Just a thought about the #10 pick

The more I sit here and think about who I'd like to see with our first round pick the more I'm starting to like the idea of Upshaw now, I am definitely all for a WR or a LT but Upshaw would make this defense really vesitile. I know the knock on him was his lack of arm length and speed but now with Mario in the picture maybe Upshaw is a better fit. And if and when we go to a 3/4 Upshaw and Mario can both play LB with Barnett and Shep.

Just a thought...

there are seriously about 7-10 players i would be happy with at that spot. i can be talked into any one so i think i will be pretty happy when the commish says...

I have an indelible memory of the 2006 NFL Draft, having a beer or 12 at the Bills Backers bar we go to in LA. I turned to my friend (AKC) I was watching the draft with and right before the commish announced from the podium the Bills choice, I said to him, "You know what's so great about this, they cannot !@#$ this up. There are so many good players available." -- immediately followed by "WHO?!"

there are seriously about 7-10 players i would be happy with at that spot. i can be talked into any one so i think i will be pretty happy when the commish says...

yup, agreed. i think a lot of Ingram, Upshaw, Floyd, Kirkpatrick, Martin, etc.

we'll be adding a soild player.

I have an indelible memory of the 2006 NFL Draft, having a beer or 12 at the Bills Backers bar we go to in LA. I turned to my friend (AKC) I was watching the draft with and right before the commish announced from the podium the Bills choice, I said to him, "You know what's so great about this, they cannot !@#$ this up. There are so many good players available." -- immediately followed by "WHO?!"

The question is: Who is the WHO? I think the WHO could be a DT like Cox or Ta'amu. Maybe Zach Brown? Outside of that, I can't say I'd be upset with any of the names being thrown out here.

trade the 10 to Cinny for there 17 and 21 picks. They get RB Richardson the Bills pick CB Dre Kirkpatrick and OT Johnathon Martin. Good deal for both.

I like that idea but I would go Martin/Hill and then Curry in the 2nd. I know we need a corner but I think our starters are set with Williams and Florence, we could pick up a 3rd cb in the 3rd.

If Mario goes down for a few games where does our edge rush come from? My point being the pass rush is far from covered.

Even with the less-than-quick Upshaw, where does the pass rush come from?

Upshaw is an excellent college football player and will (IMHO) be a good, not great, NFL player at 4-3 DE. He does not have the

speed, quickness or length to be a top-level NFL 4-3 DE, but could be a very good solid Left Defensive End who stuffs the run

and provides some pass rush via his bull-rush. However, for those here who do not appreciate Chris Kelsay, that is exactly what

he (Kelsay) does. FWIW, I think Kelsay is a good NFL Left Defensive End who holds up well vs the run and does an OK job as a

pass rusher. It is only because the other pass rushers are so weak that Kelsay looks less than good (again, IMHO).

Upshaw is an excellent college football player and will (IMHO) be a good, not great, NFL player at 4-3 DE. He does not have the

speed, quickness or length to be a top-level NFL 4-3 DE, but could be a very good solid Left Defensive End who stuffs the run

and provides some pass rush via his bull-rush. However, for those here who do not appreciate Chris Kelsay, that is exactly what

he (Kelsay) does. FWIW, I think Kelsay is a good NFL Left Defensive End who holds up well vs the run and does an OK job as a

pass rusher. It is only because the other pass rushers are so weak that Kelsay looks less than good (again, IMHO).

So what's your take on Mario playing LDE for us this year?

So what's your take on Mario playing LDE for us this year?

I think that Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams will provide a significant upgrade to the last

several year's extremely weak pass rushes. However, there is still not a lot of pass rush coming from the other

DE position or any of the LB positions. No single player (IMHO) will make THAT big of a difference.

NOTE, I am not necessarily advocating taking Ingram at #10, but I could definitely see why they might. I also

like LT Reiff and (maybe Martin) and LB Kuechly. I just want them to try to get a very good player with a high

floor that can be a starter for a number of years.

What is your take on who will play RDE (the main pass rush position in the 4-3) for the Bills this year?

Edited by OldTimer1960

Exactly what i've been saying...Upshaw was a great college player on a great team but was not a good pass rusher (he can bullrush and thats about it). He's a good run stuffer but so is Kelsay ...not worth the pick. I really don't want a pass rusher at #10 (since we have Mario on LE and Kelsay/Merriman/Carrington for now on RE) but would rather have Ingram (who is a very athletic/good pass rusher) and to a lesser extent Coples (who could be great if put in the right situation)

That being said I'd rather go BPA even if it means Kuechly (plays any LB position), Floyd, an OT (not sure who Nix would want but I like Glenn), or a CB (Claiborne won't fall to us and i'd rather have Jenkins then Kirkpatrick because he's a much better coverage corner and could become a shutdown corner in the NFL)...

I think that Mario Williams, Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams will provide a significant upgrade to the last

several year's extremely weak pass rushes. However, there is still not a lot of pass rush coming from the other

DE position or any of the LB positions. No single player (IMHO) will make THAT big of a difference.

NOTE, I am not necessarily advocating taking Ingram at #10, but I could definitely see why they might. I also

like LT Reiff and (maybe Martin) and LB Kuechly. I just want them to try to get a very good player with a high

floor that can be a starter for a number of years.

What is your take on who will play RDE (the main pass rush position in the 4-3) for the Bills this year?

I think they're banking on Merriman being healthy quite honestly or maybe they'll move Kelsey over there. Maybe Kelsey on rushing downs and Merriman on passing downs or they'll draft someone. I think moving Mario to LDE means they have something up their sleve.

I like that idea but I would go Martin/Hill and then Curry in the 2nd. I know we need a corner but I think our starters are set with Williams and Florence, we could pick up a 3rd cb in the 3rd.

I am not sure that "set with.... Florence" is correct. Drayton is adequate, but we can definitely improve at CB.

At least Whitner made the All-Rookie team, there have been far worse 1st round selections in recent years by the Bills. :censored:

Just saw a special on Kalil (NFL network). I know its unrealistic but it would be absolutely amazing if he fell a little and we traded up (without giving up too much) and got him. His dad played for the Bills and I bet he's a bills fan (even if he wont admit it)