Should this surprise anyone?

AS you all know, I am not an economics major. That said, I laugh at all these projections. Do they account for technology shifts, bubbles, natural disasters and the rest of the world's economy?

It is nice to look at models to tell us what would happen if all things are equal, but things won't be equal. So who cares about those models.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS you all know, I am not an economics major. That said, I laugh at all these projections. Do they account for technology shifts, bubbles, natural disasters and the rest of the world's economy?

It is nice to look at models to tell us what would happen if all things are equal, but things won't be equal. So who cares about those models.

So you can attempt to estimate...

No way. There is no way Obama's budgets will be worse than the Republicans. If you wack tax revenue coming into the government the budgets will simply increase. Reagan and Bush already proved that. I'll simply let history be my guide on that point. You acn appreaciate that, can't you Professor Military Historian?

OMG :doh::lol:

I understand that- but if you vote for someone based on this estimate and that estimate turns into garbage, because it left no money for something unforseen, then, where are you?

Dude, either say something or just don't say anything at all. I don't know if I've ever seen someone say nothing as frequent as you do. Really

I understand that- but if you vote for someone based on this estimate and that estimate turns into garbage, because it left no money for something unforseen, then, where are you?

You don't have to take the estimate blindly and push a button. That's what intelligence is for.

Dude, either say something or just don't say anything at all. I don't know if I've ever seen someone say nothing as frequent as you do. Really

Edited by meazza

OMG :doh::lol:

I was just saying that they projections don't mean anything- from either side. These plans are not implemented in a vacuum.

You don't have to take the estimate blindly and push a button. That's what intelligence is for.

[/size][/color]

Yes, but who has that, now-a-days.......I keep thinking that I am going to wake up to a press conference announcing that the primary was joke a joke and that Jeb Bush is the republican candidate.

Edited by Adam

I was just saying that they projections don't mean anything- from either side. These plans are not implemented in a vacuum.

Yes, but who has that, now-a-days.......I keep thinking that I am going to wake up to a press conference announcing that the primary was joke a joke and that Jeb Bush is the republican candidate.

How would you feel about that?

How would you feel about that?

I don't know a ton about him, but he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders and all of my friends and families (both democrats and republicans) in Florida rarely complained and often praised him. I think he seems much better than this group. Unless he did run, I wouldn't bother researching him, but my guess is that I would vote for him over President Obama

I don't know a ton about him, but he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders and all of my friends and families (both democrats and republicans) in Florida rarely complained and often praised him. I think he seems much better than this group. Unless he did run, I wouldn't bother researching him, but my guess is that I would vote for him over President Obama

Interesting. May be a dark horse.

Should this surprise anyone? (part deux)

Obama administration warns of "Weapons of Mass Destruction"

State Department quietly warning region on Syrian WMDs

Posted By Josh Rogin, February 24, 2012

The State Department has begun coordinating with Syria's neighbors to prepare for the handling of President Bashar al-Assad's extensive weapons of mass destruction if and when his regime collapses, The Cable has learned.

This week, the State Department sent a diplomatic demarche to Syria's neighbors Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Saudi Arabia, warning them about the possibility of Syria's WMDs crossing their borders and offering U.S. government help in dealing with the problem, three Obama administration officials confirmed to The Cable. For concerned parties both inside and outside the U.S. government, the demarche signifies that the United States is increasingly developing plans to deal with the dangers of a post-Assad Syria -- while simultaneously highlighting the lack of planning for how to directly bring about Assad's downfall.

Syria is believed to have a substantial chemical weapons program, which includes mustard gas and sophisticated nerve agents, such as sarin gas, as well as biological weapons. Syria has also refused IAEA requests to make available facilities that were part of its nuclear weapons program and may still be in operation.

The State Department declined to provide access to any officials to discuss the private diplomatic communication on the record, such as the author of the demarche Assistant Secretary of State for International Security and Nonproliferation Tom Countryman. In a meeting with reporters earlier this year, Countryman expressed confidence that the United States knows where Syria's WMD stockpiles are, but warned that they could become a very serious security issue for Syria and the region going forward.

"We have ideas as to the quantity and we have ideas as to where they are," Countryman said. "We wish some of the neighbors of Syria to be on the lookout... When you get a change of regime in Syria, it matters what are the conditions -- chaotic or orderly."

Today, in response to inquiries from The Cable, a State Department official offered the following statement:

"The U.S. and our allies are monitoring Syria's chemical weapons stockpile. These weapons' presence in Syria undermines peace and security in the Middle East, and we have long called on the Syrian government to destroy its chemicals weapons arsenal and join the Chemical Weapons Convention," the State Department official said. "We believe Syria's chemical weapons stockpile remains under Syrian government control, and we will continue to work closely with like-minded countries to prevent proliferation of Syria's chemical weapons program."

{snip}

In addition to the danger of proliferation, there is a concern that Assad could actually use his WMDs if his situation becomes desperate.

"The WMD program is in play now, and that's important because it highlights the innate danger that the existence of this regime poses to U.S. security and regional interests," the administration official said. "[The demarche] puts Syria's neighbors on notice and it reflects the recognition that a dangerous Assad regime is willing to do anything to save its own skin. If they are willing to kill the country to save the regime, they might be willing to do a great deal more damage throughout the region."

Foreign Policy

That's what I was saying in my prior post. We can look at what the debt will be in 2021 based on if every thing stays exactly the same. However as the economy changes, both the world and at home, so will the CBO's models.

That's what I was saying in my prior post. We can look at what the debt will be in 2021 based on if every thing stays exactly the same. However as the economy changes, both the world and at home, so will the CBO's models.

Of course it will, the CBO projections are based on current policy and if things moved ahead according to plan, which they won't of course, odds are the debt will be much worse than the CBO projects. FYI, so far the debt has been worse than the CBO has projected every year since the president has been in office.

Of course it will, the CBO projections are based on current policy and if things moved ahead according to plan, which they won't of course, odds are the debt will be much worse than the CBO projects. FYI, so far the debt has been worse than the CBO has projected every year since the president has been in office.

Leave him alone. He's another partisan hack that needs to desperately cling to his pariah, no matter the consequences.

So DiN posts another partisan shill thread. The sun also rises

He gets the obvious repsonses that he's a moron. Which he is

There is discussion that Romney/Santorum/Gingrich plans are worthless, which they are

I post a quote about Ron Paul's plan, no response

There are BushBad! responses

There are ObamaBad! responses

There are no responses about Ron Paul's proposal.

The one candidate from either party who actually comes up with something more involved than a 15 second soundbyte is totally ignored

Leave him alone. He's another partisan hack that needs to desperately cling to his pariah, no matter the consequences.

Wow, you don't think Maggox isn't another partisan hack? Really? He's a Romneyoid

Well, at least he has the guts of his convictions to actually support and defend someone and something, unlike you who just wants to b-itch and moan

So DiN posts another partisan shill thread. The sun also rises

He gets the obvious repsonses that he's a moron. Which he is

There is discussion that Romney/Santorum/Gingrich plans are worthless, which they are

I post a quote about Ron Paul's plan, no response

There are BushBad! responses

There are ObamaBad! responses

There are no responses about Ron Paul's proposal.

The one candidate from either party who actually comes up with something more involved than a 15 second soundbyte is totally ignored

So you wish to shill for Paul and no one cares. Ok, now go play in traffic