Offseason Moves

Danny

Obviously its early and a lot of the moves are going to depend on the draft and many other things BUT just for fun...

If you were in Buddy Nix's shoes what moves would you make?

Here are some rules to follow to keep it somewhat realistic...

Start with the players you would cut that you dont want on the team or will save you cash. Then follow up with which Bills players you would re-sign but remember to state how much you would sign each for (example: 3-4 mil, 8-9 mil ect.) because while everyone wants to sign Chandler im sure not everyone would want to spend the same amount of money. Finally, end with which free agents you would target but also give an idea of what the limit you are willing to spend on each (example if you decide to target Mario williams you will have to spend 15 mil plus)

Keep in mind that we the Bills work with a cash to cap system so unless you save a bunch of money with the players you want to cut, you wont have alot of money to work with. :thumbsup:

Edited by Danny

Sign SJ, Chandler, Bell. Extend Levitre, Byrd. Sign Cortland Finnegan(him, paired with Aaron Williams, Leodis nickel, and with Byrd and Wilson is a very solid DB group). Trade down 10 spots in draft, picking up an additional second rounder...

Obviously its early and a lot of the moves are going to depend on the draft and many other things BUT just for fun...

If you were in Buddy Nix's shoes what moves would you make?

Here are some rules to follow to keep it somewhat realistic...

Start with the players you would cut that you dont want on the team or will save you cash. Then follow up with which Bills players you would re-sign but remember to state how much you would sign each for (example: 3-4 mil, 8-9 mil ect.) because while everyone wants to sign Chandler im sure not everyone would want to spend the same amount of money. Finally, end with which free agents you would target but also give an idea of what the limit you are willing to spend on each (example if you decide to target Mario williams you will have to spend 15 mil plus)

Keep in mind that we the Bills work with a cash to cap system so unless you save a bunch of money with the players you want to cut, you wont have alot of money to work with. :thumbsup:

I'm not a capologist. I have never understood the cash to cap thing. But there are minimum spending rules in the new CBA that get tougher every year. So the cash to cap may be out the door.

Sign SJ, Chandler, Bell. Extend Levitre, Byrd. Sign Cortland Finnegan(him, paired with Aaron Williams, Leodis nickel, and with Byrd and Wilson is a very solid DB group). Trade down 10 spots in draft, picking up an additional second rounder...

All of that and if there is any $ left over, find at least ONE FA that can play on the defensive front 7.

I'm not a capologist. I have never understood the cash to cap thing. But there are minimum spending rules in the new CBA that get tougher every year. So the cash to cap may be out the door.

There is no cap floor this year, but cumulatively the league must spend a certain amount. Per PFT from 7/25:

Salary floors: Players accepted a relatively low salary cap in exchange for the raising the minimum teams have to spend. This can’t be underestimated. 99% of the salary cap must be spent in cash in aggregate between 2011-2012. The league-wide number falls to 95% after that. Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap from 2013-2016 and 2017-2020.

The Bills can spend less in 2012 and rely on the larger spenders to make up for it. However, Nix said that they'll spend to the cap, which if the number didn't change from 2011, would be spending 120.375M in cash. The cap may be easily massaged, but in terms of money spent that what the Bills will spend per the GM.

If I'm the GM my priorities are:

Resign Stevie Johnson

Resign Demetrius Bell

Resign Rian Lindell

Resign Scott Chandler

Resign Bryan Scott

I've listed them from most important to least, IMO. Obviously Stevie is the most important to get resigned, and I'd lose a lot of respect if the bills let this guy walk. Bell, is IMO, a very close second to Stevie in terms of importance. I have the feeling he'll test the market and get more money elsewhere, which will be a shame and the wrong move. It's not often you hit on a 7th rounder (both Stevie and Bell), and in order to continue to build the talent and nucleus of a team you have to be able to resign your young talent, and these two are both very talented pros.

Moving onto free agency and the draft I'm prioritizing 4-5 positions:

OLB/DE (depeding on our base defense)

WR

CB

OT

in that order.

The Bills have seemed to have a lot of success picking up OL late in the draft or off of waivers (Urbik, Pears, Rhinehart, and Bell), so I'd expect more of the same......either a late round pick or a cheap FA that they like.

