Does Buffalo have a draft plan B?

Great response.

To the OP, I don't mean to be rude but this is really an idiotic question. YES the Bills have a plan B. Every NFL team runs through hundreds and hundreds of scenarios as they plan for the draft and Free agency. Only morons on a message board identify one prospect and claim that we are doomed if that guy is not the Bills' pick.

I am fairly new to this forum but why is that in every single thread somebody feels the need to insult people. The op started a good subject and got a good discussion going. Flame away.

Since Chan's announcement that the Bills will use the 43 defense, most fans are now discounting the possibility that the team will draft Upshaw or Ingram. Many are saying that Coples is now the target. Many mock drafts, however, have Coples going to Jacksonville at #7. So, if Coples is not there when Buffalo picks, as is likely the case, who does Buffalo pick.

Some of you like Mercilus. Stat wise, he had a great year. But Mercilus is a one year starter. One year wonders are risky and most mock drafts have Mercilus going no earlier than #20.

Some of you like Nick Perry. Perry had three productive years at SC but he is considered somewhat undersized at DE and most mocks have him as a late first, early second round pick.

Based on the above, Mercilus and Perry would be "reaches" at #10. What does Buffalo do if there is no DE having a #10 value when the team picks at 10? Do we have a plan B?

Just curious, are you suggesting the possibility that they don't draft anyone at #10 if plan A is off the board?

I am fairly new to this forum but why is that in every single thread somebody feels the need to insult people. The op started a good subject and got a good discussion going. Flame away.

The subject line is what really got me started. Does Buffalo have a plan B. Yes. They are an NFL team, they have several plans (Whether or not any of the plans are any good is probably a better topic). Secondly, none of us has a clue what their plan A is let alone their plan B. So, if the OP wanted to have a discussion about what the Bills priorities are, who they have at the top of their board and who they might pick if that person is not their, he could have more clearly posted that instead of asking a silly "rehetorical" question. Not to mention the fact that he could have simply posted that question in one of the hundreds of threads already going on about who the Bills will/should draft.

The subject line is what really got me started. Does Buffalo have a plan B. Yes. They are an NFL team, they have several plans (Whether or not any of the plans are any good is probably a better topic). Secondly, none of us has a clue what their plan A is let alone their plan B. So, if the OP wanted to have a discussion about what the Bills priorities are, who they have at the top of their board and who they might pick if that person is not their, he could have more clearly posted that instead of asking a silly "rehetorical" question. Not to mention the fact that he could have simply posted that question in one of the hundreds of threads already going on about who the Bills will/should draft.

So MADDOG69; Since you didn't like or understand the question, you felt compelled to refer to it as idiotic and moronic? You could not think of a better reply? You could not suggest that if not being able to fill their biggest need at #10, perhaps they should trade down or some such thing? Using insults as you do is an easy thing to do when on the computer but it doesn't really add to the discussion. Why not just move on to a question or topic you do like and understand?

So MADDOG69; Since you didn't like or understand the question, you felt compelled to refer to it as idiotic and moronic? You could not think of a better reply? You could not suggest that if not being able to fill their biggest need at #10, perhaps they should trade down or some such thing? Using insults as you do is an easy thing to do when on the computer but it doesn't really add to the discussion. Why not just move on to a question or topic you do like and understand?

Starting the thread with a stupid question removed any credibility from the rest of the thread, in my opinion. "Does Buffalo have a Plan B" is, in my opinion a really stupid question. It's like asking "Will the sun come up tomorrow". To me, this is a lesson for anyone starting a post. The title should give a reasonable idea of what the thread is about. In this case, the question should have been "If Coples is Plan A, who is Plan B?"

And if you didn't like my response, why not just move on to a response you agree with instead of lecturing me like you are my Father? I expressed my opinion on a message board, there nerve of me.

Edited by Maddog69

1st round- Melvin Ingram DE......Chan and Buddy Love versatile SEC players . Ingram at 6'2 276 can shore up the RDE spot in the 4-3, can play linebacker, can lineup on the inside on passing situations, 9 sacks and 11 tackles for a loss, and a special teams stud. Great Athlete!

2nd round- Matt McCant OT.....Another Sec guy out of UAB, raw but very athletic and talented. May be a bit of a reach hear depending on what tackles may fall from round 1..usually not many. Buddy stated he wanted to draft a tackle, I think he lets Bell walk due to injury history and Hairstons playing well.

McCant at 6-7 295 needs some polishing in his pass protection but is very physical and has great tools. Hairston can fill in until he's ready, could be a good thing for some competition.

3rd round Josh Norman CB .... Buddy wants to take a CB every year, he and Chan likes them Big...Norman is 6'2 205, he was a stud in the East West Shrine game....with an extra 4th we should be able to maneuver in the draft enough to snag this guy.

out of Coastal Carolina having only 2 picks is a concern....but if he had more he would fall this far.. being in on 62 tackles is good for a CB

1st round- Melvin Ingram DE......Chan and Buddy Love versatile SEC players . Ingram at 6'2 276 can shore up the RDE spot in the 4-3, can play linebacker, can lineup on the inside on passing situations, 9 sacks and 11 tackles for a loss, and a special teams stud. Great Athlete!

