Anybody Watch "Namath" on HBO?

You absolutely, positively can't write the history of the NFL without including Joe Namath the ICON. There are very, very few people more worthy of being enshrined in Canton. This thread proves once again that stats are for losers, even when it comes to the NFL Hall Of Fame.

GOD BLESS BROADWAY JOE!!! :worthy:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You absolutely, positively can't write the history of the NFL without including Joe Namath the ICON. There are very, very few people more worthy of being enshrined in Canton. This thread proves once again that stats are for losers, even when it comes to the NFL Hall Of Fame.

GOD BLESS BROADWAY JOE!!! :worthy:

Wrong... aside from one championship game in Miami, he didn't do anything worthy of the Hall before or after, numbers aside. That's fact, not opinion. Success in one game isn't a Hall of Fame worthy career in ANY sense of the word.

Wrong... aside from one championship game in Miami, he didn't do anything worthy of the Hall before or after, numbers aside. That's fact, not opinion. Success in one game isn't a Hall of Fame worthy career in ANY sense of the word.

Thanks for turning a good thread into a personal crusade to highlight your laughable ignorance of football history.

Thanks for turning a good thread into a personal crusade to highlight your laughable ignorance of football history.

Is that all you can do is insult people? You're a shining example of perfection, huh? Can't debate anything without the personal attacks? Thanks for nothing. <_<

Edited by BmoreBills

I would have rooted for Len Dawson, but not Joe Namath. Len Dawson did it with class, and Namath did not... there are MANY AFL coaches and players that were great to me, but to canonize him for one game is insane. I don't care if Super Bowl III made the NFL, I still will not feel Namath is worthy of the Hall of Fame. The argument that a player is better is made all the time by people who didn't watch athletes play (Bill James of SABR, for instance, what of him? Pretty sure he never saw Honus Wagner play), and so I discount that totally.

You've mentioned Namath's lack of class a few times. What exactly did he ever do on or off the field that was considered classless?

GO BILLS!!!

Is that all you can do is insult people? You're a shining example of perfection, huh? Can't debate anything without the personal attacks? Thanks for nothing. dry.gif

Actually, I and numerous other posters have pointed out all sorts of reasons why Namath is a hugely important figure in football history and why he deserves to be in the HOF. You have chosen to ignore/dismiss everyone's arguments in favor of repeating ad nauseam your ridiculous premise that Namath is only famous and recognized because of one game. It is clear that there is no point in attempting to "debate" anything with someone who writes something as idiotic as this:

So once again, thanks for ruining a good thread with your ignorance.

Actually, I and numerous other posters have pointed out all sorts of reasons why Namath is a hugely important figure in football history and why he deserves to be in the HOF. You have chosen to ignore/dismiss everyone's arguments in favor of repeating ad nauseam your ridiculous premise that Namath is only famous and recognized because of one game. It is clear that there is no point in attempting to "debate" anything with someone who writes something as idiotic as this:

So once again, thanks for ruining a good thread with your ignorance.

You only posted ONCE, and I wasn't debating you. You're the one ruining this thread with your personal attacks/name calling, not I... :wallbash:

If I was to make a list of All-Time Greatest QBs, Unitas would be a lock, near the very top, and Namath wouldn't make it.

But as far as the Hall of FAME goes, I think it's arguable which of the 2 is more worthy... I might have to give the nod to Joe over Johnny U.

You must be a bitter Colts fan, it's been over 40 years now, let it go.

For whatever it may be worth, my original intent in posting this topic was not som much about Joe, but how that little region in one state, out of all 50 of our states, has been the home territory of SO MANY great NFL players. No other region in the country can claim that!!!! That's fascinating to me. That's phenominal to me.

But it turned into this grand debate about Namath deserving or not, to be in the HOF. I was hoping to get comments, and insights, stories of possibly why that region is so unique. The original post was more about the region, not so much about Joe & the HOF.

For whatever it may be worth, my original intent in posting this topic was not som much about Joe, but how that little region in one state, out of all 50 of our states, has been the home territory of SO MANY great NFL players. No other region in the country can claim that!!!! That's fascinating to me. That's phenominal to me.

It is nothing short of amazing.

These are some of the QB's who hale from within 50 miles of my house:

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

Jim Kelly

Dan Marino

George Blanda

Joe Namath

Johnny Lujack

Jeff Hostetler

And that's just the QB's.

