head coaches sleep in the office. The ability to power through sleep depriviation and overwork and keep your head and your drive and your edge gets less with age.

Add in that Chan is trying to fill the role of both OC and HC, and something's got to give. I'm afraid what gives is the game planning and quick adaptation of the game plan to injuries.

I'd probably feel better if Chan had brought in a true OC this off season.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a bit different way of saying the same thing - there are different kinds of smart. There's creative and innovative smart. Then there's practical and think fast on your feet/be flexible smart.

I think Chan is creative and innovative smart - given all the time he needs. I'm worried he isn't practical

I don't think it's an accident that season opener and the game after the bye week were blowouts. Cjhan had plenty of time to prepare.

What I worry about is that Chan isn't as quick-thinking and flexible in his thinking as the pressures of the NFL season require the OC to be.

There isn't a lot of time during the season- there's a reason head coaches sleep in the office. The ability to power through sleep depriviation and overwork and keep your head and your drive and your edge gets less with age.

Add in that Chan is trying to fill the role of both OC and HC, and something's got to give. I'm afraid what gives is the game planning and quick adaptation of the game plan to injuries.

Chan spends very little time on the defense, has publicly stated as such, and lets his defensive coaches do the vast majority of the work. He has plenty of time to run the OC job. His mistake, and a big one, was the hiring of George Edwards, who was in way over his head. Edwards wasn't given a ton of talent, and injuries killed us on defense. But he was still bad and a bad choice. Wanny should immediately take care of our defensive coaching issues.

I think Chan is creative and innovative smart - given all the time he needs. I'm worried he isn't practical

I don't think it's an accident that season opener and the game after the bye week were blowouts. Cjhan had plenty of time to prepare.

I understand your meaning. And i can agree with you. Some one should have told him during the week. Hey Fitz looks out of sorts. The running game might take some pressure off him. Lets take a look at getting some pressure off Fitzy till we see what is going on.

Spiller gotta learn anyways.

I realize it's much more complicated than i make it but he should have adjusted and he looked stubborn or heartbroken and angry: not sure.

With this particular QB coach working Fitz up i really think that will help support the offensive load and Chan can focus on winning the game!

Also with the Edwards dilemna gone, and a Wanny 4-3 that Will stop the run and put lots-o pass pressure from Mt Rushmore the defense is not a concern for me yet.

I understand your meaning. And i can agree with you. Some one should have told him during the week. Hey Fitz looks out of sorts. The running game might take some pressure off him. Lets take a look at getting some pressure off Fitzy till we see what is going on.

Spiller gotta learn anyways.

I realize it's much more complicated than i make it but he should have adjusted and he looked stubborn or heartbroken and angry: not sure.

With this particular QB coach working Fitz up i really think that will help support the offensive load and Chan can focus on winning the game!

Also with the Edwards dilemna gone, and a Wanny 4-3 that Will stop the run and put lots-o pass pressure from Mt Rushmore the defense is not a concern for me yet.

None of us have much of an idea of what Chan did and didn't know about Fitz's injury, but it seems to me, that he didn't know the extent of the injury at all, and if he asked Fitzpatrick are you good to go, and he said 100%, which he would have and any good, tough NFL QB would have, Chan wouldn't think about playing a back-up.

I think it was much, much more of the case of the injuries to the OL and the WR and loss of Freddy, as well as the collapse of the defense that led to the team slump rather than Fitz's injury. And if the OL and WR were the way we were the first 5 games hardly anyone would have noticed the dropoff due to the injury, however much it was hurting him. If he had a little more time, and guys were getting a little more open, and Freddy was causing a little more match-up problems and Fitz wasn't getting pummeled after half of his throws (further adding injury to insult) and the defense wasn't giving up 30 points a game forcing up to throw and play catch up more, no one would have heard of the injury.

