Freeney on the outs?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Freeney play a couple times this year.

He looked like the very same extremely awesome player he's always been… except playing on a bad team which never had the lead.

Players as great as Freeney will thrive in any system, IMO.

Our OTs would improve by orders of magnitude simply having to practice against this guy.

I saw Freeney play a couple times this year.

He looked like the very same extremely awesome player he's always been… except playing on a bad team which never had the lead.

Players as great as Freeney will thrive in any system, IMO.

Our OTs would improve by orders of magnitude simply having to practice against this guy.

Greetings San Jose.

As always, great comment. The bolded, in particular, is a benefit I never considered. I just think that, with the amount of passing that goes on in the league nowadays, you can't ever have enough good pass rushers. I'd love to have Freeney to chase around Brady twice each year.

Greetings San Jose.

As always, great comment. The bolded, in particular, is a benefit I never considered. I just think that, with the amount of passing that goes on in the league nowadays, you can't ever have enough good pass rushers. I'd love to have Freeney to chase around Brady twice each year.

Good morning, Bandit.

I've certainly gone thumbs down on suggestions of signing older, big name free agents but having seen the guy play last year, it looks to me like he hasn't slowed down one bit.

When you factor in the fact that we're arguable the worst pass rushing team in the NFL and Freeney's one of the best pass rushers… it's a no-brainer.

IMO, he'd turn a couple of those close losses into wins.

Freeney's a difference maker.

He isnt going to sign an incentive laden contract for anyone, let alone the Bills.

Not that i think Freeney is going anywhere anyway.

He's from NY and did go to Syracuse.

That said, as great of a pass rusher, he is absolutely awful against the run. The Colts were the only team that has had a worse run defense than ours. Obviously, I'd kick the tires around. But I don't like the idea of spending a ton of money on a situational pass rusher who is aging.

The Indianapolis Colts are fielding telephone calls from teams interested in trading for perennial Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney, according to league sources.

The Colts do not necessarily want to part ways with Freeney, but they need the salary-cap space and Freeney has a $19 million cap number this season and is unwilling to restructure his contract, according to sources.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7664912/sources-indianapolis-colts-listening-offers-dwight-freeney

Freeney has a $19 million cap number this season and is unwilling to restructure his contract, according to sources

No, it wouldn't.

We have everywhere from $20-30m of cap space from what I've read...

I'm a bit ignorant of the whole process, but wouldn't his $19m put a really significant dent in our free cap space?

The Colts are also shopping Dallas Clark at TE, a 9 year yet making 8 million a year. He hasn't played a full season in the last 2 years. He could be a good stop gap at TE for 2 years with an option for 3 and he could mentor Chandler. But the Price of say 3-5 Million a year.

This is an intriguing option; I wonder what the Colts would want for him? I think Fitz would greatly benefit from having a TE threats in addition to Chandler. Clark would fit nicely into the spread offense Chan likes to run. He’s probably better than any 4th WR we currently have on the team. Plus he would provide more of a blocking threat for when we do run from the spread, which is quite often. Fitz needs some big bodies to work the middle of the field since he doesn’t have the arm to get the ball down the field. One way or another, we need more receiving threats to take some coverage away from SJ13.

We have everywhere from $20-30m of cap space from what I've read...

I'm a bit ignorant of the whole process, but wouldn't his $19m put a really significant dent in our free cap space?

Not counting the cap space that was rolled over, Buffalo has around $21M in real cash to spend. The only RFAs left to sign are Urbik and Rinehart, which will cost around $2M total.

Assuming they don't re-sign Bell or Bryan Scott, Freeney would take up all of that space. The answer, of course, would be to simply give him a new contract as opposed to restructuring his deal. There are many ways to skin that cat.

Of course, if he is completely unwilling to renegotiate, then that's something you have to take into account as well.

Back to the original topic…Mario Williams would probably only cost a little more than Freeney and is still in his prime so if we’re going to use up a big chunk, if not all of our cap space on a pass rusher, I think it makes more sense to go after him and pass on Freeney.

Not counting the cap space that was rolled over, Buffalo has around $21M in real cash to spend. The only RFAs left to sign are Urbik and Rinehart, which will cost around $2M total.

Assuming they don't re-sign Bell or Bryan Scott, Freeney would take up all of that space. The answer, of course, would be to simply give him a new contract as opposed to restructuring his deal. There are many ways to skin that cat.

Of course, if he is completely unwilling to renegotiate, then that's something you have to take into account as well.

Ah, I see.

I took unwilling to restructure contract as meaning the contract wasn't going to be touched unless he was released.

I think this would be a win win from both a player standpoint and would also pull in more of the Syracuse Market. I would look to restructure contract for 3 years and move a 3rd round pick. Gives our Younger line players time to improve, lets us go O line in first round and de in second. I think he would be a huge pickup.