The Bills are a good football team

Rob's House

I know there was much talk of a repeat of 2007 that ultimately came to fruition, but before we delve deeper into dispair I want everyone to imagine the following scenario:

Suppose the Monday after we beat the Pats and were all floating on cloud 9, you found out that there had been a car accident and we would be without the services of Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, Wood, Bell, and Hairston for several weeks, if not the whole season, would you have expected the winning trend to continue? Or would you maybe think that KEY injuries had just cost us what might have been a great season?

Remember, this is after we already endured and overcame the losses of McGee, Easley, Parrish, and Merriman for the season, D. Jones for much of it, and Stevie and Troup playing through significant injuries.

I know injuries are part of the game. They're the part that makes good teams lose. We're closer than a lot of us think. Next year should be fun.*

* Assumes we resign SJ

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there was much talk of a repeat of 2007 that ultimately came to fruition, but before we delve deeper into dispair I want everyone to imagine the following scenario:

Suppose the Monday after we beat the Pats and were all floating on cloud 9, you found out that there had been a car accident and we would be without the services of Fred Jackson, Kyle Williams, Wood, Bell, and Hairston for several weeks, if not the whole season, would you have expected the winning trend to continue? Or would you maybe think that KEY injuries had just cost us what might have been a great season?

Remember, this is after we already endured and overcame the losses of McGee, Easley, Parrish, and Merriman for the season, D. Jones for much of it, and Stevie and Troup playing through significant injuries.

I know injuries are part of the game. They're the part that makes good teams lose. We're closer than a lot of us think. Next year should be fun.*

* Assumes we resign SJ

Next year 10-6, borderline playoff team...looks like a good schedule next year. Im positive for next year but I also said 8-8 for this year.

I do not agree that the Bill's are a "Good" football team. IMO a good football team would have the resources and depth to overcome th injuries the Bill's sustained. The Bill's are still a middle of the pack team, not good but flirting with it if all things fall into place. The Bill's need a couple more drafts and some free agent signings to become a "Good" team.

A couple more drafts is unacceptable. It's been 12 years--next season the Bills MUST make the playoffs.

A couple more drafts maybe for an AFC championship but not playoffs.

Or what, blow it up again and have the cycle continue?

What happens in your mind if they MUST make the playoffs, but do not?

Or what, blow it up again and have the cycle continue?

Oh God I hope not. Let's stay the damn course for once. While I'm not as optimistic as the OP (I may be after FA) I am certain we are building a solid team. A few pash rushers, speed receiver, TE and a few Lbs and we are a playoff team.

A couple more drafts is unacceptable. It's been 12 years--next season the Bills MUST make the playoffs.

A couple more drafts maybe for an AFC championship but not playoffs.

Weird paradox, this one...as the length of the dismal stretch increases, a sense of immediacy arises - they have to make the playoffs NOW. But I believe it's this sense of immediacy that has prevented any of the Coach/GM regimes from gaining a foothold for consistency.

I do not agree that the Bill's are a "Good" football team. IMO a good football team would have the resources and depth to overcome th injuries the Bill's sustained. The Bill's are still a middle of the pack team, not good but flirting with it if all things fall into place. The Bill's need a couple more drafts and some free agent signings to become a "Good" team.

We lost our best offensive player (FJ) our best defensive player (KW) and many other key players on both sides of the ball.

If the Packers lost Bulaga, Tauscher, Wells, D. Jones, Finley, B.J. Raaji, Woodson, and C. Matthews, with G. Jennings battling a groin injury you'd still expect them to dominate?

Or if the Stealers lost 2 of their 3 best O-linemen, Mike Wallace, Heath Miller, James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, and Ike Taylor would they keep racking up wins?

Granted the Bills need more depth, but even the best and deepest teams can only lose so many key players before the whole thing falls apart.

The way to build experienced depth is to have the "depth" play. They played this year. So next year we'll have more experienced depth. In the NFL depth is depth. If you are back-up for one team you are probably a back-up/borderline starter for another, so I am going to call depth depth. Experience is what helps "depth" become better.

* Assumes we resign SJ

well we lost more players (starters) in 2007 i believe, when kevin everette started it off in grand fashion in the first game. We went 7-9 w jauron and a team of back-ups and a worse qb. I think george edwards was the main reason for this, as well as giving away lee evans. The arguement that "hes too fast for this type of offense" was stupid. Did you see how many times fitz connected on deep streak/fade passes this year? i think donald duck caught 1 and stevie about 2 in garbage time. If we had kept lee and dumped edwards think of the possibilities. .. oh and dont say lee would have got hurt too had he stayed.

Edited by loserlovers

What I think you should have said are the Bills could be a good team soon if all of their key players stay healthy, if they have a solid draft, if Merriman returns to what he was 5 years ago, if Easley turns into the player we think he could be, if they sign three or four free agents that contribute, if they figure out how to play Jackson and Spiller in the same game, if the don't let Johnson and Chandler walk, if the coaches don't blow any games by calling pass plays when you are within field goal range and can milk the clock to kick the FG and win.

All of those things must happen for this team to become a good team.

What I think you should have said are the Bills could be a good team soon if all of their key players stay healthy, if they have a solid draft, if Merriman returns to what he was 5 years ago, if Easley turns into the player we think he could be, if they sign three or four free agents that contribute, if they figure out how to play Jackson and Spiller in the same game, if the don't let Johnson and Chandler walk, if the coaches don't blow any games by calling pass plays when you are within field goal range and can milk the clock to kick the FG and win.

All of those things must happen for this team to become a good team.

Some good points here. I did make a few assumptions that may not pan out. I'm taking the under on Merriman returning to form (although there's a chance) and assuming we'll get a pass rusher in the offseason. Further I'm assuming we'll bring back SJ, Chandler, and Bell*. If we go into the season without a quality pass rusher, TE, or LT I'll be singing a different tune.

*Bell could be let go and an OT drafted early. This would all but require us to pick up a quality free agent this off season.

Next year 10-6, borderline playoff team...looks like a good schedule next year. Im positive for next year but I also said 8-8 for this year.

Well then, one could say you have a great ability to overvalue and overestimate. If the season started today, the Bills starting wideouts would likely be Donald Jones & David Nelson, Brock the srating TE, and Hairston the LOT. There would still be no pass rush. So, basically you are assuming the Bills sign or draft a #1 receiver, competent LOT, TE, OLBs & DEs.

If you're saying 10-6 next season, 8-8 is much closer to reality(7-9).

This team is not a "GOOD" team by any stretch of the imagination... unless of course, in your world, you're OK with "barely adequate".

The Bills are not only not a good football team, they fall considerably short as a competitive organization in the modern NFL. A decade of pitiful drafts, no front office, inadequate and poor free agent signings, average at best starters and no depth what so ever. They were still giving up over 400 yards a game the first six weeks and in the NFL eventually good teams are going to figure you out - regardless of injuries. I am not sold on Nix, Gailey nor the current roster and believe the current coaching staff is not competitive. The Jets and Dolphins will get better and the patriots will remain the monster of the AFC East; we were 1 - 5 against it this year. During the 1990's this team did not go free agent wild but did make key aquisitions that made them playoff contenders - Ted Washington, Bryce Paup and we paid Jeffcoat 3 Million a year to rush the passer on third down. Quality veteran players wanted to be in Buffalo! Until we create a quality organization you will get more of the same? 10 - 6 good grief!