2nd round- Matt McCant OT.....Another Sec guy out of UAB, raw but very athletic and talented. May be a bit of a reach hear depending on what tackles may fall from round 1..usually not many. Buddy stated he wanted to draft a tackle, I think he lets Bell walk due to injury history and Hairstons playing well.

McCant at 6-7 295 needs some polishing in his pass protection but is very physical and has great tools. Hairston can fill in until he's ready, could be a good thing for some competition.

3rd round Josh Norman CB .... Buddy wants to take a CB every year, he and Chan likes them Big...Norman is 6'2 205, he was a stud in the East West Shrine game....with an extra 4th we should be able to maneuver in the draft enough to snag this guy.

out of Coastal Carolina having only 2 picks is a concern....but if he had more he would fall this far.. being in on 62 tackles is good for a CB

I would like that. Ingram is a much better choice than those thinking Nick Perry. I for one don't care what Perry looks like @ the combine. He is a slow twitch player that doesn't put out the effort unless the play is right in front of him. Would rather have a mean monster like Ingram or Upshaw or Hightower than a guy who shows up at the end of the play to get an assisted tackle. Avoid Perry and to a lesser extent Coples (If available). At least Coples has the tools.... just needs to want it more.

I would like that. Ingram is a much better choice than those thinking Nick Perry. I for one don't care what Perry looks like @ the combine. He is a slow twitch player that doesn't put out the effort unless the play is right in front of him. Would rather have a mean monster like Ingram or Upshaw or Hightower than a guy who shows up at the end of the play to get an assisted tackle. Avoid Perry and to a lesser extent Coples (If available). At least Coples has the tools.... just needs to want it more.

I've never seen him play, but everything I've heard about Perry is that he's a fast twitch athlete. The most athletic DE in this draft, as a matter of fact. If you mean he has a low motor, then that is different than slow twitch. Slow twitch = endurance athletes (joggers, cyclists, etc) Fast twitch = explosive athletes (sprinters, jumpers, etc).

The thing that concerns me about Upshaw and Coples, is that neither is explosive. Both are very strong, yes, but neither are a threat to walk around the LT (like a Von Miller type). I don't know who he is, but we need that player who is capable of beating the LT within two seconds after the snap. If we are drafting a DE, then Upshaw isn't the answer. If a full time DE is going to be 6'1 273, then that player BETTER be in the mold of a Dwight Freeney!

I've never seen him play, but everything I've heard about Perry is that he's a fast twitch athlete. The most athletic DE in this draft, as a matter of fact. If you mean he has a low motor, then that is different than slow twitch. Slow twitch = endurance athletes (joggers, cyclists, etc) Fast twitch = explosive athletes (sprinters, jumpers, etc).

The thing that concerns me about Upshaw and Coples, is that neither is explosive. Both are very strong, yes, but neither are a threat to walk around the LT (like a Von Miller type). I don't know who he is, but we need that player who is capable of beating the LT within two seconds after the snap. If we are drafting a DE, then Upshaw isn't the answer. If a full time DE is going to be 6'1 273, then that player BETTER be in the mold of a Dwight Freeney!

I've seen and have seven of their 12 games recorded. What I mean is when the play is away from him he isn't all out go for the guy like Ingram and Upshaw. He is the opposite of a Phil Hansen type who made several play downfield. Hansen, Ingram, Hightower,Upshaw seemed to have a mission on each play where Perry doesn't go after it if the QB is rolling the other way and he doesn't fight as hard thru blocks.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't care about his forty time or how far he can long jump @ the combine, I would MUCH rather have Ingram, ETC. to him.

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

Well, I'm seeing completely different views on Upshaw. I've hear people say that he's very versatile and can handle playing a DE in a 43. Then some people say he's too short. Here's what I have to say, if Dareus is any indication, I think Alabama has an amazing defensive program. They really prepare their players to face any obstacle in the pros. Upshaw has put his hands in the dirt, and has been effective. Plus lets say if Merriman really doesn't work out again and he gets hurt, Upshaw can move back to his natural position, and promote a later round pick to the DE position, like Branch, or Curry.

Well, I'm seeing completely different views on Upshaw. I've hear people say that he's very versatile and can handle playing a DE in a 43. Then some people say he's too short. Here's what I have to say, if Dareus is any indication, I think Alabama has an amazing defensive program. They really prepare their players to face any obstacle in the pros. Upshaw has put his hands in the dirt, and has been effective. Plus lets say if Merriman really doesn't work out again and he gets hurt, Upshaw can move back to his natural position, and promote a later round pick to the DE position, like Branch, or Curry.

I'd actually wouldn't mind the Bills following the Giants defensive model by drafting DE Whitney Mercilus in the 1st and DE Branch or Curry in the 2nd. Let's get our own "NASCAR" package here. Pass rushers are just more of a premium than good run defense linebackers. No one runs anymore in the NFL. I think Upshaw will be a solid OLB, but he's just not going to be the pass rushing threat this defense needs right now.

It's much easier to find OLBs later in the draft than pass rushing DEs. They need to get Wanny some pass rushers.

Edited by 1billsfan