Lee Evans taking the blame for the loss

Webster Guy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he put his team in the position to take the game, and they failed to execute. bottom line.

Harbaugh deserves as much credit for the loss as any player. Especially when you factor in that he didn't use a time out before the missed field goal. He rushed the kicking unit on, it looked like they barely got set to kick.

Harbaugh deserves as much credit for the loss as any player. Especially when you factor in that he didn't use a time out before the missed field goal. He rushed the kicking unit on, it looked like they barely got set to kick.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How is it more people are not talking about this? I have never seen such an important kick rushed so fast. I mean it didnt even look like everyone got set. Of all the plays, thats the one he rushes? There was plenty of time on the play clock too...rushing that kick cost them a chance to play in the SB by forcing OT.

I feel real bad for Evans, but that was NOT a drop and good strip by the defender on a difficult throw and catch. There isnt a WR in the NFL that hasn't had a ball knocked out like that, it happens and the defensive players are paid to make plays too, and he did.

Should have been reviewed...not sure it gets overturned or not as it was very close, but the fact is that it was close enough to at least review a play of such magnitude.

I feel real bad for Lee too. He is a class act and has had nothing but great things to say about Buffalo, the fans and the people. I really wish he caught that ball and had a chance for the SB. When you watch the play in regular time he basically had it for about a half second before the Pats defender knocked it out and you see plays like that all the time. Some people make it sound like it hit his hands and he dropped it with nobody around.

He should have made the catch but that play happens a couple times at least each game (not in the end zone) but all over the field.

Great guy, feel bad for him. How many players leave Buffalo by writing a letter to the city and its fans? Very few.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. It was not a catch -- could have been, but it wasn't. It's a shame for the Ravens who played well. They got bite twice -- a dropped TD and "wide Left" on a kick that should have been made.

Why was Cundiff so late in getting on the field? He seemed to run out late and not get set before the kick.

coach choked

why not call a timeout or even take the 5 yard penalty for delay of game

why hurry the kick and screw it up

Edited by spartacus

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. It was not a catch -- could have been, but it wasn't. It's a shame for the Ravens who played well. They got bite twice -- a dropped TD and "wide Left" on a kick that should have been made.

Why was Cundiff so late in getting on the field? He seemed to run out late and not get set before the kick.

Can you please explain what "dropped" pass you are talking about because Lee did NOT drop the pass, it was knocked out of his hands clear as day by the defender on an excellent play by the DB. Dropped pass is what Stevie did in the end zone against Pitt or again this year against the Jets to lose us games. Dropped passes are ones that hit your hands with no interference from the defense and you flat out drop it. Lee made the tough catch and the DB made a helluva play to knock the ball lose before he could complete the reception.

This is the NFL, it happens to all WR's...DB's are paid to make plays just like WR's are paid to make plays...sometimes the DB wins, sometimes the WR wins. In any case, Lee did NOT drop the ball. Talk to Stevie if you want to talk about drops that lose games.

Can you please explain what "dropped" pass you are talking about because Lee did NOT drop the pass, it was knocked out of his hands clear as day by the defender on an excellent play by the DB. Dropped pass is what Stevie did in the end zone against Pitt or again this year against the Jets to lose us games. Dropped passes are ones that hit your hands with no interference from the defense and you flat out drop it. Lee made the tough catch and the DB made a helluva play to knock the ball lose before he could complete the reception.

This is the NFL, it happens to all WR's...DB's are paid to make plays just like WR's are paid to make plays...sometimes the DB wins, sometimes the WR wins. In any case, Lee did NOT drop the ball. Talk to Stevie if you want to talk about drops that lose games.

That well defended pass was a fraction of a second maximum from being a game winning TD. In the end zone lee only had to get both feet down and it's over. Punch it out do what you want its over. It amazes me me the NFL didn't review that because it was extremely close.

I agree with the above two posters. That was EXTREMELY close. How many times do you see it just that fraction of a second longer, and a guy blasts the receiver or whatever, but it's over - it doesn't matter..........And, that by no means was a drop - that was a great defensive play.

