Free Agent Tracker

silvermike

My comments:

QB - Agree with you here.

WR - Welker is a lock to be back; Colston not so much. Matter of fact, I've actually seen reports that it's going to be very difficult to keep him and Brees and Carl Nicks, especially with a possible Jimmy Graham holdout looming.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/26/colston-wont-be-giving-the-saints-a-discount/

If we do go with a WR, I think Pierre Garcon would be a smart choice. He likely won't cost a ton of money, but can stretch the field and run solid routes.

OT - I'm in the re-sign Bell AND draft somebody camp. If Bell locks up the job with Stellar play, great. If not, let Hairston or a draft pick try to hold it down.

DL - Campbell is a good player, but Darnell Dockett is the guy that makes the Arizona line what it is. If they feel that Campbell's asking price is too high, they won't bite. Tollefson is a big question mark to me...I mean, how good do you have to be when you're rushing the passer alongside Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul, Mathia Kiwanuka, Chris Canty, or some combination thereof?

DB - Love the Terrell Thomas idea; I could also be talked into Rashean Mathis.

Indy's going to do everything they can to keep him. Wer might be able to sign him, but he's going to cost more than you think. Wayne is 32, thats the guy that they'll let walk.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between a healthy Jones and Easley we aren't as bad off a WR as some people are making it sound

I'm a little gun shy on Easley after IR 2 yrs running. Given the way or WRs have dropped like flies over rhe last two seasons I'd feel a lot better with a quality vet with a history of staying on the field.

Between a healthy Jones and Easley we aren't as bad off a WR as some people are making it sound

How many career catches do Jones and Easley have between them? About 10, I think.

One of the biggest problems with the Bills' offense last year was a lack of quality receiving options

at WR (and TE). Don't get me wrong, *maybe* Jones and/or Easley will be pretty good, but there

track record isn't enough to suggest that the "Bills are all set at WR".

How many career catches do Jones and Easley have between them? About 10, I think.

One of the biggest problems with the Bills' offense last year was a lack of quality receiving options

at WR (and TE). Don't get me wrong, *maybe* Jones and/or Easley will be pretty good, but there

41 catches 2 touchdowns.

Ironic the WR debate came up before the SB. In big games, an offense needs three receiving threats, and the Giants flashed Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham. When the former 2 were covered, Manningham made plays. The Patriots were a team that banked on 2 TE's and Welker. Green Bay with Jennings, Nelson, Finley, et al. Falcons with White, Jones, and Gonzalez. Saints had their stable of guys. etc.

Buffalo has Steve Johnson between the 20s. After him are a bunch of low cost options short on accomplishments and experience. The odds of Jones and Easley both becoming dependable receivers is not high. For every Victor Cruz there are 15 guys who are marginal NFL wideouts. For a team predicated in Chan's offense on the pass, their options are few and far between. That more than Fitz's ribs probably played a huge part in their offensive woes.

The Bills are almost 25 million under the cap & there are 16 free agents on the team that could boost the cap up past 30 million & your going to cut plays too so that could boost it up more & I would only resign 4 of our FA Scott Chandler,Stevie Johnson,Demetrius Bell & Reggie Corner & try to add two or more of theses players

Wes Welker, WR, Patriots

DeSean Jackson, WR, Eagles

Pierre Garcon, WR, Colts

Cliff Avril, DE, Lions

Anthony Spencer, DE/OLB, Cowboys

Calais Campbell, DE/DT, Cardinals

Ahmad Brooks, DE/OLB, 49ers

D'Qwell Jackson, ILB, Browns

Dan Connor, ILB, Panthers

Brandon Carr, CB, Chiefs

Tyvon Branch, SS, Raiders

Now your not going to sign all theses player nor could you afford it but 2 or 3 could make a huge impact on the team Oh & The QB I said it before Robert Griffin III

Bills Free Agents

OT Demetrius Bell

TE Scott Chandler

RB Tashard Choice

CB Reggie Corner

LB Andra Davis

WR Derek Hagan

WR Stevie Johnson

WR Ruvell Martin

LB Kirk Morrison

WR Roscoe Parrish

K Dave Rayner

S Bryan Scott

LB Reggie Torbor

Restricted

OL Chad Rinehart

LS Garrison Sanborn

OL Kraig Urbik

The Bills are almost 25 million under the cap & there are 16 free agents on the team that could boost the cap up past 30 million & your going to cut plays too so that could boost it up more & I would only resign 4 of our FA Scott Chandler,Stevie Johnson,Demetrius Bell & Reggie Corner & try to add two or more of theses players