Drafting a CB is an almost certainty, if not 2. Nix has been quoted saying you better draft one or two CB's every year, so I fully expect to see just that....1-2 CB's drafted. If the Bills can land one prized FA I'd expect it to be either a WR or pass rusher (OLB/DE). It's not likely, but if it were to occur I'd expect it to be at one of those 2 positions. Otherwise I'm expecting them to be addressed very early in the draft.

Do not expect a G or C to be drafted. I believe Nix stated it's a lot easier to draft T's and if they don't work out you kick them inside. He stated it's very difficult to do the opposite so he sees the drafting of tackles as a much more viable and safe bet than drafting G's and or C's, which actually makes a lot of sense.

I'm not sold on Fitzpatrick long term, but I think this front office believes they can win now with Fitz, and so I think they'll address other needs and wait another year or two to get their guy.

An ideal scenario, would be

1- Resign Stevie,

2- Resign Bell,

3- Land a big time FA receiver (Vincent Jackson)

....and then follow that up with another defensive heavy draft (CB's, OLB's, DE's). I'd love that scenario. The Bills must get back to having a nasty defense if they ever want to compete when the weather turns nasty in Nov./Dec.

Edited by Estro

That works for me. I don't know if my first target in free agency would be Finnegan but he might be easier to sign than a lot of others out there. I would not be unhappy at all if they landed him.

If I'm the GM my priorities are:

Resign Stevie Johnson

Resign Demetrius Bell

Resign Rian Lindell

Resign Scott Chandler

Resign...

If the offseason went down like that we'd be in great shape for next year. If they cut a couple of players they might even have enough $$ to go after a second significant free agent.

Re-sign Stevie Johnson

IN FA

Sign Robert Meachem,Tracey Porter,Calais Campbell

Draft

RD 1 Nick Perry USC

RD 2 Nick Foles QB Arizona

RD 3 Andrew Datko OT Florida State

RD 4 Juron Criner WR Arizona

RD 4 Manny Abreu OLB Rutgers

RD 5 Emanuel Davis CB, East Carolina (This kid is going to be a stud.) (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=37381)

RD 6-7 BPA

Edited by mob16151

First off, free agency signings.... Kendall Langford, DE, Miami Dolphins where we steal a player off a division rivals roster. Additionally, TE John Carlson formerly a Seattle Seahawk. Next "we" add a WR like Laurent Robinson (If you can't beat him, have him join you!!). The NFL selection meeting nets this, as follows:

10.) Jonathan Martin, OLT, Stanford

41.) Andre Branch, OLB/DE, Clemson

72.) Cordarro Law, DE, Southern Mississippi

108.) Keith Tandy, CB, West Virginia

124.) Jordan White, WR, Western Micigan

5th round- Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State

6th round- Russell Wilson, QB, Wisconsin

6th rounder- Terrence Ganaway, RB, Baylor

7th rounder- Kyle Wilber, OLB, Wake Forest

I think the realistic viewpoint is entered here, however, I am hoping for a blockbuster such as Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans ( Then no Langford!).

Re-sign Stevie Johnson

IN FA

Sign Robert Meachem,Tracey Porter,Calais Campbell

Draft

RD 1 Nick Perry USC

RD 2 Nick Foles QB Arizona

RD 3 Andrew Datko OT Florida State

RD 4 Juron Criner WR Arizona

RD 4 Manny Abreu OLB Rutgers

RD 5 Emanuel Davis CB, East Carolina (This kid is going to be a stud.) (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=37381)

RD 6-7 BPA

Nice. If you could resign Bell or Chandler which would you resign? Or would you let them walk?

Nice. If you could resign Bell or Chandler which would you resign? Or would you let them walk?

I'd let Bell walk, and try and re-sign Chandler, he's found a niche in our offense. But I wouldn't pay more than 5 million a year for Chandler.

First off, free agency signings.... Kendall Langford, DE, Miami Dolphins where we steal a player off a division rivals roster. Additionally, TE John Carlson formerly a Seattle Seahawk. Next "we" add a WR like Laurent Robinson (If you can't beat him, have him join you!!). The NFL selection meeting nets this, as follows:

10.) Jonathan Martin, OLT, Stanford

41.) Andre Branch, OLB/DE, Clemson

72.) Cordarro Law, DE, Southern Mississippi

108.) Keith Tandy, CB, West Virginia

124.) Jordan White, WR, Western Micigan

5th round- Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State

6th round- Russell Wilson, QB, Wisconsin

6th rounder- Terrence Ganaway, RB, Baylor

7th rounder- Kyle Wilber, OLB, Wake Forest

I think the realistic viewpoint is entered here, however, I am hoping for a blockbuster such as Mario Williams, DE, Houston Texans ( Then no Langford!).

