The Next Financial Crisis

Chef Jim

So if there's a crisis, it's obviously her fault. Let's ignore the fact that banks continued lending her money even though that level of debt has an unrealistic chance of payback; but, hey, it's guaranteed by the government, so who cares about risk...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So if there's a crisis, it's obviously her fault. Let's ignore the fact that banks continued lending her money even though that level of debt has an unrealistic chance of payback; but, hey, it's guaranteed by the government, so who cares about risk...

Where the !@#$ did anyone say it was all her fault? But she is by far at the top of the list. The banks aren't expected to tell her: Hey! Get a !@#$ing job!!!

Research is probably a tighter job market than clinical work. If she's in research, and just got her degree, she's probably being offered a post-doc position, in which case she's probably lucky to get $40k (and in which case her MBA's not worth a whole lot, either.)

And all that indicates a decision-making paradigm bad enough that she's probably not even worth $40k, either.

I dismiss anyone who uses the word "paradigm" immediately as showing off their education. I prefer "scatter brained broad"

How can 'banks' be at the top of your list when it's clearly and obviously 'government' and the woman that are the problem? There is no risk when it's guaranteed by the gov't -- the banks are simply doing *exactly* what the gov't is trying to get them to do! Yet you place the blame with the banks first and foremost! I just don't get it.

I mean, let's play this out: Do you think this woman would have gotten +$400K if the loans WEREN'T guaranteed by the gov't? Is it really your position that the banks just don't 'understand' the risks here?

Edited by jjamie12

WTF kind of idiocy is that??? This post reminds me of when I was 7 and got a goldfish and someone told me "don't feed them too much because they will eat themselves to death because they are that stupid".

The liberal utopia: Zero-responsibility expected from the citizenry.

How can 'banks' be at the top of your list when it's clearly and obviously 'government' and the woman that are the problem? There is no risk when it's guaranteed by the gov't -- the banks are simply doing *exactly* what the gov't is trying to get them to do! Yet you place the blame with the banks first and foremost! I just don't get it.

I mean, let's play this out: Do you think this woman would have gotten +$400K if the loans WEREN'T guaranteed by the gov't? Is it really your position that the banks just don't 'understand' the risks here?

It's the CRA all over again.

WTF kind of idiocy is that??? This post reminds me of when I was 7 and got a goldfish and someone told me "don't feed them too much because they will eat themselves to death because they are that stupid".

The liberal utopia: Zero-responsibility expected from the citizenry.

What? You don't see how this woman is the victim in all of this? :lol:

I don't know about about this women's particular case but I do know that college tuition has increased about 4x the rate of inflation for maybe the past 40-50 years. Just to show an example from my family, my sister who went to college about ten years earlier than me had a total tuition equal to about 2/3 her first year pay- my total tuition was about equal to my first year pay- my nephew going to school about 30 years after me will have a total tuition which will be between 5-7 times his expected first year pay, these are not disparate degrees I'm comparing but degrees in medicine and education from which you'd expect a solid middle-class income.

Edited by ....lybob

I don't know about about this women's particular case but I do know that college tuition has increased about 4x the rate of inflation for maybe the past 40-50 years. Just to show an example from my family, my sister who went to college about ten years earlier than me had a total tuition equal to about 2/3 her first year pay- my total tuition was about equal to my first year pay- my nephew going to school about 30 years after me will have a total tuition which will be between 5-7 times his expected first year pay, these are not disparate degrees I'm comparing but degrees in medicine and education from which you'd expect a solid middle-class income.

Yup; which is why people should be putting that $100 every month into a 529 plan instead of sending it to Verizon so they can have the unlimited text and data plan. Ditto for a dozen other luxeries that people somehow lived without 40 years ago when tuition was so cheap.

This is certainly part of the problem. I have an easy solution to this: more online classes for which you charge a lot less. Basically, recirculate lectures and pay the professors to grade and answer student emails.

The undergrad classes I've taught could have been given for 300 or 30000 students and I only updated my lectures when needed. The only problem with the larger class is grading if the classes are written papers or problem solving (engineering).

Edited by John Adams

Currently reading The storm of war by Andrew Roberts. Yes I know you could have done it better. Us hicks just don't know real much about fancy talk.

****-ass "What if/How the Germans Could Have One" book masquerading as history. It's not that I could do better so much as I wouldn't even bother.

Read Tooze, The Wages Of Destruction, if you want a new and real analysis of the war.

Yup; which is why people should be putting that $100 every month into a 529 plan instead of sending it to Verizon so they can have the unlimited text and data plan. Ditto for a dozen other luxeries that people somehow lived without 40 years ago when tuition was so cheap.

Not that this is your point, but 100/month won't get you far. In PA, Penn State costs 15,000/year and that's just tuition. Drop in 8K for room and board and you're talking about 80K for a state school undergraduate degree, which won't get you far unless you're an engineer.

Edited by John Adams

Just like it's McDonalds fault that people are getting fat :rolleyes:

Not that this is your point, but 100/month won't get you far. In PA, Penn State costs 15,000/year and that's just tuition. Drop in 8K for room and board and you're talking about 80K for a state school undergraduate degree, which won't get you far unless you're an engineer.

Actually, if you start saving for your kids' education at birth, $100/month for 18 years at 5% return will get you about $35K. Yes, college is expensive, but my point is the average person in our current society is grossly irresponsible about their own (and their childrens') financial future. People cry poverty yet eat out in restaurants all the time or fork over $4 for a cup of coffee because "I like Starbucks". Just incredible.

Just like it's McDonalds fault that people are getting fat :rolleyes:

But what are the fat people supposed to do? McDonalds keeps selling them hamburgers!!!

[/TPS]

Edited by KD in CT