Some other All-Pros from this area are Randy White, Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, Mark Stepnoski, Dick LeBeau, Curtis Martin, Jim Haslett, Ty Law, Bill Fralic, Sam Clancy, Jason Taylor, Fred Biletnikoff, Bay Lawrence, Brian Baldinger, etc

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

Jim Kelly

Dan Marino

George Blanda

Joe Namath

Johnny Lujack

Jeff Hostetler

Some other All-Pros from this area are Randy White, Mike Ditka, Tony Dorsett, Mark Stepnoski, Dick LeBeau, Curtis Martin, Jim Haslett, Ty Law, Bill Fralic, Sam Clancy, Jason Taylor, Fred Biletnikoff, Bay Lawrence, Brian Baldinger, etc

It's like I told Rev up thread, it's the steel shavings in the Iron City beer.

GO BILLS!!!

Joe Montana

Johnny Unitas

Jim Kelly

Dan Marino

George Blanda

Joe Namath

Johnny Lujack

Jeff Hostetler

Thank you, Simon for posting this. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I didn't know the list was anywhere NEAR this extensive. What do you suppose it is?

I was just a kid when the Jets won the Superbowl. I do recall just how much it meant to every city with an AFL team -- including Buffalo. That day, every AFL fan was a Jet fan. I seem to recall from that AFL documentary a while back that many AFL players were in Miami for the game, went into the locker room after the game with tears in their eyes because the game validated the league, and they all partied together later that night.

I also seem to recall that Bills fans cheered the Jets bus (similarly to the way we did with Kelly's arrival) when the Jets appeared in Buffalo the next year -- again because of what the victory meant to the league and each AFL city.

As for Joe Namath, I went to his football camp for two summers when I played football in high school. Joe was a great guy and very generous with his time. (It also was a great camp with a lot of good players and coaches).

Joe Namath was a great multi sport athlete in high school. I think his football team was undefeated his senior year. He won the National Championship at Alabama - even after he had his first major knee injury. Bear Bryant called him the greatest athlete he ever coached. Joe Namath also validated an entire league -- including the Buffalo Bills. Not a bad career.

P.S. He always was a great guy to me. I am happy I had the opportunity to spend some time with him.

Edited by Peter

I was just a kid when the Jets won the Superbowl. I do recall just how much it meant to every city with an NFL team -- including Buffalo. That day, every NFL fan was a Jet fan. ...

I'm guessing BmoreBills was not a fan of the Jets that day.

But your larger point is right on the mark. Every AFL fan, including Raiders fans whom the Jets just beat for the AFL championship, was a Jets fan.

GO BILLS!!!

I was just a kid when the Jets won the Superbowl. I do recall just how much it meant to every city with an AFL team -- including Buffalo. That day, every AFL fan was a Jet fan. I seem to recall from that AFL documentary a while back that many AFL players were in Miami for the game, went into the locker room after the game with tears in their eyes because the game validated the league, and they all partied together later that night.

I also seem to recall that Bills fans cheered the Jets bus (similarly to the way we did with Kelly's arrival) when the Jets appeared in Buffalo the next year -- again because of what the victory meant to the league and each AFL city.

As for Joe Namath, I went to his football camp for two summers when I played football in high school. Joe was a great guy and very generous with his time. (It also was a great camp with a lot of good players and coaches).

Joe Namath was a great multi sport athlete in high school. I think his football team was undefeated his senior year. He won the National Championship at Alabama - even after he had his first major knee injury. Bear Bryant called him the greatest athlete he ever coached. Joe Namath also validated an entire league -- including the Buffalo Bills. Not a bad career.

P.S. He always was a great guy to me. I am happy I had the opportunity to spend some time with him.

I went to a number of Jets games when I was young, the year after the Super Bowl in the Rockpile. I was only 7, but I don't remember Joe getting booed, but I do remember Johnny Sample getting booed lustily. He was supposed to be a dirty player and there was something that triggered that.

But, then I saw him more in the Rockpile and at Rich and Namath got booed more than anybody in the league at those games. I didn't really know why - I guess just because he was the biggest and somewhat most notorious name in football.

I went to a number of Jets games when I was young, the year after the Super Bowl in the Rockpile. I was only 7, but I don't remember Joe getting booed, but I do remember Johnny Sample getting booed lustily. He was supposed to be a dirty player and there was something that triggered that.

But, then I saw him more in the Rockpile and at Rich and Namath got booed more than anybody in the league at those games. I didn't really know why - I guess just because he was the biggest and somewhat most notorious name in football.

The same people who booed would fall all over themselves trying to shake his hand if he showed up at Sestak and Mcguires place. :rolleyes:

Yup,Joe was a pioneer in a pioneering league.

Gotta say thanks to all the people that posted on this topic. Irregardless of where you stand on Joe Namath the player, the human being, whatever. I enjoyed the shared knowledge, insights, stories, and memories. Especially the memories. The 1960's were a GREAT decade for sports. Our Bills, and the AFL & people like Joe added a LOT of excitement to a decade that was JAMMED PACT with excitement. The stories must live on, and they must never be forgotten. RWR