That Raven sideline looked like a circus in the last few minutes....Harbaugh pushing assistants out of the way?.....chaos.....i think the Raven staff let the moment become too big for them....a shame.....they let the Pats off the hook

I agree, and was saying so at the time...but now I hear, the reason that Cundiff had to rush on to the field:

The rest of the kicking unit was out there, but Cundiff says (and verified by teammates) that the sticks on the sideline were indicating (incorrectly) that it was 3rd down...but the scoreboard said 4th...so, Cundiff is on the sideline "warming up" while the FG unit is waiting him for to take the field, time winding down... Cundiff thought there was one more play. It would seem that Harbaugh, or the special teams coach, or friggin' Cundiff himself, would have been screaming to call a timeout, when they realized he wasn't out there...what a monumental screw-up. All of the sudden, misplacing your helmet on the opening drive of the Super Bowl doesn't seem so stupid! :lol:

Edited by Buftex

I agree, and was saying so at the time...but now I hear, the reason that Cundiff had to rush on to the field:

The rest of the kicking unit was out there, but Cundiff says (and verified by teammates) that the sticks on the sideline were indicating (incorrectly) that it was 3rd down...but the scoreboard said 4th...so, Cundiff is on the sideline "warming up" while the FG unit is waiting him for to take the field, time winding down... Cundiff thought there was one more play. It would seem that Harbaugh, or the special teams coach, or friggin' Cundiff himself, would have been screaming to call a timeout, when they realized he wasn't out there...what a monumental screw-up. All of the sudden, misplacing your helmet on the opening drive of the Super Bowl doesn't seem so stupid! :lol:

Wow - how stupid is that! I was just listening to Kornheiser's show from today and one of his sidekicks joked that Cundiff suddenly realized that he was on the kicking team...Harbaugh has to call a time out there!

That well defended pass was a fraction of a second maximum from being a game winning TD. In the end zone lee only had to get both feet down and it's over. Punch it out do what you want its over. It amazes me me the NFL didn't review that because it was extremely close.

Maybe they didn't review it BECAUSE it was so close. That call could have gone ether way and the reviewer didn't feel there was enough evidence it was possible to overturn the play as called on the field.

Maybe they didn't review it BECAUSE it was so close. That call could have gone ether way and the reviewer didn't feel there was enough evidence it was possible to overturn the play as called on the field.

I don't know, I don't buy that. They review every scoring play, allegedly. I don't recall it so much during the regular season (I watch the Bills games in a bar, so you get a bit more distracted), but I recall in pre-season games, even the most obvious, non-controversial touchdowns, they would review each one, and it would take forever to make it "official". It just seems really stupid (for lack of a better word) to review every play that is ruled a touchdown, but not to review plays that could be potential touchdowns, if they were reversed. And this particular play came in the final 2 minutes, a time-mark that the NFL places significance to, for other replay situations...

I understand, it would be impractical to review every play, but the NFL claims it will review every scoring play. I think they got the call right yesterday (upon further review), but it wasn't that clear cut, without looking twice. It is just odd...they should review, or just get rid of instant replay altogether. We have seen much less ambiguous plays than this one, overturned.

Edited by Buftex

I agree, total garbage that they did not review it. They may not even over turn it, but it was close enough to review it. I personally think it could have possibly been over turned.

I don't know, I don't buy that. They review every scoring play, allegedly. I don't recall it so much during the regular season (I watch the Bills games in a bar, so you get a bit more distracted), but I recall in pre-season games, even the most obvious, non-controversial touchdowns, they would review each one, and it would take forever to make it "official". It just seems really stupid (for lack of a better word) to review every play that is ruled a touchdown, but not to review plays that could be potential touchdowns, if they were reversed. And this particular play came in the final 2 minutes, a time-mark that the NFL places significance to, for other replay situations...

I understand, it would be impractical to review every play, but the NFL claims it will review every scoring play. I think they got the call right yesterday (upon further review), but it wasn't that clear cut, without looking twice. It is just odd...they should review, or just get rid of instant replay altogether. We have seen much less ambiguous plays than this one, overturned.

It was not a scoring play. There is no "almost scored" category

It's a scoring play, if the call is overturned, after the review.

If the call on the field is incomplete, then it is not a scoring play. It has been called like that all season. I think it was a easy one for the guys upstairs to look at quickly and say no catch. Next play.

On 3rd down all Flacco had to do was dive his 6'6" frame a yard for a first down. Get up and call a timeout. Flacco is clearly not a Franchise QB, he showed no situational awareness, Not to mention WTF kind of stupid play did they call on 3rd and 1 in order to go to the Super Bowl.

They had 4 WRs 20 yards down the field. Cam Cameron screwed the pooch on top of Flacco being an idiot.

They had great protection on the play, they just needed a couple receivers anywhere near the first down marker.

That whole series was a debacle.

1st down. - Boldin fumbles out of bounds - If he hangs on to the ball its a first down.

