MARVIN MCNUTT IOWA WIDE RECEIVER

This guy was recruited as a quarterback. He sat his freshman season was unselfish and didnt wine or want to transfer when KIRK FERENTS realized he could contribute as a wr as a sophmore. In three years he has caught countless clutch GAME WINNNING balls, became IOWA'S ALL TIME LEADING RECEIVER IN TOUCHDOWNS, RECEPTIONS, YARDS, passing 4 year starters TIM DWIGHT and DANAN HUGHES records. 2012 ALL BIG TEN 1st team 6'4 catches balls one handed behind him (youtube has highlights) his 2012 stats are almost identicle to a guy named JUSTIN BLACKMON. Ilove STEVEY JOHNSON and would like to see him re-signed but we need a big plaxico or moss type player that fitz can count on not to drop the ball.

This guy was recruited as a quarterback. He sat his freshman season was unselfish and didnt wine or want to transfer when KIRK FERENTS realized he could contribute as a wr as a sophmore. In three years he has caught countless clutch GAME WINNNING balls, became IOWA'S ALL TIME LEADING RECEIVER IN TOUCHDOWNS, RECEPTIONS, YARDS, passing 4 year starters TIM DWIGHT and DANAN HUGHES records. 2012 ALL BIG TEN 1st team 6'4 catches balls one handed behind him (youtube has highlights) his 2012 stats are almost identicle to a guy named JUSTIN BLACKMON. Ilove STEVEY JOHNSON and would like to see him re-signed but we need a big plaxico or moss type player that fitz can count on not to drop the ball.

post-17374-17132_thumb.jpg

post-17374-20271_thumb.png

Edited by brianhawkeye2012

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive...Taking a look at Blackmon and McNutt, I think I'd rather have McNutt. While Blackmon is a bit more explosive, both are very physical receivers with great hands. The knock on McNutt is that he is still developing his route running skills. Blackmon took 2 years to break into the starting line up at his natural position while Mcnutt transitioned to WR from QB and lead the team for 3 years straight. McNutt also received scholarships in THREE sports...football, basketball, and baseball.

Blackmon post 32 more receptions, but only had 3 more touchdowns and nearly the exact same yardage...as for the measurables, almost the exact same:

Blackmon - 6'1" 215lbs & runs a 4.52 40 yrd dash; 113 receptions, 1,337 yds & 15 TD (2010 mid-season DUI)

McNutt - 6'2" 215lbs & runs a 4.52 40 yrd dash: 82 receptions, 1,315 yds & 12 TD

Blackmon doesn't last to the 10th pick, and I think we have a legit sot @ McNutt in the 3rd Rd. IMHO, McNutt is a better value pick. Something to consider!

nice i dont know how to post those will u add the behind the back catch against mich st 2011. and do you like the pick even though we have defensive needs 1st

I don't think he jumps into the 2nd round. He's currently ranked the 18th best receiver in the draft, with a 4-5 rd. grade. He may jump up into the 3rd with a good combine and pro day...hell, maybe the second, but I don't think so.

Nice research bro i knew his stats were simuliar to blackmon. Ithink what makes him just as good as blackmon is mcnutt plays in a pro style run first. Hey if we could get him in the third HELL YEAH!!! Im telling you fitzmagic will have a hayday with stevey and marvin

I think he goes in the 2nd. Not a bad time to take him. Thanks for posting. Plus, I like having WR's that are former QB's. They tend to have a good sense of the overall offensive scheme. (Heinz Ward, etc.). Plus, perhaps he can be our 3rd string QB. Has to be better than Brad Smith.

There are other WR's I'd take in the 2nd round before McNutt, namely Dwight Jones and Nick Toon. Toon is a much more polished WR than is McNutt, and IMO Jones has the highest ceiling of any WR in this draft class. Now, if we waited until the 3rd round to address WR and McNutt was still on the board, I would be happy with the selection.

I think he goes in the 2nd. Not a bad time to take him. Thanks for posting. Plus, I like having WR's that are former QB's. They tend to have a good sense of the overall offensive scheme. (Heinz Ward, etc.). Plus, perhaps he can be our 3rd string QB. Has to be better than Brad Smith.

Brad Smith is a WR for us, and he was a QB. Did you mean to contradict yourself?

ryan i agree, i d hate to not get him in the third. he has the same yards in 30 less receptions YPC than BLACKMON. Ithink he is the 4th to 5th best receiver in the country

if NICK TOON was better than MCNUTT than why sas MCNUTT the only consensus ALL BIG TEN 1st team on each media and coaches vote including BRETT BILLEMIA coch of the badgers

Lets keep in mind stats aren't everything.

