oil dependence

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oil imports are down because consumption has gone down MAINLY because of the weak economy. The Presidents Energy policies have virtually nothing to do with the trends, Nothing!

This is all happening in spite of the president, oil production projects and the new natural gas horizontal drilling explosion was all in place WELL before the president stepped into office.

Now if you want to say that because of the presidents poor economic record, that consumption of oil has gone down, therefore lessening oil imports, then you may have a point.

However, some of what Obama is claiming credit for in his new ad arguably had little to do with him and is largely the product of phenomena the president would probably prefer not to highlight, like sky-high energy prices and the protracted economic slump.

"For the first time in thirteen years our dependence on foreign oil is below fifty percent," the narrator says in the new Obama ad.

"That's correct. These are facts. Facts do not lie," Oppenheimer & Co. energy analyst Fadel Gheit told POLITICO Thursday.

When asked, though, whether the Obama administration's policies have helped wean the U.S. from foreign oil, Gheit was equally emphatic.

"Absolutely not true," Gheit said. "It was all market driven and all through American ingenuity….It was no thanks to Washington, not thanks to lobbyists, not thanks to anybody."

The decline in foreign oil imports as a percentage of U.S. oil consumption has been underway since 2005. When the economy tanked in 2008, overall demand for energy dropped. However, oil prices spiked to about $145 a barrel in mid-2008, spurring new domestic investment. Prices crashed back to about $40 a barrel after that, but have moved higher again during in part due to uncertainty produced by the Arab spring democracy movement—which Obama supported.

Oil stood at just over $100 a barrel on Thursday—a price that makes gasoline and heating oil more expensive for U.S. consumers, but also spurs companies to invest in U.S. oil prospecting and drilling that might not be financially viable at lower prices.

"Money and capital will go where the returns are," Gheit explained. "North American oil is the most expensive in the world to bring to market….As oil prices continued to rise, the U.S. has attrarcted more and more capital spending and people are willing to take more chances." The spending has also spurred job growth in the U.S. energy sector, particularly in states like Texas.

Gheit said the overall political climate in the U.S.—the relatively stable currency and low chance of drilling projects being confiscated or nationalized—helps win energy investment, but he views that as distinct from any administration policies.

Gheit also stressed that a lot of the new exploration in the U.S. is driven by technology breakthroughs involving horizontal drilling, as well as discoveries of large natural gas reserves and new ways to tap them. "We invented horizontal drilling that unlocked enormous resources. We've never seen anything like it in the last 30 years," he said.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2012/01/what-obamas-first-ad-doesnt-say-111451.html

Repeat after me:

I drink the Obama Kool-aid because it tastes good.

Edited by Magox

Oil imports are down because consumption has gone down MAINLY because of the weak economy. The Presidents Energy policies have virtually nothing to do with the trends, Nothing!

This is all happening in spite of the president, oil production projects and the new natural gas horizontal drilling explosion was all in place WELL before the president stepped into office.

Now if you want to say that because of the presidents poor economic record, that consumption of oil has gone down, then you may have a point.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2012/01/what-obamas-first-ad-doesnt-say-111451.html

Repeat after me:

Why do you hate black people? <_<

all of this may be true but it's also true that right wing sky is falling rhetoric over obama's energy policies was proved wrong. and conservation programs certainly had some effect. exactly how much will be argued over by those much more knowledgable than any of us.

Edited by birdog1960

all of this may be true but it's also true that right wing sky is falling rhetoric over obama's energy policies was proved wrong. and conservation programs certainly had some effect. exactly how much will be argued over by those much more knowledgable than any of us.

I can tell you this, when it comes to oil, there isn't a politician in the U.S that knows about oil as much as I do.

In regards to right wing rhetoric, I could give two ***** about that. The reality is that the presidens energy policies have had a relatively small effect on todays oil prices, I calculate somewhere between $3-5 a barrel, simply because of the moratoria of last year and the loss of rigs from that action. Having said that, his policies will have more of a long-term effect on prices because of the drilling restrictons and activist stance the EPA currently has.