2nd down - Fricking Lee Evans goes lackadaisical and doesn't protect the ball. I contest it was not a good play by the 10th string defender. It was a simple "ball check" that happens on every play. Lee just didn't secure the ball. It's not like the player punched out between his arm pit and arms. He just got his hand on top of the ball. A veteran WR like Lee Evans should have secure a relatively easy catch like that.

3rd down - Fricking Cam Cameron can't call a play to get a yard at least Play Action!!! You have a frisking timeout. And Flacco can't recognize that no one is open and no one is in front of him just dive for the yard after you step up.

4th down - Seriously ! That was a huge shank. That doesn't even count as a miss. It's like Tee-ing off and hitting a Water hazard on the NEXT HOLE it wasn't even anywhere near the uprights.

I blame Flacco and Cam Cameron more than anyone else, but Lee Evans gets a nice 20% chunk of blame too.

It's good of him to step up and own it.

On 3rd down all Flacco had to do was dive his 6'6" frame a yard for a first down. Get up and call a timeout. Flacco is clearly not a Franchise QB, he showed no situational awareness, Not to mention WTF kind of stupid play did they call on 3rd and 1 in order to go to the Super Bowl.

They had 4 WRs 20 yards down the field. Cam Cameron screwed the pooch on top of Flacco being an idiot.

They had great protection on the play, they just needed a couple receivers anywhere near the first down marker.

That whole series was a debacle.

1st down. - Boldin fumbles out of bounds - If he hangs on to the ball its a first down.

2nd down - Fricking Lee Evans goes lackadaisical and doesn't protect the ball. I contest it was not a good play by the 10th string defender. It was a simple "ball check" that happens on every play. Lee just didn't secure the ball. It's not like the player punched out between his arm pit and arms. He just got his hand on top of the ball. A veteran WR like Lee Evans should have secure a relatively easy catch like that.

3rd down - Fricking Cam Cameron can't call a play to get a yard at least Play Action!!! You have a frisking timeout. And Flacco can't recognize that no one is open and no one is in front of him just dive for the yard after you step up.

4th down - Seriously ! That was a huge shank. That doesn't even count as a miss. It's like Tee-ing off and hitting a Water hazard on the NEXT HOLE it wasn't even anywhere near the uprights.

I blame Flacco and Cam Cameron more than anyone else, but Lee Evans gets a nice 20% chunk of blame too.

It's good of him to step up and own it.

Agree with all of this wholeheartedly. Cam Cameron was atrocious all game long. No wonder he's gone. Unbelieveably overrated OC. So you've got 3 and 1 on the Pats 20 with 22 seconds left and you've got a time out. Run a draw or even a quarterback draw. If you're stuffed, call your timeout and set up your chip-shot field goal. If you pick up five or six yards, you may have opportunity to spike the ball and still have 8 - 10 seconds left for legitimate shot into the end zone. Even if you call your time out, you'll still have one shot at the end zone.

Also, of the dozen or so plays the Ravens will have all off-season to contemplate, a forgotten one is Flacco's screw-up not seeing a wide-open Vonta Leach for the TD after the turnover in the end-zone. It would have put them up by 8 in the fourth quarter. Flacco played a decent enough game (decent, not great) but that one was a killer.

Agree with all of this wholeheartedly. Cam Cameron was atrocious all game long. No wonder he's gone. Unbelieveably overrated OC. So you've got 3 and 1 on the Pats 20 with 22 seconds left and you've got a time out. Run a draw or even a quarterback draw. If you're stuffed, call your timeout and set up your chip-shot field goal. If you pick up five or six yards, you may have opportunity to spike the ball and still have 8 - 10 seconds left for legitimate shot into the end zone. Even if you call your time out, you'll still have one shot at the end zone.

Also, of the dozen or so plays the Ravens will have all off-season to contemplate, a forgotten one is Flacco's screw-up not seeing a wide-open Vonta Leach for the TD after the turnover in the end-zone. It would have put them up by 8 in the fourth quarter. Flacco played a decent enough game (decent, not great) but that one was a killer.

You're right.

One minor correction was Leach was wide open between the 10 and 5, and Flacco forced it, to the end zone instead of hitting the wide open man, that would have had the probable touchdown. Allthough I'm guessing the CB is way faster than Leach so the TD wasn't guaranteed.

Decisions like that reflect poorly on the QB, but are more understandable than stepping into the pocket on 3rd and 1. Having a huge hole with no one in front of you and you only need 1 yard, plus you have a TO in your pocket and everyone is covered.

Freaking Dan Marino in 1997 would have scrambled for the first down with his lawnmower engine, powered leg braces in that situation.

Edited by Why So Serious?