Controversial question.

Would it really matter to us if all non photosynthesizing life on earth besides humans, pigs, cows and certain bacteria went extinct? Not saying that should be policy, but I can not think of a reason the human race could not carry on.

I suspect that there would be too many variables in play to decide what types of animals/bacteria would need to be saved to ensure hunam survival.

'Prepare for unforeseen consequences' comes to mind.

Fish are unnecessary for human survival and complicate the model too much[what fish? Now we need prey species vs feeding them ourselves]. Chickens I will allow.

Fish are necessary for algae and algae are necessary for human survival. The ecosystem can survive quite a few blows but if a large portion of it were to disappear the prospects for the survival of human life don't wouldn't look good.

I suspect that there would be too many variables in play to decide what types of animals/bacteria would need to be saved to ensure hunam survival.

'Prepare for unforeseen consequences' comes to mind.

Why I said "certain bacteria" They digest our food, after all. The rest? We could live without them.

Fish are necessary for algae and algae are necessary for human survival. The ecosystem can survive quite a few blows but if a large portion of it were to disappear the prospects for the survival of human life don't wouldn't look good.

Fish are necessary for algae? Explain. Algae pre-date fish by two Billion years.

Would it really matter to us if all non photosynthesizing life on earth besides humans, pigs, cows and certain bacteria went extinct? Not saying that should be policy, but I can not think of a reason the human race could not carry on.

Sheep are also highly necessary. You don't want a bunch of horny Scotsmen running amok. That could be a serious threat to human survival.

Edited by Jauronimo

Serious question?

It would knock the global ecosystem on its ass, to the significant detriment of the human race. How, for example, are you going to feed anyone without bees and earthworms?