But, I do seem to remember a bunch of you leftists blaming Bush for the high prices of 08 and without even knowing you then , I'm pretty damn sure that you were one of those strawmen proponents back then that attempted to link the oil prices of 08 to his oil buddies in Texas ;)

But go ahead and tell me you weren't one of "those" guys. uh huh yeah

So when I hear the ignorant attack on Obama and how he is to blame for the current price of oil, I just kinda sit back and think to myself, "the shoe is on the other foot now" and if I were a campaign strategist I would be just as disingenous in my attacks against Obama as they were the last election cycle.

Now if you want to say that because of the presidents poor economic record, that consumption of oil has gone down, therefore lessening oil imports, then you may have a point.

Repeat after me:

And then there's the whole 83% increase in gas costs. But that probably has nothing to do with it... ask him, he'll tell you. <_<

Not all that different from him taking credit for fewer border crossings. Uhmm, dude, they're not coming here as much because the economy sucks so bad, and because Mexican and other countries' banks aren't accepting US Dollars as readily b/c of its weakness. This is like torching your house and then boasting that you've now stopped people from wanting to rob you. !@#$-tard!

I can tell you this, when it comes to oil, there isn't a politician in the U.S that knows about oil as much as I do.

In regards to right wing rhetoric, I could give two ***** about that. The reality is that the presidens energy policies have had a relatively small effect on todays oil prices, I calculate somewhere between $3-5 a barrel, simply because of the moratoria of last year and the loss of rigs from that action. Having said that, his policies will have more of a long-term effect on prices because of the drilling restrictons and activist stance the EPA currently has.

But, I do seem to remember a bunch of you leftists blaming Bush for the high prices of 08 and without even knowing you then , I'm pretty damn sure that you were one of those strawmen proponents back then that attempted to link the oil prices of 08 to his oil buddies in Texas ;)

So when I hear the ignorant attack on Obama and how he is to blame for the current price of oil, I just kinda sit back and think to myself, "the shoe is on the other foot now" and if I were a campaign strategist I would be just as disingenous in my attacks against Obama as they were the last election cycle.

yeah, it's not like despite our decreased dependence on oil, it remains one of, if not the most important geopolitical issue in the world. analysts at intelligence agencies make it a low priority and don't bother to fill in and update govt officials on developments, oil company execs don't communicate with govt officials (remember BP, the lockerbie bomber and the UK?) ... i'm confident that nobody knows as much about it as you.

yeah, it's not like despite our decreased dependence on oil, it remains one of, if not the most important geopolitical issue in the world. analysts at intelligence agencies make it a low priority and don't bother to fill in and update govt officials on developments, oil company execs don't communicate with govt officials (remember BP, the lockerbie bomber and the UK?) ... i'm confident that nobody knows as much about it as you.

Yep, when it comes to pricing, markets, data and trends, not a single one of those dummies do. That's just how it is. Now keep drinking the kool-aid BD, cuz you know, thats just what you do.

President's

Yep, when it comes to pricing, markets, data and trends, not a single one of those dummies do. That's just how it is. Now keep drinking the kool-aid BD, cuz you know, thats just what you do.

don't tell me...i'll bet you're typing this from a suite in davos.

:lol: There's little no liberal man chowder you're not willing to swallow. Get a towel and wipe your chin.

Oh, but Obama is at fault for unemployment because of the economy he inherited? :blink:

At what point does it become his? 2016?

Oh, but Obama is at fault for unemployment because of the economy he inherited? :blink:

No one ever said Obama didn't inherit a bad economy retard. So did Bush. And Reagan. Difference is those guys addressed problems instead of exacerbating them.

Repeat after me:

So if it is good, the previous Adminstration is welcome to enter the conversation and the current President gets zero credit for extending such policies.....

If it is bad, no one can mention the previous Adminstration and the current President sucks at everything......

Edited by B-Large

So if it is good, the previous Adminstration is welcome to enter the conversation and the current President gets zero credit for extending such policies.....

If it is bad, no one can mention the previous Adminstration and the current President sucks at everything......

I don't give a **** about all that, I'll leave that up to the morons, I'm just speaking facts and tellin it how it is.