Edwards, Dwan... should be cut?

95altima12

http://www.nyjetscap.com/Bills/bills2012.php

This site says that we can save over 4 mil on the cap if we cut him and he does not fit the Bills new D atleast that's what billsdaily says:

"Defensive Changes Hurts Some Players: The change to the 4-3 defensive will help some players but hurt others. Dave Wannstedt said in yesterday's press conference that the team wants defensive linemen that can rush the passer and lighter, faster linebackers. He said he doesn't want one dimensional type players that can play the run but not get pressure on the quarterback. This does not bode well for Alex Carrington and Dwan Edwards. Edwards is a prototypical 3-4 defensive end and doesn't have the pass rushing ability to be a 4-3 end. Carrington went back and forth between end and linebacker in the 3-4 but doesn't seem to fit the new scheme as well."

Carrington might not fit the D as well but I can see them keeping him around for depth cuz he is cheep and young.

Does this make sense or am I wrong about this? That 4 mil for Edwards would be nice to use on FAs.

Example: Lets say if the Bills cut Edwards, McGee, Spencer Johnson, Merriman & Thigpen!

They could save almost $17 million and have close to 40 million to work with in free agency

I posted anothee thread about Merriman. Do we really save over 5 mil in CAP on him? Isn't that a no brainer to cut him as well. Even though I like him.

I agree with the rest of your list except Johnson I can see him cut but that is just another hoel to fill. Thigpen was horilble all year... in Camp, preseason and in the season. 2 mil Cap i;d cut him. We have plenty of picks this year to use on a backup QB.

He's a victim of moving to the 40 front, in that he's best served as a 5 technique. Sure, he played DT in Baltimore some years ago, but there's a price to changing defenses despite what some believe. Edwards won't be paid what's in his contract for 2012 to be a backup. Buffalo isn't keen on having depth in certain places aside from younger, less costly players.

If we sign Routt, I think McKelvin is gone, too.

i doubt McKelvin gets cut especially after the way he was returning kicks at the end of the year

I think he is a decent slot corner and can thrive as the nickel/dime CB and primary kick returner

If we sign Routt, I think McKelvin is gone, too.

Looking at the numbers I thinks McGee, and Dwan Edwards are likely to be cut. I disagree with Spencer Johnson, though. He certainly could be cut, but I think they may keep him around, he seems to be a bit more fluid and athletic than Dwan Edwards so if one gets kept it's definitely Spencer Johnson, IMO. Johnsons contract expires after this year as well so even if he's just a role player or backup his contract is off the books after the season, and he would factor in as a FA lost which could result in a compensatory pick. I know it seems pretty minute, but those compensatory picks can always turn into a Jason Peters, Demetrius Bell or Stevie Johnson, so it's fairly big IMO.

Dwan Edwards on the other hand has 2 years remaining on his contract, so cutting him makes sense.

In response to the post suggesting Thigpen be released. I'm not a believer in Thigpen, he looked bad last year, but I'd be surprised if the Bills parted with him after just one season. He'll stick around for at least another year.

Edited by Estro

I posted anothee thread about Merriman. Do we really save over 5 mil in CAP on him? Isn't that a no brainer to cut him as well. Even though I like him.

I agree with the rest of your list except Johnson I can see him cut but that is just another hoel to fill. Thigpen was horilble all year... in Camp, preseason and in the season. 2 mil Cap i;d cut him. We have plenty of picks this year to use on a backup QB.

Last time I checked, I think the Bills save 4.3 million if they cut him

Edit: it's 2.2 million in dead money, cutting Shawne would free up 3 - 3.5 million in cap space in 2012!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Dwan Edwards is probably going to be cut but Spencer Johnson will get to compete for a DT position with Heard, Troup, and Jay Ross plus any draft picks or FAs brought in - every 4-3 team keeps a different mix of players but for example the Giants had

DL-9

LBs-7

DBs- 9

This site says that we can save over 4 mil on the cap if we cut him and he does not fit the Bills new D atleast that's what billsdaily says:

"Defensive Changes Hurts Some Players: The change to the 4-3 defensive will help some players but hurt others. Dave Wannstedt said in yesterday's press conference that the team wants defensive linemen that can rush the passer and lighter, faster linebackers. He said he doesn't want one dimensional type players that can play the run but not get pressure on the quarterback. This does not bode well for Alex Carrington and Dwan Edwards. Edwards is a prototypical 3-4 defensive end and doesn't have the pass rushing ability to be a 4-3 end. Carrington went back and forth between end and linebacker in the 3-4 but doesn't seem to fit the new scheme as well."

Carrington might not fit the D as well but I can see them keeping him around for depth cuz he is cheep and young.

Does this make sense or am I wrong about this? That 4 mil for Edwards would be nice to use on FAs.

Carrington had 21.5 sacks as a 4-3 DE in college.

1329493885[/url]' post='2384763']

Edwards, Spencer Johnson and McGee are def gone in my opinion

Carrington will prob stay since he is young and at worst can provide depth

I think Spencer Johnson definitely stays and plays a big role as depth. I like him as a backup DT in the 4-3.

Yes but I would wait until that 4 mil takes effect or we get his replacement.

this

and wanny made a point of using big DL. that includes DEs.

and i like that. old-school 4-3 so to say. no tampa 2.

:thumbsup:

Example: Lets say if the Bills cut Edwards, McGee, Spencer Johnson, Merriman & Thigpen!

They could save almost $17 million and have close to 40 million to work with in free agency

Do it!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i doubt McKelvin gets cut especially after the way he was returning kicks at the end of the year

I think he is a decent slot corner and can thrive as the nickel/dime CB and primary kick returner

Even in the nickel/dime role, I'm not really liking a 5-10, 184-lb CB against a lot of those big WRs.

Looking at the numbers I thinks McGee, and Dwan Edwards are likely to be cut. I disagree with Spencer Johnson, though. He certainly could be cut, but I think they may keep him around, he seems to be a bit more fluid and athletic than Dwan Edwards so if one gets kept it's definitely Spencer Johnson, IMO. Johnsons contract expires after this year as well so even if he's just a role player or backup his contract is off the books after the season, and he would factor in as a FA lost which could result in a compensatory pick. I know it seems pretty minute, but those compensatory picks can always turn into a Jason Peters, Demetrius Bell or Stevie Johnson, so it's fairly big IMO.

Dwan Edwards on the other hand has 2 years remaining on his contract, so cutting him makes sense.

In response to the post suggesting Thigpen be released. I'm not a believer in Thigpen, he looked bad last year, but I'd be surprised if the Bills parted with him after just one season. He'll stick around for at least another year.

I think our backup DTs will end up being Troupe and Heard. If Troupe comes back healthy, that's a young, inexpensive pair or reserves.