Wes Welker, WR, Patriots

Pierre Garcon, WR, Colts

Cliff Avril, DE, Lions

Brandon Carr, CB, Chiefs

Now your not going to sign all theses player nor could you afford it but 2 or 3 could make a huge impact on the team Oh & The QB I said it before Robert Griffin III

Bills Free Agents

OT Demetrius Bell

TE Scott Chandler

RB Tashard Choice

CB Reggie Corner

LB Andra Davis

WR Derek Hagan

WR Stevie Johnson

WR Ruvell Martin

LB Kirk Morrison

WR Roscoe Parrish

K Dave Rayner

S Bryan Scott

LB Reggie Torbor

Restricted

OL Chad Rinehart

LS Garrison Sanborn

OL Kraig Urbik

I like your list of who the Bills should keep. I'd swap Reggie Corner for Bryan Scott. I don't think Corner has done enough to secure a spot especially with emergence of Justin Rodgers. The Bills could then look for CB's in the later rounds of the draft for depth.

Ironic the WR debate came up before the SB. In big games, an offense needs three receiving threats, and the Giants flashed Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham. When the former 2 were covered, Manningham made plays. The Patriots were a team that banked on 2 TE's and Welker. Green Bay with Jennings, Nelson, Finley, et al. Falcons with White, Jones, and Gonzalez. Saints had their stable of guys. etc.

Buffalo has Steve Johnson between the 20s. After him are a bunch of low cost options short on accomplishments and experience. The odds of Jones and Easley both becoming dependable receivers is not high. For every Victor Cruz there are 15 guys who are marginal NFL wideouts. For a team predicated in Chan's offense on the pass, their options are few and far between. That more than Fitz's ribs probably played a huge part in their offensive woes.

This couldn't be more true, anyone who thinks jones deserves to even sniff the field as the #2 wideout is just being ignorant. We absolutely need to 1. Resign stevie, and 2, get a quality number 2 if not number one. I think that david nelson is a decent if not top 3rd slot receiver type guy. He also presents great mismatches. But we need need need a number 2 so that we have more open options. If we don't at least get stevie and a say mario manningham I will be sorely disappointed. Getting a roy williams will make me furious. If we got a solid pass rusher and good wide receiver out of free agency I would be thrilled. Then go pass rush, o line, and defensive backs in the draft and draft a qb next season.

Wes Welker, WR, Patriots

Pierre Garcon, WR, Colts

Cliff Avril, DE, Lions

Brandon Carr, CB, Chiefs

Bills Free Agents

OT Demetrius Bell

TE Scott Chandler

RB Tashard Choice

CB Reggie Corner

LB Andra Davis

WR Derek Hagan

WR Stevie Johnson

WR Ruvell Martin

LB Kirk Morrison

WR Roscoe Parrish

K Dave Rayner

S Bryan Scott

LB Reggie Torbor

Restricted

OL Chad Rinehart

LS Garrison Sanborn

OL Kraig Urbik

Im afraid that your calculations are slightly off my friend. The Bills are about $25 million under the cap but the 16 free agents have already been factored into that so unfortunately you dont get another $5 million from that.

Now assuming the Bills follow your advice (which im not agreeing with or disagreeing with) the cap will take a hit next year of about $8 million to keep Stevie Johnson. The way it looks it will cost the Bills about $5 million plus a year to sign Chandler. The Demetrius Bell situation is a bit harder to predict and will depend alot on how aggressive other teams are. Considering the lack of quality offensive tackles that hit free agency this year.. he will likely get offered alot. For the sake of arguement lets put the number at about $5 million. (I think it will be higher but you might think it will be lower so i think 5 is fair. Finally, Reggie Corner made over $1.3 million last season. It was the final year of his rookie contract. Even if you get him at the same price (which you wont) by the time you add it all up you are looking at almost $20 million. If you sign all three of the restricted free agents at a hometown discount you will still be almost at your limit.

Now take into consideration that all the numbers i threw out there were on the conservative side in order to give you an advantage. Also remember that they have to sign their draft picks and fill up all any open roster spots left by departing free agents... you see where im going with this right?

You brought up a good point about cutting players to give yourself more cap space and the Bills certainly have a few that make sense to cut. But only then would you have enough to go get even one free agent you named and to be honest... you would have to cut an awful lot to sign almost any big named free agent.

Do you still want to resign all of the four Bills players?

I bet he gets cut during training camp. It won't be hard finding someone better than him.

I think he's a free agent but I bet if he wasn't you're right about him getting cut. Not that I think he's horrible but I do think they can definitely find an upgrade. It would be good if they could find a quality cornerback in the draft. Maybe as early as the 2nd Round.