Ralph is Cheap!!!

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/7/2852247/stevie-johnson-ryan-fitzpatrick-kyle-williams-contract-details

"Within the past calendar year, the Buffalo Bills have handed out significant contract extensions to three centerpiece players: defensive tackle Kyle Williams in August; quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick in October; and receiver Stevie Johnson just two days ago. Let's take a closer look at those three deals:

•Williams agreed to a six-year, $39 million contract with $17 million guaranteed; Fitzpatrick signed a six-year, $59 million contract with $24 million guaranteed; and Johnson this week inked a five-year, $36.25 million deal with $19.5 million guaranteed.

•Of the $60.5 million in reported (and likely guesstimated) guarantees between the three players, $23.25 million were actual signing bonuses. That's money paid for three signatures.

•Each contract contains at least one season in which a player's base salary was (or will be) fully guaranteed. Those years count toward guaranteed figures, as well.

•The Bills, over the next several years, have the option of paying these three players a further $21.45 million in option, workout and roster bonuses. These sums count toward the aforementioned guaranteed figures, but are not actually guaranteed to the players unless injury situations change - and that's only in some cases."

I can't believe that Ralph only shelled out $60.5M on 3 guaranteed contracts?! Man, Ralph is cheap!!!

Seriously, Ralph has shown that he will open up the pocketbook for good talent. With Ralph being 93, I thinking his meddling with the team is over with.

Next up for contract extensions are Fred Jackson, Eric Wood and Andy Levitre. I wonder what kind of money those players will be looking at?

If he wasn't such a cheap meddling tightwad p.I.a. he would invest his hard earned money in real coaches and front office people, and would have conducted an actual search for an actual gm.

Since he's never been willing to do that, he's paying 17 million next year to two 7th round picks in order to keep us from sliding back to 4-12 or worse.

Yes that does make him cheap.

If he wasn't such a cheap meddling tightwad p.I.a. he would invest his hard earned money in real coaches and front office people, and would have conducted an actual search for an actual gm.

Since he's never been willing to do that, he's paying 17 million next year to two 7th round picks in order to keep us from sliding back to 4-12 or worse.

Right on brother! :thumbsup:

Yep.

^^^

This!

Sarcasm?

PTR

The only contract I'm not sold on is Fitzpatrick's. If he was really the QB he showed us during the 5-2 start, then awesome. But if he's the guy that finished the season, then we may be the biggest fools ever.

I really hope he was injured, and other injuries effected him that much, and not just him being... well... not at all good.

I don't really have a problem with your post even though I disagree with it but…

Right on brother! :thumbsup:

These sorts of replies really annoy the crap out of me… to a negative post you make an enthusiastic affirmation (complete with exclamation point) with a SMILING FACE AND A THUMBS UP???

That sure makes it seem like you either don't really like the Bills or that you LOVE being miserable to the point of happiness.

On the other hand…

Yep.

Marauder's response unlike yours, is an appropriate one for anyone who agrees with a negative viewpoint but is actually a Buffalo Bills fan.

One could also reply to the original post with something like "I have to sadly agree" or "I'd like to argue with you but I can't."

You (Frez) act like you're all happy that someone expressed a negative view of the Bills (accurate or not).

That's a really messed up reaction.

Good bye.

Its not a "negative viewpoint".... its a fact- those contracts were necessary because Ralph can't attract, won't pay, or isnt even able to get along with serious football men who could have prevented us from needing to bend over for a couple of 7th rounders. How could anyone who knows the history of this franchise argue with this?

And for the record, I'm not unhappy we signed them, because they're not the problem. The dozens of picks that Ralph and the beancounters whiffed on are. The salary dump cuts and failure to resign good players we've drafted and developed are.

And that comes down to Ralph being cheap. He's made the team a joke and people here wonder why a sportswriter addresses the idea of manning signing here by writing "lol?". The guy was being kind, he could have elaborated!

:worthy:

Please don't anyone have a heart attack over this smiley, it's only a message board. Thank you very kindly. :)

Edited by Rico

The only contract I'm not sold on is Fitzpatrick's. If he was really the QB he showed us during the 5-2 start, then awesome. But if he's the guy that finished the season, then we may be the biggest fools ever.

I really hope he was injured, and other injuries effected him that much, and not just him being... well... not at all good.

See, I'm not worried as much about whether he was the QB he showed us during the 5-2 start. He obviously was. What I'm worried about is what he's going to do in the future. Before the Washington game, he was throwing it fearlessly, unafraid of the guys bearing down on him. After that game, he was throwing it away, then ducking and covering to protect his cracked ribs from the defender bearing down on him, hoping he hadn't thrown an interception. If he becomes the next Trent Edwards, who actually did't play too poorly before his concussion in AZ, but then sucked afterwards, then we are in trouble. So I'm waiting to see which QB comes out of the gate next season: the fearless gunslinger or the scared noodle-arm.

Not fair to cast judgement on Ralfs decision to bring buddy and Chan in yet. When they came in the there was not too much talent on the roster!! And I would argue that the roster is better now than it was before them. That said, in year 3 I think its fair to expect WINS...

Edited by artmalibu

Next up for contract extensions are Fred Jackson, Eric Wood and Andy Levitre. I wonder what kind of money those players will be looking at?

The thing is, that's what they're supposed to do. Keep the players that are actually worth keeping.

Don't forget Jairus Byrd as well as Levitre and Wood. His contract is almost up as well.

So if Johnson and Williams were first round picks, with the same production, it would be ok to pay them?

BTW how much money have the Patriots paid to a 6th round draft pick and an undrafted player over the last five years? (FYI that undrafted player just got franchise tagged.)