Ryan Tannehill

Maddog69

I want to solidify the OL before we draft a "franchise QB" this way if the franchise QB doesnt live up to expectations, we wont be able to blame it on the OL

Your response makes sense and I'd much rather have a OT than a QB in the 1st. However, we averaged 5 ypc and allowed the least sacks in the NFL (opps, I forgot our oline gets no credit for that :nana: ). Top qbs like Rodgers and Big Ben don't have great olines. IF you believe a guy is a franchise type QB, you draft him no matter what. However, IMO, RT isn't that guy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Mark Rypien was a "Franchise Quarterback?" And Brad Johnson? And Trent Dilfer?

I know its only three, but it leads me to believe that if you got a guy in a system that works, you can win it all. Its a team game. Not a Quarterback and 52 other blokes.

I agree it's a team game, and that there's a limit to how much a franchise QB can compensate for weakness at other positions. On the other hand, if two reasonably complete teams face each other, and if only one of those teams has a franchise QB, the team with the franchise QB will usually win. The objective should be to obtain a franchise QB and to surround him with a good offensive supporting cast and a good defense. Once you have a team like that, you become a legitimate threat to win the Super Bowl. You will remain a legitimate threat to win the big one for as long as you keep your core intact.

Of the three non-franchise QBs you mentioned to have won Super Bowls, only one (Brad Johnson) is from the last ten years. Brad Johnson was voted to the Pro Bowl the year the Bucs won the Super Bowl. Even though Johnson wasn't a franchise QB, the Bucs still received good play from the QB position the year they won it all.

The same can't be said about the Ravens of 2000. Dilfer was a mediocre QB who had a mediocre year. To compensate, the Ravens had one of the best defenses of all time. Each of their four starting defensive linemen legitimately required a double team to be successfully blocked. Their linebacking corps was led by a Hall of Fame player (Ray Lewis). But every linebacker was at or near a Pro Bowl level. Their defensive secondary had two shutdown corners to go along with guys like Ed Reed at safety. On the off chance that a defense like that wasn't enough, the Ravens also had a very good offensive line, led by a Hall of Fame level LT in Jon Ogden. They had a very good running game in the form of Jamal Lewis. And they had a Pro Bowl caliber TE in Shannon Sharpe. Not only that, but that Ravens team got lucky in the postseason. Only one of their postseason opponents (the Raiders) had a franchise QB; and Rich Gannon got knocked out before the end of the first half of the playoff game against the Ravens. With the possible exception of those 30 minutes against the Raiders, that Ravens team never had to face a postseason opponent that was both reasonably complete and that had a franchise QB.

So, Mark Rypien was a "Franchise Quarterback?" And Brad Johnson? And Trent Dilfer?

I know its only three, but it leads me to believe that if you got a guy in a system that works, you can win it all. Its a team game. Not a Quarterback and 52 other blokes.

This argument has been made hundreds of times in this forum and no less valid for that being the case.

However could it be possible that this is the exception to the rule?

No running game? They had one, and should have had two 1000 yard runners (Gray and Michael), if it hadn't been for injuries. Tannehill benefitted from a very balanced attack. In A&M's game against Texas and the bowl game against Northwestern, they had to go with their 3rd string RB exclusively, because another RB dropped from the team.

Tannehill actually regressed from the previous season. He played almost flawlessly in 2010, up until he faced LSU in the Cotton Bowl, when he threw 3 or 4 INTs. This year he had three games with three INTs.

and the Bills would only compound that mistake by using their #1 on Tannehill, who would mirror Fitz's play.

i am so sick if BUFFALO BARBARIAN and this LOSER tannehill... i hope this kid is the biggest bust of all time and he probably will be a huge bust... HE SUCKED with GREAT WR's if a pass oriented offense playing against weak D's.. he has 1 yr of QB experience and would be the worst 1st round pick WE EVER HAD and yes EVVVVVVVVVER had... in we wasted a 1st round pick on him (which wont happen) the expectation will ruin him and make losman look like brady.. kid has a lot talent but will never make it in NFL... comes up small at big times. A and M was a top preseason pick and this is college, u lose a stud RB, they r easily replaced with other recruits u have. no reason for this collapse.

DIE TANNENHILL DIE

i am so sick if BUFFALO BARBARIAN and this LOSER tannehill... i hope this kid is the biggest bust of all time and he probably will be a huge bust... HE SUCKED with GREAT WR's if a pass oriented offense playing against weak D's.. he has 1 yr of QB experience and would be the worst 1st round pick WE EVER HAD and yes EVVVVVVVVVER had... in we wasted a 1st round pick on him (which wont happen) the expectation will ruin him and make losman look like brady.. kid has a lot talent but will never make it in NFL... comes up small at big times. A and M was a top preseason pick and this is college, u lose a stud RB, they r easily replaced with other recruits u have. no reason for this collapse.

DIE TANNENHILL DIE

Bla bla bla, You just can't help yourself can you? Kinda late to the thread, you hanging in Naples again?

This argument has been made hundreds of times in this forum and no less valid for that being the case.

However could it be possible that this is the exception to the rule?

In the last 19 Superbowls, exactly 2 were won by non-franchise type QBs (Johnson and Dilfer).

This is why I would not be upset if the Bills gave away a ton of picks to move up for RG III.

Tannehill is fools gold. He'll be this year's Blaine Gabbert.

