Rick Santorum: Either dumb or fanatical

John Adams

Here's the Kennedy speech:

"I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute, where no Catholic prelate would tell the president (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference; and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the president who might appoint him or the people who might elect him.

"I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish; where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source; where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials; and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all."

Santorum's reaction

"To say that people of faith have no role in the public square? You bet that makes you throw up. What kind of country do we live that says only people of non-faith can come into the public square and make their case?"

"That makes me throw up and it should make every American who is seen from the president, someone who is now trying to tell people of faith that you will do what the government says, we are going to impose our values on you, not that you can't come to the public square and argue against it, but now we're going to turn around and say we're going to impose our values from the government on people of faith, which of course is the next logical step when people of faith, at least according to John Kennedy, have no role in the public square."

The choices are: Rick is dumb enough to think that Kennedy's 1960 speech was saying that religious people have no role in the public square... or Rick is a religious fanatic and thinks that everyone is out to get him because of it. Both is an acceptable answer, and my guess.

Rick Santorum scares me more than Bush and Obama by 1000 fold.

Edited by John Adams

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dislike JA's aversion to anything religious but I actually agree with him on this.

Every person of religion should relish the fact that there is a division of church and state, and defend it tirelessly.

Santorum has issues not being able to recognize this.

This is ironically exactly what conservatives should want: Less gov't involvement in their lives. So to decry the separation of church and state is ridiculous. It's the one area of our lives which is constitutionally protected from gov't intervention.

Why would you want do away with that and invite Big Gov't into your religion?

Santorum's view on this is a precise reason why he would get clobbered in the general elections, which I disagree with vehemently, and I just hope that the the primary voters realize this before they cast their ballots. I can't stand this sort of ideology.

Having said that Obama's economic and handling the debt policies scares me 1000 times more than Santorum's social stances.

And I just hope the John Stewart/American Idol segment of our population realizes that at the end of the day, it's the economy and the debt that matters more than what this shallow segment of our population obsesses on, which is of course these social issues, oh and if the candidate wears a sweater/vest.

I dislike JA's aversion to anything religious but I actually agree with him on this.

Every person of religion should relish the fact that there is a division of church and state, and defend it tirelessly.

This is ironically exactly what conservatives should want: Less gov't involvement in their lives. So to decry the separation of church and state is ridiculous. It's the one area of our lives which is constitutionally protected from gov't intervention.

I actually agree with this as well (in terms of not agreeing with Santorum's take on church and state). I think Kennedy nailed it. No question. I was just busting JA's chops.

The current Republcian field seem to want less government in our lives, as it pertains to taxes and social programs... but, don't really seem to have an issue with sticking their noses in our personal business. It cracks me up how they continue to hold up this facade that Obama is a "snob" and "knows better than everyone else"...

Edited by Buftex

The current Republcian field seem to want less government in our lives, as it pertains to taxes and social programs... but, don't really seem to have an issue with sticking their noses in our personal business. It cracks me up how they continue to hold up this facade that Obama is a "snob" and "knows better than everyone else"...

It's pretty hypocritical of Santorum to make that point. Every day I see him talk, I like him less and less.

Do Romney, Gingrich and Paul fall in this category?

Santorum's view on this is a precise reason why he would get clobbered in the general elections, which I disagree with vehemently, and I just hope that the the primary voters realize this before they cast their ballots.

Santorum has no chance to beat Barry. Romney, ironically enough, is being helped by Santorum when he says "he's not conservative enough."

Santorum has no chance to beat Barry. Romney, ironically enough, is being helped by Santorum when he says "he's not conservative enough."

Without a doubt, and Santorum complains "The media only wants to talk about this issue when they speak with me"

Well then stop talking about it on your stump speeches you dip ****!

But, that's his plan. He wants to pit the media vs his social conservatives. He knows much like Gingrich that the hard right get riled up on this issue, so Even though he is talking about social issues, he tells the very same people hes campaigning to that its the lefts obsession that they want to concentrate on these issues, EVEN THOUGH He's stumping on it! And the sad part is that these people he's campaigning to, are believing it. :wallbash:

Having said that Obama's economic and handling the debt policies scares me 1000 times more than Santorum's social stances.

And I just hope the John Stewart/American Idol segment of our population realizes that at the end of the day, it's the economy and the debt that matters more than what this shallow segment of our population obsesses on, which is of course these social issues, oh and if the candidate wears a sweater/vest.

To your first point: That's why I could live with Romney. I have some (not a lot) faith in his ability to steer us economically, and am guessing that his social conservatism is watered down enough that he won't do that much harm.

Santorum on the other hand, is a complete zealot on social conservative issues--not just a guy with some beliefs--but an unabashed religious firebrand who admits to wanting to stamp the country in his image. I do not trust him with the reigns of power and even setting that aside, he's got a fair amount of baggage that I'm not sure I could trust what he espouses as his fiscal conservatism either. He was a friend to earmarks of all sorts. He contributed to the overspending problem as much as any senator. President Santorum gives me nightmares.

