Man wins $50,000 on Tom Brady’s safety

papazoid

A safety is a rare play in any game, but for it to happen in the Super Bowl as the first score of the game? No one would expect that to happen. No one would lay a bet on something so unlikely, right?

Wrong. Jona Rechnitz bet $1,000 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas that the first score of the game would be a Giants safety. With 50-to-1 odds on such an unlikely score, Rechnitz is walking away from Las Vegas with a $50,000 pay day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/man-wins-50-000-tom-brady-safety-155056494.html

A safety is a rare play in any game, but for it to happen in the Super Bowl as the first score of the game? No one would expect that to happen. No one would lay a bet on something so unlikely, right?

Wrong. Jona Rechnitz bet $1,000 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas that the first score of the game would be a Giants safety. With 50-to-1 odds on such an unlikely score, Rechnitz is walking away from Las Vegas with a $50,000 pay day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/man-wins-50-000-tom-brady-safety-155056494.html

The group i was with was wondering what that line was?

it really doesnt seem like that much when you consider the odds of that happening. 50-1 seems doesnt strike me as 1000 -1, which i feel is more realistic. a safety on the first play?? only 50-1??

Not the first play, the bet was the first score would be a NY safety.

Edited by CodeMonkey

it really doesnt seem like that much when you consider the odds of that happening. 50-1 seems doesnt strike me as 1000 -1, which i feel is more realistic. a safety on the first play?? only 50-1??

The bet wasn't a safety on the first play, it was a safety as the first scoring play of the game. Pretty big difference.

And it's now happened twice in 46 Super Bowls, so 1000-1 is a little ridiculous.

Edited by KD in CT

I agree, 50-1 seems low. 100-1, or 1000-1 seems much more like it.

The bet wasn't a safety on the first play, it was a safety as the first scoring play of the game. Pretty big difference.

And it's now happened twice in 46 Super Bowls, so 1000-1 is a little ridiculous.

ok then! i guess i jumped the gun, but i still think the first score being a safety deserves better odds than 50-1.

And a Giants safety at that - a Pats safety is a loser on that bet. Very roughly speaking, let's say a team has one safety per season (1/16 safeties per game) and two TDs and two FGs per game. So 1/65 of your scores are safeties. Cut it in half because there are two teams, I get 1 in 130 odds for a bet that paid 50:1. Not a strong play.

ok then! i guess i jumped the gun, but i still think the first score being a safety deserves better odds than 50-1.

Sure, but Vegas is never going to pay true odds (assuming they were even possible to calculate) on such a long shot bet. There's no point; no one is going to say "Hmmm....I'd take that bet at 75:1 but not 50:1". If you are into taking crazy long shot bets, than you play it, simple as that.

That's why almost every team in the NFL is listed as a 50-1 or better shot to win next year's Super Bowl. Do the Bills really have a 50-1 shot? Of course not. But Bills fans are still going to bet it.

He put a thousand on that? How much money does this guy have?

that was my thought exactly...if he can afford to wager 1000 on something he assumed he would lose then 50k prob isnt a big deal to him

Edited by Max997

Rechnitz owns a capital investment firm in Manhattan. He told the entertainment website that he only makes one Super Bowl bet per year.

TMZ reports that Rechnitz plans to donate all the post-tax money to various charities, including one of Tom Brady's choice. He also hopes to donate $5,000 to a charity selected by Justin Tuck, the Giants defender whose pass rush forced Brady to make his illegal throw downfield.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/giants-fan-won-50-000-super-bowl-safety-191343682.html

Sure, but Vegas is never going to pay true odds (assuming they were even possible to calculate) on such a long shot bet. There's no point; no one is going to say "Hmmm....I'd take that bet at 75:1 but not 50:1". If you are into taking crazy long shot bets, than you play it, simple as that.

That's why almost every team in the NFL is listed as a 50-1 or better shot to win next year's Super Bowl. Do the Bills really have a 50-1 shot? Of course not. But Bills fans are still going to bet it.

on that premise you are probably correct, i guess it comes down to having the disposable cash to be able place that type of bet. if one takes a flyer on that bet, i think they deserve better odds and obviously vegas is not going to give them.