RFAs

This may have been talked about in another thread but I am not aware. I know both Urbik and Rinehart are RFAs with 3rd round tenders but what exactly does that mean? Can we resign them now or do we have to wait until FA is over? I really hope we keep both cheap (or at least Urbik) so we're not forced to take Decastro...Whoever knows how this really works let me know

Mar 17:

- Deadline for submission of qualifying offers by clubs to retain a right of first refusal/compensation to their Restricted Free Agents whose contracts have expired

- Begin RFA signing period

Mar ??: Annual Owner's meeting

Mar ??: Compensatory Draft Picks announced

Mar ??: Official Draft Order announced

Mar 30-31: Super Regional Combine

Apr ??: 2012 regular season schedule announced

Apr 21: Deadline for tendered RFA to sign with new clubs

Got it from another board.

NeverOutNick... as promised via the SHOUTBOX, YE OLE is here to shed some light on this nonsense.

Restricted free agents (RFAs) are players who have three or fewer accrued seasons of service and whose contracts have expired. RFAs have received qualifying offers from their old clubs and are free to negotiate with any club until a deadline which occurs approximately a week prior to the NFL Draft (for 2012 the deadline is April 20th), at which time their rights revert to their original club. If a player accepts an offer from a new club, the old club will have the right to match the offer and retain the player. If the old club elects not to match the offer, it may receive draft-choice compensation depending on the level of the qualifying offer made to the player.

My link

apparently these guys are pretty good

We should just draft DeCastro…

"In particular, there are two young OG's that the Buffalo Bills currently have on a RFA tender. They are Kraig Urbik and Chad Rinehart. Both are younger guys, at 26 years old, but both are incredibly underrated and just coming into their primes.

According to our friends at Pro Football Focus (@ProFootballFocus for you twitter heads), both Urbik and Rinehart were among the top 10 guards (with at least 200 snaps) in pass blocking efficiency (FYI new center Scott Wells was 3rd among C's). In fact, Urbik ranked #1 and Rinehart #4. Combined, Urbik and Rinehart allowed only 12 pressures in 785 snaps. That information can be found here.

I spoke a bit with Pro Football Focus today about the OG's, and was informed that it would take a 3rd rounder for either guard. Buffalo may not be able to keep both of them."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

What's to stop the Bills from putting 1st round tenders on every RFA? I'm not clear on that part.

PTR

i believe that the higher the tender, the more money that the contract is worth. They are set amounts if i am not mistaken. So you would not want to pay the 1st rounders price for a player that isn't really worth it.