addition by subtraction?

i was just wondering if by now having 3 linebackers rather than 4. asuming shep takes the next step and barnett hasn't lost one, are we now in much better shape in the linebacking corps than we were a few weeks ago? i loved nick barnett's game last year and i liked sheppard's attitude and enthusiasm. seems like we can be doing alright going forward with this group with the right 3rd. (this is also assuming our d-line will be playing better as a unit with the new scheme and a strong de addition) thoughts?

Kelsay and Carrington to DE is an upgrade in the LB corps. That is a win win for both units. Barnett can play any of the three LB spots, though I like him best at SOLB. I don't think anyone knows what Merriman can or can't do. I suspect he is a situational pass rusher. Moats may be an option at WOLB.

The key to the season on the defensive side of the ball will be Sheppard. I still think he is too small to play MLB but if he can the 2011 draft may be remembered as the draft that turned the franchise around.

1st Round: Melvin Ingram OLB/DE South Carolina

2nd Round: Vinny Curry DE Marshall

Curry - Dareus - Williams - Merriman

Sam: Ingram

Mike: Sheppard

Will: Barnett

Don't know who they should pick (I like the idea of Upshaw in the 1st, then Ronnell Lewis in the 2nd), but I hope the first 2 picks are those positions.

i was just wondering if by now having 3 linebackers rather than 4. asuming shep takes the next step and barnett hasn't lost one, are we now in much better shape in the linebacking corps than we were a few weeks ago? i loved nick barnett's game last year and i liked sheppard's attitude and enthusiasm. seems like we can be doing alright going forward with this group with the right 3rd. (this is also assuming our d-line will be playing better as a unit with the new scheme and a strong de addition) thoughts?

We still need a strong side LB to which Hightower and Upshaw would still be good candidates And don't give that They are 34 Lb crap. The strong side needs to be big and 43 Lb Kiwinuka weighs 267 and this would allow one of our LB to rush the passer effectively.

1st Round: Melvin Ingram OLB/DE South Carolina

2nd Round: Vinny Curry DE Marshall

Curry - Dareus - Williams - Merriman

Sam: Ingram

Mike: Sheppard

Will: Barnett

Upshaw would be better at LB but Ingram is a better DE. Maybe it would be better to put Ingram at End and Curry at LB or a miracle happens and Hightower is still there in the second.

It's all just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. The same players are out there, just in different spots. What the Bills D needs is better players not new schemes.

i am optimistic that it will be more effective than that. if we can get a strong presence at de and one at olb either through the draft or free agency, we should be in better shape. i'm also banking on the dareus/williams combo being a force. and hoping that the players truly buy into and understand the defensive philosophy.

I think the switch instantly upgrades our defense.

We eliminate our biggest weakness (pass rushing outside linebackers) and are now 1 or 2 players away from having a very talented and dynamic front 7. Assuming Kelsay can man up one of the end spots, and we draft a DE and LB in the first two rounds, we'll be 1 year away from having an average - above average player at every position.

Are Sheppard and Barnett really the answers? I dunno. They seem better than the previous garbage on the field. But I do not think anyone will confuse them with the 49ers or the Texans linebackers. I'm open to the idea that the current roster is void of top LB talent and the Bills are basically starting over there. If the Bills change to a 4-3, then draft multiple LBs in this draft, it's a pretty good indication of what they think of the current LBs.

I just can't drink the koolaid after 12 years. I know.....draft a cornerback! That'll fix everything!

Edited by JPS

Merriman cant be counted on for anything at this point. I have no doubt he will be back but at best will be a situational pass rusher and def is not an every down DE

Their biggest holes on defense right now are DE and OLB but one will prob be filled with their first round pick

Kelsay will prob be one of the starting DE's with Dareus and Williams in the middle and Barnett one of the OLB's

Edited by Max997

I don't understand what switch we're talking about.

We only said we played a 3-4 in name... most of the time Kelsay was on the line, in reality we played a 4 man front.

Exactly what I've been thinking. The 3-4 was talked about but it never really materialized. They never had the personnel. And Kelsay is horrible. I've never seen a guy over-commit to outside rushing so many times without getting any pressure, tackles or sacks (except Tebow) all while allowing huge holes against the run. He needs to stop rushing and just hold the edge, but I'm not sure he's capable.

We still need a strong side LB to which Hightower and Upshaw would still be good candidates And don't give that They are 34 Lb crap. The strong side needs to be big and 43 Lb Kiwinuka weighs 267 and this would allow one of our LB to rush the passer effectively.

Upshaw would be better at LB but Ingram is a better DE. Maybe it would be better to put Ingram at End and Curry at LB or a miracle happens and Hightower is still there in the second.

I think Hightower will be gone at the 18th pick and Curry, Lavonte David, Ronnell Lewis, and Travis Lewis would all be there at our pick in RD2. That's my pre-combine crystal ball. NFP thinks Curry will be there in RD3. I don't think so.

Edited by Astrobot

Any roster/depth chart that contains Kelsay and Merriman as starters at the beginning of the season is doomed.

This D needs about 3 or 4 more starters to be average IMO.

Guys are going to go down, but if the most reliable and best players aren't even really NFL starters, then you're screwed

no matter WHAT happens or where they line up.

:unsure:

Any roster/depth chart that contains Kelsay and Merriman as starters at the beginning of the season is doomed.

Guys are going to go down, but if the most reliable and best players aren't even really NFL starters, then you're screwed

This. 3 or 4 new starters in the front 7, including at least one elite pass rusher. It's a 50% turnover.

3 or 4 more good starters and this will be among the best defenses in the league. Not really sure where you'd want to upgrade anymore.

The assumption is that Kyle Williams returns healthy - I assume you are OK with our Pro Bowler from last year, right?

Dareus next to him. Sheppard has already been declared by Gailey - he's fine. Someone earlier said he wasn't big enough to play the MLB?? Say what?? He's plenty big. Weird comment.

Barnett is a very good LB. There's the first OLB.

Given they had possibly the worst pass rush in the league, the play of the DBs wasn't average it was outstanding. Aaron Williams is an excellent CB. Rodgers looks promising. Wilson and Byrd are both very good Safeties.

In a 4-3, they need 1 DE, 1 OLB, and it would be nice to get a 2nd DE to upgrade Kelsay/Carrington. Johnson as DT depth is very good.

If they get Williams back healthy and significantly upgrade 2 pass-rushers, this will be a top-10 defense easily. I believe they will upgrade at least one, and probably get the second, my guess is one FA plus one high draft pick - either a #1 or #2.