In the last 19 Superbowls, exactly 2 were won by non-franchise type QBs (Johnson and Dilfer).

This is why I would not be upset if the Bills gave away a ton of picks to move up for RG III.

Tannehill is fools gold. He'll be this year's Blaine Gabbert.

Way to cut Hostetler off there

Way to cut Hostetler off there

Still doesn't change the fact that your changes are extremely slim if you don't have a franchise QB. If the Bills somehow got there with Fitzpatrick they'd be facing the challenge of beating someone like Rogers, Brees or Manning in the big game.

I like Fitzpatrick, but I think they'd stand a much better chance of winning the Superbowl with RG III.

Bla bla bla, You just can't help yourself can you? Kinda late to the thread, you hanging in Naples again?

i own a very successful business and cant be on my computer all day jacking off to my fav prospects.. but trust me, i follow sports more than 99% of the world.. i made over 200k between NFL and MLB last yr, im 9-1 in post season this yr. i dont look thru all the posts, only the ones on main page and most i have no interest in responding to cuz they are so idiotic... the one about SANBORN has to take the cake... did someone really feel that a long snapper may be the key to a playoff run?? i think even u would agree with me on that...

Edited by robert cohen

Hook a brother up with your picks (or a job)lol!

pats -2.5.. only pick i got wrong in postseason was GB.. i got 25k on them... stay away from ALL sides, those are crap shoots.. dont touch over under.. always a suckers bet.. only take spreads or money lines... won huge with SF over saints cuz i had them big on spread AND money line.. and won huge on them coming up short vs. giants

Edited by robert cohen

Of course, but you can greatly reduce your risk. Dareus was a "sure thing" last year, so was AJ Green. I feel Upshaw is as well. Also Blackmon. There are a number of players that are far less risky. Luck and RG3 are low risk.

A mid-level QB at #10 is a HUGE risk.

Much too risky for a team that needs to hit on most of its picks.

How is Tannehill a mid level QB when he beat and outplayed RGIII head to head two years in a row?

pats -2.5.. only pick i got wrong in postseason was GB.. i got 25k on them... stay away from ALL sides, those are crap shoots.. dont touch over under.. always a suckers bet.. only take spreads or money lines... won huge with SF over saints cuz i had them big on spread AND money line.. and won huge on them coming up short vs. giants

Ouch I don't like hearing the Pats. I'm taking the Giants and also won on them over niners and ravens over pats. I don't mess with the sides cause I agree they are sucker bets. However I don't have thousands or even hundreds to bet lol. Interested to know why you like the Pats...

Now how bout that job? haha

Before the Senior Bowl I was calling Weeden "Plug-n-Play" and saying he would be the perfect pick for a team that needs a week 1 starter QB. (Not a god pick for the Bills) After the Senior Bowl "analysts" are agreeing.

Don't be surprised if Weeden is the 3rd QB taken and a possible Top 10 pick. Even though he will be 29 on Week1.

1. Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State, 6-3, 219, 5.00 (South Squad)Weeden saved his best day for the final padded practice. He displayed outstanding arm strength, making great throws with excellent accuracy. He showed excellent touch on a fade route into the end zone and the ability to squeeze passes between defenders. It was clear from this week of practice that Weeden was the best quarterback in Mobile and has legit first-round talent.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-10/nfl-mock-draft/story/brandon-weeden-solidifies-draft-status#ixzz1kftmskiR

Edited by Why So Serious?

i own a very successful business and cant be on my computer all day jacking off to my fav prospects.. but trust me, i follow sports more than 99% of the world.. i made over 200k between NFL and MLB last yr, im 9-1 in post season this yr. i dont look thru all the posts, only the ones on main page and most i have no interest in responding to cuz they are so idiotic... the one about SANBORN has to take the cake... did someone really feel that a long snapper may be the key to a playoff run?? i think even u would agree with me on that...

Well agree with you there I haven't even looked at the Sanborn thread. Really don't understand your hatred for Tannehill I saw him 2 years ago and thought he was a player and this season just confirmed it. Before you think he is garbage go back and really see why he "regressed"; only 1 WR in Swope as fuller was banged up, Cyrus gray getting injured thus no running game and the defense giving up big leads that that Tannehill made which led him to throwing the ball 90% of the time to catch up and any QB that throws too much to catch up makes mistakes.

Well agree with you there I haven't even looked at the Sanborn thread. Really don't understand your hatred for Tannehill I saw him 2 years ago and thought he was a player and this season just confirmed it. Before you think he is garbage go back and really see why he "regressed"; only 1 WR in Swope as fuller was banged up, Cyrus gray getting injured thus no running game and the defense giving up big leads that that Tannehill made which led him to throwing the ball 90% of the time to catch up and any QB that throws too much to catch up makes mistakes.

Just a question BB: can you explain why Jerrod Johnson put up better #s at Texas A&M than RT and couldn't even get drafted? Personally, I think the talk of Tannehill going in the top 10 is hilarious and he is a product of a QB friendly system.

WHAT IS A FRANCHISE QB!?!??!?!?!? FOR THE LOVE OF FREAKIN' GOD CAN SOMEONE STATISTICALLY DEFINE WHAT A FRANCHISE QB IS? This term is complete and total BS as NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can define what that is or even tries for that matter.

"Stop the insanity!"

Edited by PDaDdy