Edited by John Adams

Here's the Kennedy speech:

Santorum's reaction

The choices are: Rick is dumb enough to think that Kennedy's 1960 speech was saying that religious people have no role in the public square... or Rick is a religious fanatic and thinks that everyone is out to get him because of it. Both is an acceptable answer, and my guess.

Rick Santorum scares me more than Bush and Obama by 1000 fold.

maybe he's both. compare the syntax and sentence structure of the 2 men. one is eloquent, the other barely decipherable.

I haven't followed the current Republitard "process" much since it started but I finally got to see Santorum open his mouth. Dear God, is that really who you partisan idiots are going to have as your nominee?

Dude is certifiable.

He won't be nominated. And at least we know what he is before he gets elected.

Without a doubt, and Santorum complains "The media only wants to talk about this issue when they speak with me"

Well then stop talking about it on your stump speeches you dip ****!

But, that's his plan. He wants to pit the media vs his social conservatives. He knows much like Gingrich that the hard right get riled up on this issue, so Even though he is talking about social issues, he tells the very same people hes campaigning to that its the lefts obsession that they want to concentrate on these issues, EVEN THOUGH He's stumping on it! And the sad part is that these people he's campaigning to, are believing it. :wallbash:

I can only assume he's trying to be as right as he can, thinking that will rile cons up enough to get him the nom. It's working to an extent. But if he gets the nom, it's winning the battle but losing the war.

What a weird choice of words and effort by Santorum..... I had a hard time seeing his point, nothing in that speech indicates barring people of faith from anyting..... he also sounded like a doof with when he went into his diatribe about BHO being elitist about wanting every child to have the opportunity to go to college... I mean we are falling behind educationaly (Yes, America, the greatest country in the world)and Rick is worried about those Liberal Brainwashing College professors? If faith is important go to a Catholic College.... what a bozo statement.

I still maintain Gingrich and Paul are the best candidates in that field... Romney is not very conservative and Santorum, well, did that interview on Meet the Press.... yikes....

PS- I do not believe it is the Governments role to fund and guarantee college for every American... however, I do think aspiring to such a lofty goal is admirable....

Edited by B-Large

What a weird choice of words and effort by Santorum..... I had a hard time seeing his point, nothing in that speech indicates barring people of faith from anyting..... he also sounded like a doof with when he went into his diatribe about BHO being elitist about wanting every child to have the opportunity to go to college... I mean we are falling behind educationaly (Yes, America, the greatest country in the world)and Rick is worried about those Liberal Brainwashing College professors? If faith is important go to a Catholic College.... what a bozo statement.

I still maintain Gingrich and Paul are the best candidates in that field... Romney is not very conservative and Santorum, well, did that interview on Meet the Press.... yikes....

PS- I do not believe it is the Governments role to fund and guarantee college for every American... however, I do think aspiring to such a lofty goal is admirable....

Funny, when Santorum made the "elitest" comment (IR to Obama's "college for every American" aspition) his reasoning sounded dangerously close to the arguments that Democrats use in justifying certain social programs: "not everyone has the same opportunities, and not everyone has the same capabilities". I give Santorum credit for sticking to his guns, but the guy seems to be living in another world.

Funny, when Santorum made the "elitest" comment (IR to Obama's "college for every American" aspition) his reasoning sounded dangerously close to the arguments that Democrats use in justifying certain social programs: "not everyone has the same opportunities, and not everyone has the same capabilities". I give Santorum credit for sticking to his guns, but the guy seems to be living in another world.

He seems disconnected, or like others said trying to look as conservative as possible..... but most true constitutional conservatives would raise a brow at his statements, understanding the USG leaves the Church alone and the Church stays out of direct USG affairs (constitutionally enumerated powers).... I have to stay I don't agree with all of his policies, but Chris Christie has to be one of the better considates the GOP has waiting on the sidelines... he is smart, and does not say to many things that make you go "hmmmmm"...

George Will had some great input this week at the roundtable......

I still maintain Gingrich and Paul are the best candidates in that field... Romney is not very conservative

Best "candidates" for who? For those that have narrow definitions of what "conservatives" should mean? Or best "candidate" out of the lot to run the country?

He seems disconnected, or like others said trying to look as conservative as possible..... but most true constitutional conservatives would raise a brow at his statements, understanding the USG leaves the Church alone and the Church stays out of direct USG affairs (constitutionally enumerated powers).... I have to stay I don't agree with all of his policies, but Chris Christie has to be one of the better considates the GOP has waiting on the sidelines... he is smart, and does not say to many things that make you go "hmmmmm"...

George Will had some great input this week at the roundtable......

Christie may be what conservatives want...and he may be bright (I think he is), but he keeps leavig the impression of being a little thin skined (no joke intended),defensive, with a quick temper. That appeals to some, but turns some off as well.

Edited by Buftex