McNutt - 6'2" 215lbs & runs a 4.52 40 yrd dash: 82 receptions, 1,315 yds & 12 TD

Jarius Wright: 5'10" 180lbs & runs a 4.34 40yrd dash: 66 receptions, 1117 yds & 11TD

Average yrds per play: Mcnutt: 16.0 Wright: 16.9

only had 1 less TD, higher average yards per reception, and only 198 fewer yards while having 16 fewer receptions. Also Wright played against SEC defenses that were exceptional this year.

Just based on stats it would look like Wright might be the better player to take but is that necessarily true? Blackmon is at the top because he is an exceptional athlete and you can't simply put numbers to numbers and expect them to define each player.

If stats were everything Brandon Weeden would be ahead of Luck.

Weeden: 4727yrds 37TD 13INT

Luck: 3517yrds 37TD 10INT

And OK State beat them in the bowl game

Very true that was the point i was makiing between MCNUTT and BLACKMON iowa st shut down BLACKMON i think there bodies are similur, i didnt watch that guy u are talking about but like i said both media and coaches voted MCNUTT 1st team unanimous they know what i watched all year

also can jarius run block when jackson or spiller is comming around for a sweep???? marvin handles cb's think about that

sometimes you feel like mcnutt, sometimes you don't.

I am a Buffalo native and former Iowa athlete myself...ages ago. I have watched probably every game Marvin McNutt has played......I would LOVE to have him on the Bills. he does not have great speed.....I see him as more of a Greg Jennings type receiver......solid routes, great hands, smart player. Go Bills Go Hawks!

That said...he may be available in the third round.

Oh. And Reilly Reiff is good, but not the number ten pick in the draft.

Very true that was the point i was makiing between MCNUTT and BLACKMON iowa st shut down BLACKMON i think there bodies are similur, i didnt watch that guy u are talking about but like i said both media and coaches voted MCNUTT 1st team unanimous they know what i watched all year

also can jarius run block when jackson or spiller is comming around for a sweep???? marvin handles cb's think about that

There is no doubt McNutt is the more complete receiver but you have to build a dynamic receiving corps to be successful. Look at the Bills receivers they had this year.

Steve Johnson, Marcus Easley, Derek Hagan, Kamar Aiken, all of them are 6'2"

Donald Jones & Naaman Roosevelt: 6'

David Nelson: 6'5"

Ruvell Martin: 6'4"

Roscoe Parish: 5'9"

Hagan, Aiken, Roosevelt, & Martin won't play hardly at all next year (barring injuries) and some won't be on the team.. Parish might be gone very soon and rightfully so leaving Buffalo with this.

Johnson, Easley, Jones, and Nelson. Nelson may be 6'5" but he isn't a big playmaker and is a slot receiver. Other than him buffalo's receivers don't break the 6'2" mark. Buffalo needs a big 6'3"--6'6" playmaker who can go up in traffic like burress or marshall to get the ball. We don't have that at all. We also need a smaller speedy receiver to throw off defenses in the slot. I like McNutt but adding another midsized receiver in the draft when we already have 3 doesn't make much sense to me. No teams fear our big receiver who can go sky high over the DB's and make the grab because we are one of the few teams that don't have one.

We have to target a taller fearsome receiver because we have to have a dynamic receiving corps, not 4 guys who are all the same size out there at the same time. We need to create mismatches and have guys who work better for certain routes. Johnson is our best backcorner fade route guy and he is only 6'2". You need a guy with some serious height to go up and take the ball or that is too big to be pressed by a corner. None of our receivers stand out significantly from one another, they all pose a similar threat so it's easier to gameplan our passing game.

Look at the pats, Gronkowski, welker, Ochocinco, Branch. One huge, one small, two others more mid seized. Jets: Burress, holmes, & keller. We have to have guys that pose multiple threats not a group of same sized receivers who tend to run the same types of routes all day long because they have similar skill sets.

If I'm going to take a receiver in the 2nd I'm taking Dwight Jones or Tommy Streeter. Streeter lacks the bulk but at 6'4" and running a 4.49 40yrd dash, I'm a fan of that. Trainers will bulk him up easily. Poor guy had Jacory Harris throwing to him all season :thumbdown:

I want Roscoe gone so I want Jarius wright to be the small blazing fast receiver as a late round pick to fill his void.

Edited by syrcuse315

Im personally rooting for Dwight jones in the 3rd. while I know WR is a huge need lets take 2 LBs then a WR.

1) Courtney Upshaw OLB

2) Vontaze Burfict ILB

3) Dwight Jones WR

4) Tony Bergstrom OT

4) Levy Adcock OT

5) Chandler Harnish QB

6) Dwight Bentley CB

7) Adrian Robinson OLB

I would love to get McNutt in the draft. I was really surprised to see him at 18 for his position. I really think he will be an above average pro WR. He would be a great pick for the Bills. I liked Nick Toon a lot too. I thought he was terrific. We'll see. Hopefully they'll get somebody to challenge Jones and Easley for the spot next to Stevie, assuming he re-signs.