I think Chan knew, and it seemed self-evident to me, that the Bills success in the run game the entire year was because of the spread offense and the fact we passed all the time. You couldn't just run out of it more and expect the same result. Sure, I would have liked Spiller to get the ball a little bit more, but really, if it were more than 1-2 more touches a game, that would likely have been all we could get away with before teams stopped defensing us the way they did, which allowed us to run the way we did.

Chan spends very little time on the defense, has publicly stated as such, and lets his defensive coaches do the vast majority of the work. He has plenty of time to run the OC job. His mistake, and a big one, was the hiring of George Edwards, who was in way over his head.

I hear you on Edwards

Not sure what all the ins and outs and daily tasks of the HC job truly are.

I'm sure, though, that there is a reason most coaches around the league are not simultaneously trying to fill the role of OC and HC or DC and HC.

None of us have much of an idea of what Chan did and didn't know about Fitz's injury, but it seems to me, that he didn't know the extent of the injury at all, and if he asked Fitzpatrick are you good to go, and he said 100%, which he would have and any good, tough NFL QB would have, Chan wouldn't think about playing a back-up.

I think it was much, much more of the case of the injuries to the OL and the WR and loss of Freddy, as well as the collapse of the defense that led to the team slump rather than Fitz's injury. And if the OL and WR were the way we were the first 5 games hardly anyone would have noticed the dropoff due to the injury, however much it was hurting him. If he had a little more time, and guys were getting a little more open, and Freddy was causing a little more match-up problems and Fitz wasn't getting pummeled after half of his throws (further adding injury to insult) and the defense wasn't giving up 30 points a game forcing up to throw and play catch up more, no one would have heard of the injury.

I think Chan knew, and it seemed self-evident to me, that the Bills success in the run game the entire year was because of the spread offense and the fact we passed all the time. You couldn't just run out of it more and expect the same result. Sure, I would have liked Spiller to get the ball a little bit more, but really, if it were more than 1-2 more touches a game, that would likely have been all we could get away with before teams stopped defensing us the way they did, which allowed us to run the way we did.

excellent post! ALL of this is true, however I'd argue that the crummy defense had a lot more to do with Fitz's struggles than the injuries to the OL and WR.

With the Bills defense handing out points like candy and their inability to get off the field in the latter half of the year, not only does fitz have to pass more, he has to pass DOWNFIELD more, which already isn't a strength of his. The offense needs to get big chunks of yards fast, and can't afford to sprinkle in the draw plays and quick outs/drags that consume more time than they are worth in a comeback situation.

So now you can no longer play to your strengths (short, quick passing and misdirection runs) AND the opposing defense knows it. Despite pulling off comebacks early in the year, the 2011 Bills were not built to comeback (read: score points quickly).

That said, DEFENSE remains my biggest concern going forward. However, the FO has obviously realized this and switched schemes, promoted Wanny, and added Mario and Anderson. Seems to me the Bills are doing all the right things in addressing my biggest concern which makes me a happy fan!

Can't wait for the draft! LET'S GO BILLS!

I'm sure you're correct about what any good, tough NFL player would say.

I'm also sure that any canny, experienced HC would talk to the medical staff. I'm also sure that after the guy goes in and lays an egg in the 1st game against the Jets, with <50% completions and 2 INTs, the savvy HC re-evaluates both with the QB and with the medical staff. The only defense, would be if the medical staff just took xrays and didn't find anything broken and said "nah, he's just sore, we'll shoot him up with toradyl and he'll be fine". Apparently cracked, but not displaced ribs are very difficult to diagnose by xray, something like only 50% esp. when the injury is fresh.

I do think actually, Chan didn't fully trust Fitz at that point and figured he was just "streaky" or having a "mid-season slump"

I hear you on Edwards

Not sure what all the ins and outs and daily tasks of the HC job truly are.

I'm sure, though, that there is a reason most coaches around the league are not simultaneously trying to fill the role of OC and HC or DC and HC.

I would say about half of them are and half of them are not. Belicheck, Reid, Shanahan, Rex Ryan, Kubiak, Sean Payton, Jason Garrett just off the top of my head all do it. There are more.

