Bills won't rule out using franchise tag on Stevie

Doc

Contrary to previous reports, Nix and Whaley today stated that they won't rule out using the franchise tag to retain Stevie. Whether a negotiating ploy or real sentiment, it's better than hearing them say they definitely wouldn't.

Contrary to previous reports, Nix and Whaley today stated that they won't rule out using the franchise tag to retain Stevie. Whether a negotiating ploy or real sentiment, it's better than hearing them say they definitely wouldn't.

That's good news. I feel they SHOULD tag him if they have to. Even if they can't come to agreement at least that'll give us a chance to get something for him. Back to back 1000 yard seasons . Might be able to get a first for him, or an early second. bottom line whatever they get, just don't let him walk for nothing.

previous reports indicated that Stevie Johnson didn't expect the Bills to use franchise tag. the Bills have never said what their intentions were until today.

and, in fact, the Bills still have said whether they will in fact use it.

jw

He's reportedly asking for LESS money than it would cost to franchise him. I don't understand why the deal isn't done.

I'm sure they don't want to pay him the 9mil plus by franchise tagging him.. But they probably feel that if its between that and letting him walk they will go with the lesser of two evils.

A lot can happen in a season.

Did they say this in a tv interview? Or was it a published report? Thanks in advance.

Buddy kind of called out the writer, I believe he said " I wish he would tell me what else we are going to do "

previous reports indicated that Stevie Johnson didn't expect the Bills to use franchise tag. the Bills have never said what their intentions were until today.

and, in fact, the Bills still have said whether they will in fact use it.

jw

Mr Wawrow, either way he kind of hung you out to dry . Do you feel a little used by your source ?

Why would they make a definitive statement either way at this point?

Why indeed?

And by saying they haven't ruled it out, they didn't say anything definitively so kudos to them.

I'm getting very excited about free agency starting in 18 days.

For some strange reason I have confidence in this front office, the 2010 draft notwithstanding.

Buddy kind of called out the writer, I believe he said " I wish he would tell me what else we are going to do "

Mr Wawrow, either way he kind of hung you out to dry . Do you feel a little used by your source ?

Man, really?? You've got to make this personal? Could you possibly cut the guy a damn break?? For Jesus Friggen Christ, let man do his job to the best of his ability and allow those who supervise his work do THEIR job! Just comment on the BILLS and what's happening and leave the personal **** out of it!

Mr. Wawrow, sorry for all the flack you get for posting here. I respect Tim Graham's reasons for no longer coming to this forum as he was poorly treated and verbally abused by those who couldn't spell journalism let alone know what it means to questions a journalist's integrity...appreciate it.

As to the original reason for the post: I've been saying since the off-season started, the BILLS SHOULD Tag Stevie for a couple reasons - 1) because SJ needs to demonstrate on field maturity during a game to EARN the long-term contract and 2) to demonstrate he will continue to play at the level which demands a significant contract....

Someone posted earlier that SJ is asking for less than the Tag amount it would cost the BILLS this year and why not get a deal done...to me it's simple: let SJ prove he's a man of his word and exhibit the type of leadership behavior a Coach and GM would require of a Franchise WR based upon actual actions during and after a game. I like SJ, I really do and I sincerely hope the BILLS keep him in one way or another, but I believe the Tag is their best option this year. If he proves he can play, and NOT cost his team frivolous penalties, THEN pay him via a long-term deal and show how a team rewards productivity on the field along with a mature professional attitude during the game. He's earned respect based upon 2 good years of playing, but now he needs to earn the respect of a true leader and that comes with doing the "right" thing which I believe he wants to do, but now he needs to actually do it....

No one ever reported that the Bills were not going to use the franchise tag on Stevie.

The earlier report was that Stevie didn't expect that the Bills would franchise tag him.

Do you get it or should I type it again a bit more slowly?

I'm sure they don't want to pay him the 9mil plus by franchise tagging him.. But they probably feel that if its between that and letting him walk they will go with the lesser of two evils.

A lot can happen in a season.

Did they say this in a tv interview? Or was it a published report? Thanks in advance.

How can they afford to sign their draft picks if they franchise Stevie?

Thanks in advance. :devil:

No one ever reported that the Bills were not going to use the franchise tag on Stevie.

The earlier report was that Stevie didn't expect that the Bills would franchise tag him.

Do you get it or should I type it again a bit more slowly?

please type sloooower jackass,

How can they afford to sign their draft picks if they franchise Stevie?

Thanks in advance. :devil:

Im not sure what youre trying to say/point out/get at.

The cap hit on last years rooks was just under $10 mil

The franchise tag on wr this year is just under $10 mil

Bills have well over that in cap space- even when you factor in their cash to cap system.

Ok....I'll be THAT guy.

Stevie is not worth the average salary of the top 5 receivers. :bag:

I'm still trying to validate him as a legit #1 receiver in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong, I very much want him resigned, but not at that money.

Did I say that out loud?