Kyle Williams has achilles detatched

Just a small matter of semantics here, but the report you are referring to was a statement by Williams himself, which was a bit dramatic. He said he had to "re-lean how to walk so that he didn't put all of his weight on the outside of his foot, which he did in order to avoid the pain the spur was causing when he walked".

So it's not nearly the issue that it could sound like.

That's just Dick. Kyle learning to walk normally again after having to walk abnormally to compensate for his chronic injury becomes "he's crippled." :rolleyes:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's my understanding that the artificial materials used to re-attach the tendon make the connection stronger than before. Did your doctors mention this to you at all?

GO BILLS!!!

Yes they did. They used the stuff on both my achilles and my transverse ligaments. Before the surgery my ankle was really weak, after it, I was back to mountain climbing, backpacking and running again (military requirements).

Yes they did. They used the stuff on both my achilles and my transverse ligaments. Before the surgery my ankle was really weak, after it, I was back to mountain climbing, backpacking and running again (military requirements).

Thanks for the insight. Glad to hear you were able to get back to activities that your injury had prevented. I'm always amazed at the advances in medical technology.

From reading some of the posts in the thread, I get the impression some don't realize that KW's achilles was surgically detached as part of a medical procedure and then re-attached once his heel spur was removed. If your story is any indication, I'm guessing KW comes back even better than before.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks for the insight. Glad to hear you were able to get back to activities that your injury had prevented. I'm always amazed at the advances in medical technology.

From reading some of the posts in the thread, I get the impression some don't realize that KW's achilles was surgically detached as part of a medical procedure and then re-attached once his heel spur was removed. If your story is any indication, I'm guessing KW comes back even better than before.

GO BILLS!!!

Assuming everything heals properly, he should be better than he's been the past few years. Which is good news because he was playing at a high level with a bad wheel.

I had this exact same surgery a few years ago. I had a bone spur that was rubbing on my achilles tendon and they did detach it and reattach it after shaving down the spur. I am far from a professional athlete but I can say that about 3-4 months after the surgery and extensive PT I was moving much better then I was before. I'm able to play pickup basketball and run and cut without any pain or loss of range of motion. I'm amazed he could play football with that condition because I could barely walk before surgery without a very noticeable limp. He will be fine since I'm sure he has had the opportunity to rehab even more than I did.

I had this exact same surgery a few years ago. I had a bone spur that was rubbing on my achilles tendon and they did detach it and reattach it after shaving down the spur. I am far from a professional athlete but I can say that about 3-4 months after the surgery and extensive PT I was moving much better then I was before. I'm able to play pickup basketball and run and cut without any pain or loss of range of motion. I'm amazed he could play football with that condition because I could barely walk before surgery without a very noticeable limp. He will be fine since I'm sure he has had the opportunity to rehab even more than I did.

Thanks for your insight as well. It closely mirrors that of Phil Hansen Forever above. I'll ask you the same question I had for him: did your doctors mention that the artificial materials used to re-attach the tendon actually make it stronger than before, more durable?

GO BILLS!!!

Pretty much what anyone who has had the procedure done, and my podiatrist friend, have said.

Thanks for your insight as well. It closely mirrors that of Phil Hansen Forever above. I'll ask you the same question I had for him: did your doctors mention that the artificial materials used to re-attach the tendon actually make it stronger than before, more durable?

GO BILLS!!!

They reattach the tendon by drilling small holes into the heel bone and use plastic sutures to tie it back in. I'm not sure about their strength versus actual tendon strength but I have had no ill effects.

Look no further than Willis McGahee. His knee was absolutely destroyed. All 3 ligament blown apart and new cadaver ones installed. Since that college bowl game injury he went on to have a solid pro career. Including 2 probowls and has been relatively durable and is still going strong at 30.

Kyle should be just fine.

Look no further than Willis McGahee. His knee was absolutely destroyed. All 3 ligament blown apart and new cadaver ones installed. Since that college bowl game injury he went on to have a solid pro career. Including 2 probowls and has been relatively durable and is still going strong at 30.

Kyle should be just fine.

McGahee is a medical miracle in my book. That hit was gruesome. I would look to McGahee as a testament to hard work and perseverance but there's no similarity in terms of injury. Like you said, his knee was destroyed. Nothing about KW's achilles tendon was destroyed. Except for the irritation caused by the bone spur coming in contact with it, his achilles was structurally sound and the spur removed BEFORE damage to the achilles could occur. From all that I've read on it, it's a very common procedure with an extremely high rate of recovery.

Something tells me KW has a similar work ethic to McGahee.

GO BILLS!!!

Geez guys i take a day or two off and the house is a mess.

Great postings and a lot of fun to read.

Now surgically remove Merrimans injurie'S from your thinking that it's same as Super Kyle's. They are not the same at all.

If rehab has no setbacks our Boy will be a monster this season with Marcel next to him. A serious wrecking crew. Of that i am sure. I dont even think we need an elite pass rush at the end. Alot of teams are going to learn the two second drop pass that Fitz has perfected. Especially in the AFC.

now if merriman could at least pass rush, well that would be swell. But i have heard no good news about his health, and i thought i noticed Buddy say "if Shawne can come back and play", too many times.

Methinks he's done. hope i'm wrong but...

So where did you read that ?? The way i took it was he had bones spurs removed from under the achilles it didn't have to be removed & reattached , they wanted to do it before the achilles blew out from the bones spurs rubbing on it from the under neath side between the heel & the achilles ..

PLEASE POST THE ARTICLE I WANT TO READ WHERE THEY HAD TO DETACH IT & REATTACH IT I NEVER HEARD THAT STORY ANY WHERE !! <_<

You find it yet?

It's my understanding that the artificial materials used to re-attach the tendon make the connection stronger than before. Did your doctors mention this to you at all?

GO BILLS!!!

It's great to hear that KW probably has a good prognosis.

Speaking of medical "technology," probably most of you are too young to know that Sabres Coach Lindy Ruff had chronic shoulder separations (he broke into the NHL as a 19-year old) during his career and finally had an operation where they "installed" an internal harness of kevlar which wrapped around his shoulder bone and attached to his upper arm to prevent his shoulder from coming out.

After a few months of playing like that he suffered a broken shoulder on a body check.

Apparently the kevlar wore his shoulder bone away like a strip of sandpaper, causing the bone wear away and finally crack.

I never thought Ruff was a naturally tough guy but he sure did grit his teeth.