Replying to the initial post - the worry that the Bills never do anything all the way, that is to say, we are never bad enough to get the franchise QB in the draft, and never good enough to win the Super Bow, but always end up in the middle, mired by mediocrity.

I have been frustrated that Buddy and Chan haven't found a young QB in the past two years. I was frustrated when they signed Fitz to the six year deal, because I thought, at the time, that they were going too quickly with him. Now I see they can still afford to get a young QB - and if they do not, I will continue to be disappointed. Fitz isn't going to lead this team to a Super Bowl. Now, so far this rebuild is going pretty good. It's been a little here and there and I expect it to continue for another few years. As long as they are passing on the QB's because they haven't found the one they want to go all in for, I'm okay with that. So, I guess that is my worry - that they will lose steam with this rebuild and not go for the right QB when the time comes (looks like next year), or not finish this thing. It's not enough to be good; we have to be great, and we have to win it all.

But, in the meantime, I've learned to enjoy what Nix is doing - he has a plan and it will take a few years, but he is methodically building a winning team. This year is really going to be fun - it already has been! The draft, then the summer, and then the games - I can't wait. Again, though, I hope they find a way to add excitement to the QB position.

Still have to see if the D really improves... they were a terrible unit last year. Ya some player upgrades but how much will that affect how well they play?

Also does Fitzpatrick continue his free fall after his hot start last season. He hasn't been anything but average over his 7 year career. Why will next year be different? Some of you see a different QB than I do. Yea he is smart... so what, smart doesn't make you a good QB, it's important but there are so many other aspects to being a good QB. He is lacking on a lot of them.

Let's see it on the field...

giants 32nd running attack in the league last year with a qb that had "m-a-n-n-i-n-g" stitched on the back of his shirt.

thats how i would define that.

You have proven my point more perfectly than I ever could. HILARIOUS! Prior to last year there were people still questioning whether he should be the starter in NY and whether Coughlin would lose his job mid season or not. The "elite"/"franchise" questions is such a joke.

I guess Eli stood alone on the field facing the Patriots all by himself. Let's completely ignore the fact that football is a team sport and the Giant's defense played their backsides off in that game and got the Patriots off their game enough for the team to win.

Thank you for so beautifully illustrating my point.

LOL what? You think I'm the only one?... :lol:

Whether you are 1 or 1,000,000 it has nothing to do with whether you are right or wrong ;)

Usually the more complex something is the fewer people there are that truly understand it and the more people there are that think they know everything but couldn't be more wrong.

Edited by PDaDdy

Lets bring some pessimism back to these parts!

Since the Mario signing, and the Anderson signing to a lesser extent, I think it's safe to say that the overwhelming majority of us have at least allowed ourselves to imagine grabbing a 6 seed next season, and for one glorious weekend, being part of the NFL playoff conversation. It would definitely be fun, and there's little doubt in my mind it can happen. Hell, I've said it in many threads, and I'll say it again here: New England is old, and on a decline, despite making the super bowl. We could easily WIN the division outright next year, and host a playoff game (or 2?) at the Ralph.

But let's look deeper than that. What are you worried about with this club? And please - take the "They're going to move to LA" talk to another thread. Theyre not moving.

Personally, my biggest concern is at quarterback.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is amazing - my favorite player on the team by far, and the first professional athlete since John Starks of the 1998 New York Knicks that I can 100% root for and feel like he's not just doing it because "it's his job." He's a great underdog story, a good interview, seems like a funny guy, and the story that after home games he goes back to his house with his wife and grills with his neighbors is awesome, and shows why buffalo is the most bad ass team in the NFL.

But. In the back of my mind, im fairly certain that he is not a quarterback that can win a super bowl for this team. As hard as it is to admit, when you look at the list of super bowl winning quarterbacks in the league right now (the Mannings, Brady, Rothlisberger, Breese, et. al) Fitzpatricks name doesnt belong up there by a long shot.

