CJ Spiller wants to be a starter

Justice

Not the first time I have seen Spiller referred to as not being too smart. I could have sworn, when he was drafted, he was described as very bright, and a straight-A student at Clemson...for what that is worth.

No offense to anyone but isn't being a straight A student at Clemson kind of like being the smartest man in Canada?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could CJ Spiller be a problem if he isn't the starter in 2012, like this article suggests? Personally, I don't think so. He's never been a troublemaker in the past and I don't believe he'll become one now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/10/jackson-may-get-extension-but-spiller-wants-to-start/

I would be more concerned if CJ DID NOT want to be a starter....a young man who is drafted to be in the NFL (#9 overall at that) should have the passion to be on the field every play he possibly can be and have a strong and relentless desire to contribute in any way he is able to a win!! If he was apathetic toward his playing status, I would think he's more suited for a back-up or complimentary role....because HE thinks so....and to your second point, CJ has had a very "team first" approach, which I think is fantastic and necessary, and you're right I don't believe that would change at this point. However, if in 2 years CJ continues to be productive and or become a phenomenal runner and he's still playing second fiddle to Freddie J, then I think the BILLS run into an issue of keeping him when he becomes a FA...however, time will tel

Not the first time I have seen Spiller referred to as not being too smart. I could have sworn, when he was drafted, he was described as very bright, and a straight-A student at Clemson...for what that is worth.

It's strange. He did poorly on his Wonderlic, but was on the honor roll in HS and graduated from Clemson a semester early.

It's strange. He did poorly on his Wonderlic, but was on the honor roll in HS and graduated from Clemson a semester early.

There are a few explanations ranging from he was a star athlete pushed through the system to possibly he's very smart but has some sort of learning challenge that was showcased in the test setting.

Gifted athlete of (ahem) modest intelligence being advanced through school? Strange indeed.

He graduated Clemson early because they ran out of gut courses for him to take in sociology. Worst wonderlic of all rookkies his year.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Gifted athlete of (ahem) modest intelligent being advanced through school? Strange indeed.

He graduated Clemson early because they ran out of gut courses for him to take in sociology. Worst wonderlic of all rookkies his year.

There's a difference between merely advancing through school (which is commonplace I realize), and being on the honor roll and graduating early. How many players taking easy majors have graduated early?

Perhaps he is dumb. Doesn't mean he can't play in the NFL.

There's a difference between merely advancing through school (which is commonplace I realize), and being on the honor roll and graduating early. How many players taking easy majors have graduated early?

Yeah I`ve seen alot of smart football players that sux.

It really doesn't matter when top athletes with easy majors graduate. Most of them don't bother. Spiller stayed an extra semester because his soph and junior rushing numbers weren't impressive. But yeah he's smart enough to play RB in the NFL--not a lot to learn at that spot.

Edited by Mr. WEO

EVERY down: two backs, three wide.

Sub in a TE and Cory Mac as needed. Split CJ/Fred wide as needed, but ALWAYS have them on the field together.

Imagine: every down: Vincent Jackson, Stevie, CJ and Freddie have to be accounted for in one way or another.

The big problem with this is that if your offense is based on both CJ and Freddie being in at the same time, they are in serious trouble if one of them goes down with an injury. It's not like receivers were you can plug and play them. Each back (since they both have distinct and different styles) would have to have a suitable backup that would ensure that the offense doesn't miss a beat. So that would mean the Bills would carry four backs? Two slashers and two pounders?

In theory it sounds great, but in practice the Bills would be foolish to make that their base offense because of the risk of injury totally screwing the base offense and having the Bills changing tracks in season.

Could CJ Spiller be a problem if he isn't the starter in 2012, like this article suggests? Personally, I don't think so. He's never been a troublemaker in the past and I don't believe he'll become one now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/10/jackson-may-get-extension-but-spiller-wants-to-start/

No big deal. EVERYBODY on the team wants to be the starter at their position.