Right on. Im assuming you kept the free agent signings reasonable so that you'd have enough money to resign our own free agents like SJ and DB? Would you cut a player like Edwards or Spencer Johnson to save 3 million and spend it elsewhere or do you think they are worth keeping..

I'd let Bell walk, and try and re-sign Chandler, he's found a niche in our offense. But I wouldn't pay more than 5 million a year for Chandler.

Personally i would rather spend those 5 mil. on Bell. I know we signed Pears to about 3 mil a year so if Bell took 5 mil it would sound fair to me. But i have heard most people agree with you that Chandler is more important to keep. Im very interested in how the Bills will handle Chandler, they dont seem like they will pay him 4-5 mil after only one year of production.

I know you said 5 mil is the Max... obviously you would like to pay him less. If we could get him for less i would love to see him on the team next year.

Right on. Im assuming you kept the free agent signings reasonable so that you'd have enough money to resign our own free agents like SJ and DB? Would you cut a player like Edwards or Spencer Johnson to save 3 million and spend it elsewhere or do you think they are worth keeping..

Personally i would rather spend those 5 mil. on Bell. I know we signed Pears to about 3 mil a year so if Bell took 5 mil it would sound fair to me. But i have heard most people agree with you that Chandler is more important to keep. Im very interested in how the Bills will handle Chandler, they dont seem like they will pay him 4-5 mil after only one year of production.

I know you said 5 mil is the Max... obviously you would like to pay him less. If we could get him for less i would love to see him on the team next year.

The problem with re-signing Chandler is this guy might have bumped up Chandlers asking price.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7459508/tennessee-titans-craig-stevens-agree-four-year-deal-according-agent

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/13/titans-te-stevens-agree-on-four-year-deal

At that rate. Chandler is going to be offered 10 million/yr. Well at least now we know why the titans are in trouble.

At that rate. Chandler is going to be offered 10 million/yr. Well at least now we know why the titans are in trouble.

If Chandler is offered 6 or 7 million a year, I would be shocked. I would love to see him resigned but I am thinking in the 2-3 million dollar range. And I would still like to see another TE brought in (Fred Davis, Martellus Bennet, Jacob Tamme). Bennett is really intriguing to me with his tremendous size and good speed. He has been stuck behind Witten in Dallas and I think a change of scenery could do him wonders. He also wouldn;t cost very much to bring in IMO

Edited by ShhitGoose

If Chandler is offered 6 or 7 million a year, I would be shocked. I would love to see him resigned but I am thinking in the 2-3 million dollar range. And I would still like to see another TE brought in (Fred Davis, Martellus Bennet, Jacob Tamme). Bennett is really intriguing to me with his tremendous size and good speed. He has been stuck behind Witten in Dallas and I think a change of scenery could do him wonders. He also wouldn;t cost very much to bring in IMO

You arent going to get any arguement from me on that. I was thinking the exact same thing. But read the article that mob posted. Titans signing a te with 9 catches, 166 yards and 1 td a contract of 4 yrs/15 mil. (approx.)? Are you kidding me? Chandlers agent is salivating as we speak right?

1. Sign Stevie @ 7 million with performance based bonuses not to exceed 10 million (4 years).

2. Extend Levitre.

3. Target Mario Williams for 15-20 million with performance based bonuses not to exceed 20 mil. Reason, he was a 4-3 end when he came into the league, and a 3-4 OLB last

season. He was damn good at both.

4. Sign Bell @ whatever the average Left Tackle makes in the NFL. He isn't an elite tackle. Have a feeling someone in the league will drastically overpay, if thats the case let him walk.

5. Sign Chandler for slightly above the TE average and put in some performance based bonuses to enhance the contract.

6. Target Vincent Jackson. I would personally pay him around the 10 million mark with performance bonuses to reach 15 million.

7. Cortland Finnegan. Talk to him, see what he wants. I would sign him, but not for high end numbers.

8. Have Brad Smith start working with QB's more. Coach Lee brought the Wildcat in. Smith was successful with it when they ran it last year, and Smith can throw it too. Just another weapon.

9. Draft Upshaw, Blackmon, or Coples if they are there at 10. If they lost Bell then throw the best LT into the mix at 10. Leave the rest to Whaley.

10. Take a nap.

Edited by Kevin