With that being said, what really worries me is this: We have acquired the talent now to not be a perpetual 6-10, 7-9 team - but rather the perpetual 10-6, 11-5 team. The one that loses in heart breaking fashion in the divisional round, or maybe the conference finals if we have a lights out defense and amazing drafts the next 2 years. We won't be drafting in the top 3 for a LONG time. Essentially, we have absolutely no way to ever aquire an elite QB to go with this defense.

So my biggest concern - we are now the San Diego Chargers East. The team that looks great every offseason, but just can never. get. over. the. hump.

I couldn't agree more and my first thought was Fitz, who just doesn't have the arm to get the job done which sucks because I like everything else about him. However a top QB could aquired if a Good QB has an injury and his team doesn't want him anymore like Peyton and Brees. Maybe Roethlisberger gets killed again behind that line cuz they need upgrades everywhere but center and they can't do it in one year. Maybe a guy like Malleit or Skelton becomes trade bait, really wish we would have drafted Mallett over Sheppard who is good but not sure he will be great and QBs over LBs always. Then there is the Chance that we get a mid round prospect that becomes a star like Joe Montana and Brady, Guys like Kirk Cousins, Brock Osweiler, B.J. Coleman and Nick Foles.

My biggest concern is that there doesn't seem to be any "fire in the belly", "Rah Rah" kind of players on the team. When things start to go south on them they don't have anybody going up and down the bench yelling and screaming to fire the team up.

I think you will discover that his name is Kelvin Shepherd.

My absolute biggest concern is depth on the offensive line. Second concern is depth at WR, and third is depth at LB.

so you are abit concerned about our depth? i am kinda reading between the lines here i know.

But i agree. tackles both sides, Someone behind Nick, Shepp and Morrison, not sure what we have at wr beyond Stevie. I know we have players just not comfortable with who has what role this year. But dont forget CB's. And can Thigpen do more than hold a clipboard and get hit in the head with footballs?

One thing that is a not a concern is that Buddy and Chan are aware of these issues.

so you are abit concerned about our depth? i am kinda reading between the lines here i know.

But i agree. tackles both sides, Someone behind Nick, Shepp and Morrison, not sure what we have at wr beyond Stevie. I know we have players just not comfortable with who has what role this year. But dont forget CB's. And can Thigpen do more than hold a clipboard and get hit in the head with footballs?

One thing that is a not a concern is that Buddy and Chan are aware of these issues.

Caught me. :lol:

Yup, it looks like we're doing a good job of piecing it together, so hopefully that continues.

I think Thigpen is still a decent backup QB, I don't think it's nearly the priority of keeping solid folks in front of our starting QB is, though.

You have proven my point more perfectly than I ever could. HILARIOUS! Prior to last year there were people still questioning whether he should be the starter in NY and whether Coughlin would lose his job mid season or not. The "elite"/"franchise" questions is such a joke.

I guess Eli stood alone on the field facing the Patriots all by himself. Let's completely ignore the fact that football is a team sport and the Giant's defense played their backsides off in that game and got the Patriots off their game enough for the team to win.

Thank you for so beautifully illustrating my point.

youre very full of yourself, for someone who's not really saying much.

your position: the concept of an "elite/franchise" quarterback is a joke, and it can't be defined.

the reality: we haven't won a playoff game in 16 years, since we last had a franchise quarterback, fitzpatrick has never had a winning record in his career, and either a manning, brady, brees or rothlisberger has pretty much won every super bowl for the past decade, and if they didn't win it, they were playing in it.

your position:the running game is going to make a comeback in the NFL, because the league is cyclical.

the reality: the super bowl champions had the 32nd ranked running attack in the league last year. new england was 20th.

i will continue to use facts - you keep talking in a condescending manner about how you have vastly superior knowledge of how the league works that one day maybe the rest of us will be privy to.

you can't define an elite quarterback? but if you woke up tomorrow and read the buffalo news that we had cut fitzy and signed drew breese, i bet you would reply to a thread that said we had just acquired a top 5 qb in the league and were considered super bowl contenders.

Edited by JohnnyGold